Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Talking Eliminate New RV Smell?

We just took ownership of a brand new Eagle 351 RLTS and are extremly excited to get on the road. Hopefully in about a week. We have a small problem that I am hoping someone on the forum has an answer for us. My wife is a cancer patient that has had a stemcell transplant. Because of this, her eyes and lungs are extremly sensitive to any odors hence the smell from the materials used to build the unit. Does anyone have an idea as to how we can clear the air in the rv of the fumes? They are not any worse than normal, she just happens to be sensitive to them.

I am currently running a combination "Charcoal / HEPA" filter but it does not seem to be helping much. I am on my way to pick up a new charcoal filter for the unit now. Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way, I am amazed at how much better it tows than our tt did & most of all, I have an excuse to ride the motorcycle to FL before we take the RV down.
hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Sorry she is having to endure that. I would think there is not much you can do to hasten it other than opening it to fresh air and ventilation.

We bought a new 351RLTS that sat on the dealer lot for 8 months and it had no odors. Our one new rig before this one was fresh from the factory and it took months before the out gassing ended. It was not a problem cause we weren't sensitive to it.

Good luck.

PS, I had the rig weighed last weekend and was pleasantly surprised. I plan to post on another thread about it. This new rig weighs only 700 lbs more than my old one even though it is 7 ft longer and has 3 slides instead of 2.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #3

Out trailer was built in December and we bought it in February. The new smell didn't last long. Cooking odors should help mask it a little faster.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys. Looks like opening it up for a while is the best bet. The HEPA/Charcoal filter works while it is running, so it will help while we are in the unit. Until then we just need some warm weather (Florida) and open windows and vents. The only way that is going to happen is to hit the road.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Site Team

The odors seem to be the worse when the trailer is not used for a time and it sits in the sun. I have heard that cranking up the furnace to about 90 and letting it run for a several hours will release some of the fumes and new smell from the various adhesives and products they use, including formaldehyde. Then you air it out for awhile. But I have no real experience with that procedure, only hearsay on RVnet. In time the smell will gradually dissipate, but that`s little comfort to your wife. My DW is also sensitive to allergants and chemicals. We installed a memory foam mattress topper and whatever was in that bothered her really badly to the point she was having trouble breathing. She let me know it had to go and I gave it away...........
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
The odors seem to be the worse when the trailer is not used for a time and it sits in the sun. I have heard that cranking up the furnace to about 90 and letting it run for a several hours will release some of the fumes and new smell from the various adhesives and products they use, including formaldehyde. Then you air it out for awhile. But I have no real experience with that procedure, only hearsay on RVnet. In time the smell will gradually dissipate, but that`s little comfort to your wife. My DW is also sensitive to allergants and chemicals. We installed a memory foam mattress topper and whatever was in that bothered her really badly to the point she was having trouble breathing. She let me know it had to go and I gave it away...........
I just put a memory foam mattress last night. The increased heat makes sense as the formaldehyde adhesives are "Heat Cured" chemicals. Increased temps should make the gas flash off quicked. I will give that a try as soon as we get to warmer temps.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausknwa View Post
I just put a memory foam mattress last night. The increased heat makes sense as the formaldehyde adhesives are "Heat Cured" chemicals. Increased temps should make the gas flash off quicked. I will give that a try as soon as we get to warmer temps.
As others have said - there are lots of curing chemicals in there so time and fresh air are about all you can do. Tough right now with it being cold....and trying to stay warm.

I would recommend making sure you have MaxxAir type covers on your vents and keep them open all the time.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

I second the MaxxAir vents they are great. I would clean the trailer, not that its dirty. You can vacum the carpet to remove loose fibers and wash all the linens. Carpet is a major source of odors.
etep571190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

At the risk of offending anyone, in my line of work I often encounter people that like to partake in the use of a certain "green leafy material". They are absolutely oblivious to how strong it smells and are shocked when I ask them where it is. That stuff can cover the scent of anything else!! I'm not advocating giving a try, just found it humorous.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Yes. Collards will smell up everything! LOL
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

I thought he was talking about turnip greens!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #12

No, poke salad...betcha there aren't too many JOF'ers that ever ate poke salad. I did...once. Never again!
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #13

Of course Medicinal use "collard greens" could make it OK.....Depending on where you live. The State of Georgia does not recognize any legitimate medical use for "collards' and therefore it is a controlled substance.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #14

All HEPA's are not created the same. Currently I have some Honeywells running in my house that are quite effective in removing odors and keeping dust down to a minimum. They are quite loud if you run them on full blast but not bad on low. They are the round models with liftime filters and you can buy a more advanced pre-filter that will remove even smaller particulate and odors. Although it's probaly not going to elminate the odors due to curing, it might make enough of a difference for your wife. I also have Maxx airII vent covers on all my vents which does help with fresh air no matter what the weather. Although it's winter you could crack a vent just to keep some outside air coming in to dilute the odors.
It's going to take a full 6-12 months for most of the odors to suppress.

Perhaps a carpet cleaning outfit could clean everything for you to reduce the new odors faster?

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Just pulled 5.5 oz. of "greens" out of a traffic stop. It spent one hour sitting in my trunk while I booked the perps and my entire car stinks now. I'll be smelling it for weeks!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #16

I really appreciated all the posts on this subject. Just wanted to let you all know, the smell vanished after the first few days on the road. We vacumed the carpets, left the roof vents open and ran a hepa filter with a charcoal pre filter at night. BTY we really like the 351 RLTS especially the Polar Package. Had a few nights in the mid 20's on the way down but you would not have known it inside the unit.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Site Team

If mama's happy, everyone is happy!
Gator roll-up bed cover