Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Electric Impact Wrenches

I have decided electronic impact wrenches in a CG are annoying. This year everyone seams to be using them. You can hear them everywhere and from a good distance.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #2

I've noticed many using electric impact drills to operate their manual stabilizer jacks. I can in no way explain why someone would use an impact drill on their stabilizer jacks; electric drill, yes, impact, NO!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #3

I use an impact wrench because of convenience, one socket for the stabilizers, one socket for the lug nuts on the trailer and another for the tv, all in a neat easy to carry package.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

We as a society are becoming more and more about me...heck with anyone else. If it bothers someone, too bad. And not just on impact tools, on so many issues. Arriving late and yelling directions, to lights capable of bring planes in and so many other obnoxious actions. Thank heavens i'm an old fart and won't have much longer to put up with this selfishness.

To some, only they are important. Perhaps they are all politicians..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

I use one.
About 3 to 5 seconds per jack.
Is that really so bad?
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #6

I was out camping a few years ago and I had the great idea that the next time out, I was going to bring my electric drill to drop the stabilizers.
Thankfully a few days later a new arrival showed up in the site next to ours and pulled out his drill and annoyed the heck out of me putting his stabilizers down. Made me change my mind on the wisdom of that one.... I mean really - is it that hard to hand crank them down - it's my eight year old sons job to do it anyways.
Swardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquero View Post
I use one.
About 3 to 5 seconds per jack.
Is that really so bad?
3-5 seconds each X 4 per trailer X 20 or so trailers = annoying

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

I can see where that would be annoying. Yet, there are things that everyone does that annoys someone else...even if they themselves don't see it as annoying. Someone who gets upset over impact wrenches may walk their dogs and not pick up after it....or be terribly inquisitive when walking by someone else's trailer...or leave early in the morning...or have a truck that belches black smoke...or cooks something smelly outside...or talks loudly outside...etc. etc. etc.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:17 AM   #9

I think we should all be completely alike in every way.

Then we would be so completely bored we would all go nuts.

Imagine a world full of completely crazy people who can't find a thing about anyone else to bitch about.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #10

Being brand new to the camping lifestyle, I try to be as quiet and respectful as possible while learning the ins and outs of setup, breakdown, and CG etiquette etc. I use a battery operated drill to raise and lower my stabilizers mostly because an old back and hip injury prevents me from bending and squatting for extended periods but I am more worried about the power tongue jack disturbing someone especially if I arrive at a site late. It makes much more noise than my battery operated drill.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #11

I find outside entertainment centers way more annoying.. the guy to the left of me is watching NASCAR the guy to the right of me is listening to country and they both keep upping the volume to drown out the other guy...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I find outside entertainment centers way more annoying.. the guy to the left of me is watching NASCAR the guy to the right of me is listening to country and they both keep upping the volume to drown out the other guy...
I'm living that nightmare as we speak! I won't even let my wife turn on our outside speakers...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Being brand new to the camping lifestyle, I try to be as quiet and respectful as possible while learning the ins and outs of setup, breakdown, and CG etiquette etc. I use a battery operated drill to raise and lower my stabilizers mostly because an old back and hip injury prevents me from bending and squatting for extended periods but I am more worried about the power tongue jack disturbing someone especially if I arrive at a site late. It makes much more noise than my battery operated drill.
I cringe every time I have to use my power jack. The thing sounds Horrible. The heck with electric impact drivers. Power tongue jacks are the worst.
Nhector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #14

I have never giving much thought to the sounds mentioned, I guess I sort of attribute them to the "sounds of camping". It's a bit like complaining the crashing waves of the ocean are two loud, or the ski boat and jet skis on the lake are too loud...to me it's just part of the experience.

We try to be very courteous campers, but I have 3 kids who run, play, ride bikes and generally have a good time. They don't run through other sites and disrespect people or property, but they certainly are not silent. We have had camping neighbors w/o any kids who made it known they were expecting silence in the CG...I didn't respond, but I sure wanted too. Not sure why their CG experience should take priority of my families.

If I was set up deep in the national Forrest boondock camping, it would be another story. But in any of the developed campgrounds its part of the program.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #15

It seems to me that noise is the cost of living. Unless you build a compound for yourself, walled off from the rest of society, you will be forced to experience the noise of others. There are limits, but expecting the silence of a church anywhere open to the public is probably unreasonable.

Jim
Old 07-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #16

Impact wrenches don't bother me they are not in use that long. The drunks that stay up past midnight blasting music and smoking blunts do!
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

I use my 18 volt dewalt to lower my jacks. It ratchets at the end of the jack lowering.

I also watch tv outside sometimes. I keep the volume low.

I also listen to music or sports broadcasts outside sometimes. I keep the volume low.

I'd like to say I'm sorry for offending people's delicate sensibilities, but I'm not.

I find this entire thread ridiculous. If you want no noise you need to go into a cone of silence. People talk, dogs bark, big diesels go by.
WDH hitches squeal as people are backing up their trailers.

Good freaking grief.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #18

I guess I'd be more worried about over tightening the jacks if you weren't careful when pulling them in. My 18v Riobi is quiet and has a clutch. But it seems like an impact wrench could really be rough.
But then I've never owned one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
I use my 18 volt dewalt to lower my jacks. It ratchets at the end of the jack lowering.

I also watch tv outside sometimes. I keep the volume low.

I also listen to music or sports broadcasts outside sometimes. I keep the volume low.

I'd like to say I'm sorry for offending people's delicate sensibilities, but I'm not.

I find this entire thread ridiculous. If you want no noise you need to go into a cone of silence. People talk, dogs bark, big diesels go by.
WDH hitches squeal as people are backing up their trailers.

Good freaking grief.

I need to get a list of all the campgrounds where the expectations are that I never make a sound, so I can be sure to never visit those places.

Anytime you've got neighbors only a few feet away, you're going to hear some of the things those neighbors do. If you don't like hearing some of the things your neighbors do, then you need to find a way to put lots of space between you and your nearest neighbor.

This reminds me of people that buy houses next to airports, and then complain about the noise from airplanes.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #20

R e s p e c t

[QUOTE=justman;424327]I can see where that would be annoying. Yet, there are things that everyone does that annoys someone else...even if they themselves don't see it as annoying. Someone who gets upset over impact wrenches may walk their dogs and not pick up after it....or be terribly inquisitive when walking by someone else's trailer...or leave early in the morning...or have a truck that belches black smoke...or cooks something smelly outside...or talks loudly outside...etc. etc. etc.[/QUOTE

I know for the life of me I cannot fathom why I leave the peace and serenity of my country home on a small private lake to spend one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer in the Reserves of the Trailerhood!
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote