Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 03:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I find outside entertainment centers way more annoying.. the guy to the left of me is watching NASCAR the guy to the right of me is listening to country and they both keep upping the volume to drown out the other guy...
And they both think the world is also interested in the same things they are.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I'm living that nightmare as we speak! I won't even let my wife turn on our outside speakers...
I never ever turn mine on except at my home base site and only then if I'm sitting directly beside them with the volume very low.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #23

I have been to numerous campgrounds over the years, both private and National/State. All of them have had times of "quiet hours". I really do not have an expectation of complete and total silence the entire time while I am camping. I feel that "campground noise" such as people enjoying themselves and children playing kind of adds to the experience. If it was dead silent the entire time, I would probably be a little more bothered. If I wanted complete silence I would stay in my house at home.

As far as the stabilizer jacks, power wrenches and drills go...I understand each one of us at the campground has to setup when we get there and tear down when we leave. We each have our moments of being "noisy". It is for a very brief moment and the power devices are meant to speed up the process. What makes me get a good chuckle is the people that do not grease the stabilizer jacks and all you hear is the ear-piercing squeal across the campground. This happens powered or manual. I know I have been there.

I am sure I have been the noise maker over the years and I know I have been the recipient more than once. Just try to enjoy the whole camping experience and have a good time.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #24

Someone started a thread about "the sound of the door slamming" or something similar, that reminded them of camping. In that vein, I guess I always equated the various noises of setting up/tearing down campsites part of the experience, and our family is certainly not perfect when doing so. However, we are respectful and courteous of our neighbors, and simply expect the same in return. Most times we are not disappointed. The few times we are, well, camping is an experience whose sum total is greater than the individual parts. Healthy perspective keeps the equation honest.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #25

I started the thread, not sure now I am glad I did it. I do not expect quiet. I have a kid and a dog. I am even a scoutmaster. I love the sounds of camp. I cannot camp enough. It is something about impact wrenches I guess. An electric drill does the job, and it is quiet and respectful. Maybe I have had a bunch of bad luck this year. We have had multiple people this year, right next to us reset three times, moving the tt a foot or so, and then level the unit using the stablizers, pounding hard on them. Another came in at 2am, first yelling directions to each other, then use their impact wrench, it's 2 am. When we roll in, at that time, we are quiet and respectful, headlights are off, parking lights are on use a flashlight and hand commands rarely we talk quietly via phone. Level, and finish up during the day.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
Site Team

It does not bother me if they are packing up to leave or even setting up. Now 2am may be a little dicey.

It just seems that common sense and consideration for others is lacking more and more.

Most have it and some don't. That makes for lots of conversation to say the least.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #27

Norty, you're right on. There is no common sense and very little courtesy left, unless you're old enough to be old school. A little noise is normal for setting up, but not at 2 am. The state parks we like wont let you in after 10 pm, so it's a moot issue for us. Personally I laugh at using an impact wrench for stabilizers, onetime they won't be paying attention and then they will be buying a new jack. But will they learn their lesson????
secal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Norty, you're right on. There is no common sense and very little courtesy left, unless you're old enough to be old school. A little noise is normal for setting up, but not at 2 am. The state parks we like wont let you in after 10 pm, so it's a moot issue for us. Personally I laugh at using an impact wrench for stabilizers, onetime they won't be paying attention and then they will be buying a new jack. But will they learn their lesson????
This was at a SP, closes at 10, but this one does not have a gate. We now have self registration pay online or via a phone call, I guess this crew did not pay, as the Ranger was knocking at 7:30 am. So a little pay back.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
It's not about age; it's about how you were brought up.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #30

I have a Dewalt 18 volt impact wrench and I use it for the stabilizers jack. I have 3 sets. It does not take me very long at all to set the Jacks. We do not show up at 2 a.m. neither. It takes me about 45 seconds to set all three sets. Now if that bothers somebody then they have bigger problems than I want to know about. I have made blocks so the jacks don't go down all the way to the ground. Noise is something that goes with camping. Dogs, Kids, or even a party until it gets time for quiet time.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #31

Goes to campground full of people and expects what exactly?
Actually, I understand. If I pulled in at 2AM I'm not even going to dork with the stabilizers and sure as heck wouldn't be using loud power tools.
Setting them by hand crank is not possible for me- but using an impact driver makes NO sense at all. Seems as if it would do more potential damage than good.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #32

Like the last two post, I try to be sensitive to others around me. I have a cheap drill that I use to lower my stabilizers but would never do it at off times. I would use the power jack during setup as using the wrench that came with it makes no sense. I don't play loud music or party until late at night. That's just because I'm an old fogey. I will tell you my worst camping experience was at one of the chain campgrounds where most of the sites are seasonal ones. While the adults were partying around campfires, their teenage kids were riding custom golf carts around the campground until 1 am blaring loud music. BTW, there were posted quiet hours at this place.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #33

I don't think I have owned a cordless drill (non impact) in the last 25 years that didn't have a LOW setting for lower speed/ higher torque. Why not use that? I still use the hand crank though. Its the only exercise I get. Hahahaha
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I don't think I have owned a cordless drill (non impact) in the last 25 years that didn't have a LOW setting for lower speed/ higher torque. Why not use that? I still use the hand crank though. Its the only exercise I get. Hahahaha
On my old TT the stabilizers were so stiff you had to use an impact wrench to get them up or down, turning them by hand crank was a serious chore and a drill would have just stopped and hummed till it burned up.

The Wife insisted that the new trailer have power stabilizers so she can setup/take down the trailer herself if need be (since I broke my arm while camping last year and she had to strike the campsite herself).

And with the LCI remote it's even easier. Problem solved.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #35

I use a drill on low setting now. The last time I used my impact with the new trailer I was embarrassed and I realized I didn't need it. That being said, I used to have a popup that was aging and the only way I could get it up was to use an impact. The trailer itself was embarrassing so I guess that's why I didn't care about the noise.

My kids are still going to make more noise than an impact drill on the stabilizers though. They're more annoying too.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
We as a society are becoming more and more about me...heck with anyone else. If it bothers someone, too bad. And not just on impact tools, on so many issues. Arriving late and yelling directions, to lights capable of bring planes in and so many other obnoxious actions. Thank heavens i'm an old fart and won't have much longer to put up with this selfishness.

To some, only they are important. Perhaps they are all politicians..
I agree with you 100%.

I have a particular sore spot with 5er's that leave that bright moon light on all night

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

Someone asked me about why I don't use an impact on our last trip - I told them I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old for putting stabilizers down... they are getting to be like a NASCAR pit crew on those things... although they are probably as noisy as an impact lol!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #38

Every time I put them down my lazy but thinks about a drill and then I kick my self for thinkng about being so lazy. LOL! Our family has turned into a well oiled pit crew for set up and take down! I haz a proud!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #39

Loud exhaust at daybreak bother me.
But hey. It's just me.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #40

Why is the use of an electric impact wrench to operate stabilizer jacks so popular? Why not use a much more quiet VSR drill? In what way is an electric impact wrench the best tool for the purpose?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote