Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Instead of using the pink stuff I will add windshield washer solvent in all drain traps.
Not sure why the switch, on sale, they are both about the same price here. And the plumbing antifreeze is non-toxic, the washer fluid is not. For anyone else reading this, probably fine for the waste traps, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you sub in washer fluid in your freshwater system!

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Not sure why the switch, on sale, they are both about the same price here. And the plumbing antifreeze is non-toxic, the washer fluid is not. For anyone else reading this, probably fine for the waste traps, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you sub in washer fluid in your freshwater system!
Again I will say I ONLY use washer fluid in the drains As far as it being toxic that I fully understand and that is why it only goes into drains NEVER IN THE WATER SUPPLY. Now for all of those that are thinking toxic Just imagine the amount of washer fluid that is sprayed onto the windshields of all the vehicles in North America and winds up on the roads.

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Again I will say I ONLY use washer fluid in the drains As far as it being toxic that I fully understand and that is why it only goes into drains NEVER IN THE WATER SUPPLY. Now for all of those that are thinking toxic Just imagine the amount of washer fluid that is sprayed onto the windshields of all the vehicles in North America and winds up on the roads.
I'd be more worried that the windshield washer fluid, of which the main ingredient that keeps it from freezing is alcohol (the rest is mostly water), would deteriorate before your first freeze and not provide any protection whatsoever. Unless the RV antifreeze isn't readily available in your area, the two dollars difference a gallon just isn't worth it!

Was thinking about winterizing here in NW Ohio, but then they're calling for 80* temps this week! Heck, the leaves haven't even turned yet, much less fallen off the trees! I'm not complaining!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

Just my own personal experience with windshield washer fluid. It does, and will freeze when you get much below freezing temps unless you are using a special winter blend. It's only because the defroster is running on high in my truck that it doesn't freeze solid the moment it hits my 10 degree windshield. I see zero benefit in saving 2 dollars to put non-RV chemicals in *any* of my RV systems, even if it's just the drains. "penny wise, pound foolish" Anyway, whatever floats your boat... but the pink stuff is cheap enough.