Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #41

We have been using the Surge Guard Portable 30 Amp protector for several years (model:18277). Last summer we were camping in the Poconos and my power shut off. I looked at my Surge Guard and it showed 134 volts trying to pass thru the system. The Surge Guard will automatically disconnect your trailer system from the pedestal on either a high voltage or low voltage problem at the pedestal. As I watched it for several minutes, as the voltage went down to 124 volts, my trailer power came back on. Later, as I was doing some stuff outside the trailer, my kids came up saying there was no power in the trailer again. I looked at the Surge Guard and saw 97 volts. When it came up to 108 volts, the power came back on in the trailer. We notified the camp ground manager that there were issues. He didn't know anything about it. Maintenance came and looked at it and claimed they couldn't find any issues. Later that day, power went out to the trailer again and I saw 139 volts on the display.
5 trailers around me that had no protection had melted power prongs. The cost of the Surge Guard more than paid for itself that day.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #42

Back in the 1980's I owned a software development firm. We built a 2 story building near the Georgia Tech Campus with underground power. Georgia Power put a transformer in a box outside the building.
As you might imagine for a software firm - we had a LOT of computers. Most of them were Dell and they were dying right and left. After replacing about the 20 or 25th power supply it finally occurred to me to check the line voltage. It was running from 140 to 150v given time of day.
Georgia Power came out and said that all large transformers have multiple taps on them to let the installer vary the output voltage slightly to account for manufacturing differences in the transformer. Whoever installed this one didn't get it even close to right. They changed it and we never had another problem.
That taught me the value of checking power - even in new systems. Get into a part of the country - or just into a rural area with an old power infrastructure, loads going up/down at different times of the day, generator going on and off line.
Yea - I'm putting a power managment system on my new rig as soon as it gets here.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote