Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #31

Goes to campground full of people and expects what exactly?
Actually, I understand. If I pulled in at 2AM I'm not even going to dork with the stabilizers and sure as heck wouldn't be using loud power tools.
Setting them by hand crank is not possible for me- but using an impact driver makes NO sense at all. Seems as if it would do more potential damage than good.

VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #32

Like the last two post, I try to be sensitive to others around me. I have a cheap drill that I use to lower my stabilizers but would never do it at off times. I would use the power jack during setup as using the wrench that came with it makes no sense. I don't play loud music or party until late at night. That's just because I'm an old fogey. I will tell you my worst camping experience was at one of the chain campgrounds where most of the sites are seasonal ones. While the adults were partying around campfires, their teenage kids were riding custom golf carts around the campground until 1 am blaring loud music. BTW, there were posted quiet hours at this place.

redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #33

I don't think I have owned a cordless drill (non impact) in the last 25 years that didn't have a LOW setting for lower speed/ higher torque. Why not use that? I still use the hand crank though. Its the only exercise I get. Hahahaha
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I don't think I have owned a cordless drill (non impact) in the last 25 years that didn't have a LOW setting for lower speed/ higher torque. Why not use that? I still use the hand crank though. Its the only exercise I get. Hahahaha
On my old TT the stabilizers were so stiff you had to use an impact wrench to get them up or down, turning them by hand crank was a serious chore and a drill would have just stopped and hummed till it burned up.

The Wife insisted that the new trailer have power stabilizers so she can setup/take down the trailer herself if need be (since I broke my arm while camping last year and she had to strike the campsite herself).

And with the LCI remote it's even easier. Problem solved.

TT 2016 Jayco 28RLS
TV 2010 Chevy 2500HD 4x4/Z71 aka The Beast
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #35

I use a drill on low setting now. The last time I used my impact with the new trailer I was embarrassed and I realized I didn't need it. That being said, I used to have a popup that was aging and the only way I could get it up was to use an impact. The trailer itself was embarrassing so I guess that's why I didn't care about the noise.

My kids are still going to make more noise than an impact drill on the stabilizers though. They're more annoying too.

TV: 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4x
TT: 2016 174BH Baja Edition
schmittychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
We as a society are becoming more and more about me...heck with anyone else. If it bothers someone, too bad. And not just on impact tools, on so many issues. Arriving late and yelling directions, to lights capable of bring planes in and so many other obnoxious actions. Thank heavens i'm an old fart and won't have much longer to put up with this selfishness.

To some, only they are important. Perhaps they are all politicians..
I agree with you 100%.

I have a particular sore spot with 5er's that leave that bright moon light on all night

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

Someone asked me about why I don't use an impact on our last trip - I told them I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old for putting stabilizers down... they are getting to be like a NASCAR pit crew on those things... although they are probably as noisy as an impact lol!

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #38

Every time I put them down my lazy but thinks about a drill and then I kick my self for thinkng about being so lazy. LOL! Our family has turned into a well oiled pit crew for set up and take down! I haz a proud!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #39

Loud exhaust at daybreak bother me.
But hey. It's just me.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #40

Why is the use of an electric impact wrench to operate stabilizer jacks so popular? Why not use a much more quiet VSR drill? In what way is an electric impact wrench the best tool for the purpose?

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote