Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

End of season

The DW and DC (dear child) and I got home this afternoon from our last camping trip of the season. We had some minor issues in our 16 trips and the dealer handled them heroically and timely with our warranty. I still am very happy we switched to Jayco and got the 2 year warranty. I have already pulled the low point drains and took out the water filter which was plum full of iron deposits and sand. I am glad that filter was there! Now I guess I'm going to have to read up on the proper winterization process for our 377. I am hoping to use less than 2 gallons of antifreeze. We are a little sad this season is over but are already looking forward to next year!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Sorry about the last camping trip. We live in Az and we don't have a last camping trip. We camp all year long.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
The DW and DC (dear child) and I got home this afternoon from our last camping trip of the season. We had some minor issues in our 16 trips and the dealer handled them heroically and timely with our warranty. I still am very happy we switched to Jayco and got the 2 year warranty. I have already pulled the low point drains and took out the water filter which was plum full of iron deposits and sand. I am glad that filter was there! Now I guess I'm going to have to read up on the proper winterization process for our 377. I am hoping to use less than 2 gallons of antifreeze. We are a little sad this season is over but are already looking forward to next year!
We're in the same place. Last trip was a week ago. TT is parked for the winter. Protecting it from freezing temps will be very soon.

Don't skimp in the antifreeze. A $5 bottle is protecting an expen$ive toy. One broken fitting more than pays for an extra bottle of pink stuff!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

We have one last trip starting Thursday.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

I winterized 2 weeks ago, took almost exactly 2 gallons. If you blow out all of your lines with air, you could probably get by with 1 gallon, mostly just in your drains. I know a few people here go with that approach. I may try that next year when I have more confidence that I can purge the water out of everything that isn't being displaced with the RV antifreeze. Not taking any chances this time around.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
We're in the same place. Last trip was a week ago. TT is parked for the winter. Protecting it from freezing temps will be very soon.

Don't skimp in the antifreeze. A $5 bottle is protecting an expen$ive toy. One broken fitting more than pays for an extra bottle of pink stuff!
I have 2 more trips left this season before I winterize. When I used to do my boat I never scrimped on antifreeze. I always used way more then I needed just to be sure. I plan to do the same with my camper...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #7

In 35 PLUS years I have never used the pink stuff and have never had any problems with lines freezing I blow out the lines with air and also blow out all drain traps Leave the low point drains open and then a few days later give the lines another shot of air. Instead of using the pink stuff I will add windshield washer solvent in all drain traps. Drain the WH. Also make sure all tanks are empty and the water pump is dry
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
In 35 PLUS years I have never used the pink stuff and have never had any problems with lines freezing I blow out the lines with air and also blow out all drain traps Leave the low point drains open and then a few days later give the lines another shot of air. Instead of using the pink stuff I will add windshield washer solvent in all drain traps. Drain the WH. Also make sure all tanks are empty and the water pump is dry

It only takes once.... and a broken pipe will cost more than your lifetime savings on anti-freeze before you even get started fixing the damage. Glad it works for you.... Why is it that a guy will spend a small fortune on a trailer and then play cheapskate games with it when it comes to maintenance?

The fact that you go back a few days later to blow it out a second time just demonstrates that even you aren't positive you got it all out.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #9

We decided our last trip has already occurred. Work and life has just gotten in the way this fall, and there just is not any open weekends until December. So I guess I will have to think about cleaning her up.

As for using less than two gallons of antifreeze, I can do it in less than a gallon, but I buy two. I first blow out the water lines with CA (Compressed Air). Then when I am satisfied, I then add antifreeze. I store my HTT in northern MN, and it can get really cold (-30 or less). So I do not like to dilute my antifreeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Sound here, temperatures of -30* for extended periods of time are not unheard of. I blow out the lines, pump antifreeze through them, then blow them out again. Whatever ends up in the drains will protect those. Extra work, but I know it's done properly; anything left in the lines is only antifreeze. In the spring I just fill up the fresh water tank with water and bleach solution and pump that through the whole system, flushing and sanitizing at the same time.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Instead of using the pink stuff I will add windshield washer solvent in all drain traps.
Not sure why the switch, on sale, they are both about the same price here. And the plumbing antifreeze is non-toxic, the washer fluid is not. For anyone else reading this, probably fine for the waste traps, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you sub in washer fluid in your freshwater system!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Not sure why the switch, on sale, they are both about the same price here. And the plumbing antifreeze is non-toxic, the washer fluid is not. For anyone else reading this, probably fine for the waste traps, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you sub in washer fluid in your freshwater system!
Again I will say I ONLY use washer fluid in the drains As far as it being toxic that I fully understand and that is why it only goes into drains NEVER IN THE WATER SUPPLY. Now for all of those that are thinking toxic Just imagine the amount of washer fluid that is sprayed onto the windshields of all the vehicles in North America and winds up on the roads.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Again I will say I ONLY use washer fluid in the drains As far as it being toxic that I fully understand and that is why it only goes into drains NEVER IN THE WATER SUPPLY. Now for all of those that are thinking toxic Just imagine the amount of washer fluid that is sprayed onto the windshields of all the vehicles in North America and winds up on the roads.
I'd be more worried that the windshield washer fluid, of which the main ingredient that keeps it from freezing is alcohol (the rest is mostly water), would deteriorate before your first freeze and not provide any protection whatsoever. Unless the RV antifreeze isn't readily available in your area, the two dollars difference a gallon just isn't worth it!

Was thinking about winterizing here in NW Ohio, but then they're calling for 80* temps this week! Heck, the leaves haven't even turned yet, much less fallen off the trees! I'm not complaining!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #14

Just my own personal experience with windshield washer fluid. It does, and will freeze when you get much below freezing temps unless you are using a special winter blend. It's only because the defroster is running on high in my truck that it doesn't freeze solid the moment it hits my 10 degree windshield. I see zero benefit in saving 2 dollars to put non-RV chemicals in *any* of my RV systems, even if it's just the drains. "penny wise, pound foolish" Anyway, whatever floats your boat... but the pink stuff is cheap enough.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote