Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Electrical System on a PUP

So, I've taken the tactic that I don't trust any of the systems on my "new to me" PUP.

It's a 1995 Jay1207, it has the Carson 10amp Converter. (The photo I took is very blurry, so it's a bit hard to get the model number, so i'm not going to post it.) It has the 3 position switch, Converter, Off, Batt.

It also has a 24 battery. The battery does NOT appear to have a fuse inline with it. I need to open up the converter compartment (Hopefully the weather will break here, it's been raining for a week) and take a look to see if any fuses are put inside there.

So here are my specific concerns:

Where / how big a fuse should go inline with the battery? (I'd assume Positive, but i've seen references to Negative on the forum, and I'd assume as close to the battery as possible)

Inspecting the wiring, I see a line from the Running lights has been tapped up to the box where the converter is. I do not know where this goes, but since the only thing in the box is the converter, I'm assuming that's it's destination (I realize I need to provide more info on this). Is this normal? Since the trailer is setup with a 4 pin connector, do you think they were trying to run the Converter off the TV?

Mike
Mpking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

I have a 93 with the same set up . from the converter the wire goes to the ceiling light the tapped wire goes to the bunk lights. on mine there is a fuse for the bunk lights in the left front top corner stuffed in the canvas. my battery also did not have a fuse. the fuses for the battery are in the converter box. also mine is not set up to charge the battery so I keep a battery charger in my tow vehicle. the paperwork on my converter says ''not equipped to charge batteries'' hope this helps
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

So the green wire that was tapped off the running lights, was just that. There are alot of running lights on the trailer, and that's where the wire goes, it just took a shortcut thru the converter compartment.

So I don't see a single Fuse from the battery to the converter. (Weather finally broke so I could get her open and take some more pictures)

The breaker pictured is only for the 120V connection, and the two 7.5 fuse are for the two output circuits.

I really opened it up. I did find that I only have a single circuit connected, the 2nd circuit is just dead-ended behind the converter. Future expansion I guess? Maybe I could put a 12Volt fridge in the future if the Camper passes muster.

I've already decided to replace the GRP24 battery with a GRP27.

When I do that, Should I put a fuse in? On what Terminal? Every automotive install involving electronics has ALWAYS required a fuse near the battery, so that's what I'm basing this on. Maybe Campers are different.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

on mine I installed a waterproof inline 20 amp fuse at the battery. use a 30 amp fuse holder and put a smaller fuse in it and you can always replace fuse with a larger size if you add electronics. I also changed my 4 pole trailer connector to a 7 pole and hooked it to the battery to charge while in tow.
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper388 View Post
I have a 93 with the same set up . from the converter the wire goes to the ceiling light the tapped wire goes to the bunk lights. on mine there is a fuse for the bunk lights in the left front top corner stuffed in the canvas. my battery also did not have a fuse. the fuses for the battery are in the converter box. also mine is not set up to charge the battery so I keep a battery charger in my tow vehicle. the paperwork on my converter says ''not equipped to charge batteries'' hope this helps
Hey what converter do you have, now I'm concerned that I might have to do the same.