Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Dump station curb - blue tote?

i am going to be at Silver Strand State Park in San Diego for a week. I ran across a picture of the dump station. It has a standard size street curb around the dump station. I have my blue tote and will be dumping every couple of days - grey water.

My question is, does anyone have a good way to get the blue tote high enough to get above the curb? I am thinking about making a little ramp, but I will already look like Jed Clampett with the blue tote. Building a ramp every time is not appealing to me.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #2

Do you have wedge type chocks that can act as a ramp to drag the tote up over the curb?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

I have the big yellow ones, but I will be using them on the trailer. I could build a couple out of 2x6 wood if I have to.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Can you just run your hose over the curb to dump the majority of the waste water, then when the tote is mostly empty, you can "hulk" it over the curb and dump the rest?

To quote the great Robin Williams movie "RV"; "It's just basic hydraulics!" But really, if the level of water in the tank is physically higher than the curb, it will push through the hose over the curb until the level equalizes on both sides of the curb. By that time it should only be a little bit of water left and you should be able to move the tote to the other side of the obstruction and finish the emptying process.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

That's basically how I have done it in the past.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #6

Don't suppose you have a flowjet and can fill the tote in the back of the truck and then dump it from the truck as well?
Or you could build a big ramp and wheel it into the back of the truck. Then at least it is only the people in your campsite that will be observing your struggles.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Can you just run your hose over the curb to dump the majority of the waste water, then when the tote is mostly empty, you can "hulk" it over the curb and dump the rest?

To quote the great Robin Williams movie "RV"; "It's just basic hydraulics!" But really, if the level of water in the tank is physically higher than the curb, it will push through the hose over the curb until the level equalizes on both sides of the curb. By that time it should only be a little bit of water left and you should be able to move the tote to the other side of the obstruction and finish the emptying process.
X2 -- In fact the curb is quite helpful with dumping the tote. I place the wheels against the curb when lifting so it doesn't roll away on you. I prefer the dump stations with curb in front. When you are down to the last 5 gallons or so the tote is very easy to lift and complete.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

I guess I could give it a try, but my dump valve on the tote is on the side and pretty low to the ground (like 2 inches). The curb is probably 6 inches or more. The contents of the tote will probably be at 8-10 inches. Just guessing, but I think that would only dump the 2-4 inches from the tote. I will figure something out and maybe take pictures if it is not too Beverly Hillbillies.

I do not have a flow jet. I rarely use my tote, so the ROI would be a very long time for me.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
I do not have a flow jet. I rarely use my tote, so the ROI would be a very long time for me.
ROI, DW hates it when I say that to her! It's all I do at work so why wouldn't I apply it to camping, right?

David & Amy Adkins
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Zeus, Little (the pups)
DJ-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:09 AM   #10

Quote:
I guess I could give it a try, but my dump valve on the tote is on the side and pretty low to the ground (like 2 inches). The curb is probably 6 inches or more. The contents of the tote will probably be at 8-10 inches. Just guessing, but I think that would only dump the 2-4 inches from the tote. I will figure something out and maybe take pictures if it is not too Beverly Hillbillies.

You probably got this figured out already, but you'll want to stand the tote up as much as you can so gravity will push the waste enough to overcome the curb. By the time the contents in the standing tote reach the level of the curb, there won't be much left and you can move it to wherever you need to be to finish the job.

If you leave the tote attached to the vehicle (like you towed it to the dump), or you have a 4 wheel version and it's laying horizontal, this won't work as well, you need to stand the tote up to make this work.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #11

Thats why I went with the little 12 gallon totes, instead of a single 25 gallon. I can lift 12 gallons into the truck.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #12

Well, that sucked. Who designs this stuff?

I was able to just pull really hard to get my blue tote up onto the curb. The worst part was my cap on the top of my blue tote broke a nub off and did not fully seal - as I pulled it up, 5 gallons poured out the top cap. It must have broken on the way from my trailer to the dump station. Luckily I had some on my hoses and was able to replace it. Good thing it was only grey water.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #13

Sorry man

Quote:
Well, that sucked. Who designs this stuff?

I was able to just pull really hard to get my blue tote up onto the curb. The worst part was my cap on the top of my blue tote broke a nub off and did not fully seal - as I pulled it up, 5 gallons poured out the top cap. It must have broken on the way from my trailer to the dump station. Luckily I had some on my hoses and was able to replace it. Good thing it was only grey water.

Sorry man, I feel your pain.
Were you just dumping 2.5 days worth of grey? (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday). Like a typical weekend warrior stay?
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #14

It was just a full 35 gallons from the trailer grey tank - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning. Then dumped as we left on Friday for black and grey. Glad I only had to do it one time. I would have definitely gone and bought some long wood planks and made a small ramp.