Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2015, 04:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not yet, but I have seen a few where it would be easier to go the wrong way on the loop and back in from the other direction. I have seen many people do this over the years.

I did have the opposite happen to me last spring. Backed in with no issues, nice and smooth and easy, unhooked, fairly large site. When it was time to leave, it was a major pain. I could not pull forwards due to all the large trees along street side of the TT were all in the wrong places. I had to do a lot of jockeying. I think it took me 30+ minutes to move 5 feet. I was just about to contact the State Park Ranger for some help, once we got about 1/2" of clearance between the roof and a LARGE tree branch.
Similar situation but I wasn't as lucky.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_171604.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	18103

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:30 AM   #22

That bites... hopefully it was just the ladder and you can repair it.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #23
BJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I generally book state campgrounds and the website asks the length of my trailer. I always add 5' to make sure I don't book a site that's too tight.
I have the 19H and do it so I don't get cut short with the bed flopped out. Last site it was still a little close to the brush with the pedestal a little too far away.
BJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #24

My sister booked a few campsites for a family camping vacation 3 yrs ago. Upon arrival pulling my new 24' TT, the sites were quite small and she gave me the biggest site but unfortunately it was on a hill, I was worried that the rear bumper of the TT was going to hit. I barely got it in and had to use every piece of 2x6 blocks that I had in order to level the trailer. I had to park my truck sideways with part of it on the road way,
Old 05-18-2015, 06:30 AM   #25

I've camped twice at the Wilderness Campground in Branson, Mo. I didn't have any problems getting into the two sites I utilized, however, there are several sites that were occupied that, to this day, I don't know how the individual got the RV into the site. Narrow road, tight corner and Trees, trees, trees. I suspect to get into a couple of the sites, one would have to circle the circle backwards.
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #26

No not really but that's only because if a pull through is available, I'll snag that, otherwise, I always make sure my dear old, retired truck driver dad is with me. He rarely takes the wheel, he stands back and hollers commands at me with a smidge of encouragement I'm getting better, less commands maybe two extra "atta girl" but still have not perfected it yet.
BTW, as I explain to many people, backing up is not a genetic trait.
Kennedy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #27

Not yet, but something like this is a fear of mine:

Old 05-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #28

What does that video have to do with getting into a spot at a campground? A bad driver is a bad driver.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #29

I've had some tight sites to get into before with my pop-up. Haven't with the Jayco yet. I think mainly because momma calls ahead and does her homework to make sure we don't have a problem. She's my "eyes" when backing up and she does an awesome job! We use our cell phones (mine on Bluetooth hands free). My honest opinion is...pop-ups are DEFINATELY harder to backup than a TT's. They get a little squirrely.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #30

I've had a few that were really strange, and/or small.

We used to go to Governor Dodge SP in WI every year. One year when we still had our pop-up, we couldn't get our preferred sites so they put us in a random site. The site length was fine. But it was a long narrow drive that was sloped and the sides dropped off less than a foot from each side of the trailer. Needless to say that made for a 2 foot drop right off the step. Not good. Went back to the office and they gave us a "secret" site that was not on the site maps. That site was one of the best in the park.

There is a little CG at Cumberland Falls SP in KY. The sites are so small that anything longer than a 17 ft trailer is too big. Large rigs that manage to squeeze in hang off the backs of the sites over nothing.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
What does that video have to do with getting into a spot at a campground? A bad driver is a bad driver.
You must be a blast at parties.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #32

Sorry, not trying to bash you. Just don't see the relevance to that specific video and getting into a campsite. That guy was in the middle of nowhere and didn't know how to make the corner. Almost like he forgot he had a trailer behind him.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
snip...
Not good. Went back to the office and they gave us a "secret" site that was not on the site maps. ...snip
Years ago, we rented a popup for DW, MIL, son and I. We camped in several different CG, but were give a site in one CG was unacceptable. Went up to the office. Although they were busy, they gave us their 'secret' site, not on their map. It was just getting dark, but we we happy not to be driving anymore that day; just set up, ate a quick meal, and went to bed.

That night, it briefly rained rather hard (you already know where this is going, don't you). When we got up there was about 6" of water all around and both the trailer and the TV were in the 'secret' site -- now lake. I was relieved we didn't get LOTS of rain. Anyway, Son and I were elected to wade around and get things ready quickly so the TV, with the ladies inside, could be towed to dry ground for their morning journey to the restroom.

BTW, the site we rejected was dry... but you knew that, didn't you.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote