Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Electrical question

This isn't about the electrical system of my Jayco persay, but about a mod I am attempting to do. Help if you can. I am purchasing 2 air circulators that I am going to install on the bunk house ceiling. I am going to cover the wires with wire molding. I would like to go from one wire on each into just one wire total. I plan on installing one on each side of the roof vent facing opposite directions, then going to the back of the bunk house with the power cords. They are .3 amps each btw. Somewhere past the second fan, I want to combine both wires into one and continue from there. I have googled the heck out of this and can not find a thing. Any help appreciated.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

What do you mean by "I would like to go from one wire on each into just one wire total."? You can't wire anything with just one wire. Need a supply and return/ground. Maybe I'm not understanding the intent.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Electrical question

Being the fans draw so little amps, why couldn't you run stranded wire like what you would use for a lamp. Then you could solder it and use heat shrink?
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondite View Post
What do you mean by "I would like to go from one wire on each into just one wire total."? You can't wire anything with just one wire. Need a supply and return/ground. Maybe I'm not understanding the intent.
Sorry, by wire, I should have said power cord. Basically a lamp cord. Here is a link to the fans. http://www.westsidewholesale.com/hea...0(CR1-0117-06)

Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Being the fans draw so little amps, why couldn't you run stranded wire like what you would use for a lamp. Then you could solder it and use heat shrink?
That is what I want to do. I just wasn't sure if it was a safe thing to do. Do I have to solder it, or could I use butt plugs that I crimp then heat shrink? Do I use the same size stranded wire, or should I go heavier? Here is a link to the fans. Thanks for your help. http://www.westsidewholesale.com/hea...0(CR1-0117-06)

Old 05-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

Electrical question

I would solder them then heat shrink. Less chance of them pulling apart. I work in the auto industry and i never use a butt connector. Everything gets solder or a straight run with no connections to come loose or voltage drop.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

My experience with crimped butt connectors is that they are very unreliable. Go with soldering.
WoodLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #8

if the fans are to feed two seperate areas, switch each one~~~difference in temp needs. Fuse each close to power sourse ~ coming off say a duplex plug fuse right there. Allow enough back side of fans area to draw air. Put fan in an area that it/they can be rotated, make your own center pinned mount if necessary ~ again different strokes for different folks. Put fans out of harms way ~ murphys law. Consider timers or a thermostat inline shut off.
neverenoftackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLark View Post
My experience with crimped butt connectors is that they are very unreliable. Go with soldering.
I disagree. I work in the marine industry and done thousands of crimp connectors with no failures. it is dependent on the quality of the connectors, the crimpers and the experise of the person doing the crimp. Learning to crimp is much easier to learn than learning to do a proper solder connection.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #10

Krackeer, if I understand you correctly yes, you can run just one set of wires but you need run pigtails off it at each fan location. You have to run a "parallel" circuit and not a "series" circuit or your second fan may not get enough voltage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	7676

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote