Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Extended Warranty?

I had the closing on my new to me 2010 Jay Feather today. They offered me to purchase a protection plan. It's pretty expensive. I think the cheapest option was 12 months at $1,200. The 5 Year was $1,500. Can anyone tell me what their opinion is on it, whether it's worth it or if there are other options out there? This is my first "real camper". I only had a pop up before.

Thank you
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

I do not like extended warranties and consider myself "self-insured". I've never cared for them because I figure if the company makes a good product there should be no need. I also figure to put the warranty company profit into my pocket. Sooner or later, I will have some sort of failure but consider all of the warranty payments I didn't make over the years will pay for a few failures. That's my logic anyway.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #3

I agree with Skip. Also, Consumer Reports always states to forget the extended warranty.

However, if you think you need one, just like the price of the RV, the price of the warranty is negotiable. The closer will tell you otherwise, but he makes a profit off the EW and doesn't pay the price he is asking you to pay!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #4

Too much fine print involved. Most warranties require you to get everything in the trailer serviced by a dealer once or twice a year or they are void. The price to service all the appliances and axle, check the seals and whatever else will likely be more than any possible repairs.

I walked away from a deal on a new trailer I was in the process of purchasing after the salesman would not stop pushing the extended Warranty sales pitch.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

Good Sam has reasonable rates for covering major systems and appliances. I paid about $350/year on my 2007 Outback, with $200 deductible. It paid back the cost of the premium once, nut a new fridge could cost $1500, plus labor for installation. They don't require you have annual checkups. If you do your own winterizing and maintenance work, keep good records of what/when/and how much you spent on materials. Can't hurt.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Good Sam has reasonable rates for covering major systems and appliances. I paid about $350/year on my 2007 Outback, with $200 deductible. It paid back the cost of the premium once, nut a new fridge could cost $1500, plus labor for installation. They don't require you have annual checkups. If you do your own winterizing and maintenance work, keep good records of what/when/and how much you spent on materials. Can't hurt.
Ok great I am going to look into this. Why would I need to keep records of how much I spent on materials for winterizing and maintenance?
Thanks
lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

My opinion, based on my own experiences, if you can't afford the maintenance & repairs on something, don't buy it. Standard insurance will cover everything else. This goes for home warranties, extended vehicle warranties, etc. Too many gotchas in contracts designed to make businesses money.

Others may have better luck than I!
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #8

Extended Warranty?

We reluctantly bought the extended warranty for our 2010 GMC Acadia we purchased used with 30k miles on it. In the last year--well outside of the factory warranty--we've had the differential, master cylinder, suspension, and steering replaced. Total bill without warranty would've been close to $7,000 for all of that. I saw each and every invoice, so that's not a guesstimate. We received a loaner with each repair.

We paid $0 for any of those repairs.

The extended warranty cost us $2,500. Consequently, we purchased it for our new F-150 that replaced the Acadia and the 23MRB that we'll pick up on Saturday.

Money well spent.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #9
Site Team

I never buy extended warranties. I am way ahead after many years of purchases.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
We reluctantly bought the extended warranty for our 2010 GMC Acadia we purchased used with 30k miles on it. In the last year--well outside of the factory warranty--we've had the differential, master cylinder, suspension, and steering replaced. Total bill without warranty would've been close to $7,000 for all of that. I saw each and every invoice, so that's not a guesstimate. We received a loaner with each repair.

We paid $0 for any of those repairs.

The extended warranty cost us $2,500. Consequently, we purchased it for our new F-150 that replaced the Acadia and the 23MRB that we'll pick up on Saturday.

Money well spent.
I had a similar experience when I bought a 1999 Suburban, in 2002. It was out of factory warranty and I did not know the previous owner nor how it was used or abused. In the course of the three years I owned it, the extended warranty I purchased from the dealer paid for replacing a transmission, fuel pump (gas tank has to be removed), alternator, and an electric window motor. Total for repairs would have been $6000. I paid nothing.

I used to think I was ahead in the long run by taking my chances, too. That experience taught me otherwise.

And as far as the notion of not buying anything I can't afford to replace or repair out of pocket - I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that is a foolish notion. I don't buy extended warranties on appliances, TVs, electronics, etc, but with things like vehicles and RVs, I believe purchasing GOOD warranties can be beneficial. I didn't purchase one for my daughter's 8 year old car, and I've spent over $2500 on repairs in the last year.

Good Sam sells good warranties for reasonable prices. I've had several repairs done over the years that would have cost me thousands of $$$, but I only paid the $200 deductible. For me, they have saved me from having to dig deep on more than one occasion. Just depends on your ability to pay for expensive repairs. Not everyone's situation is the same.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Ok great I am going to look into this. Why would I need to keep records of how much I spent on materials for winterizing and maintenance?
Thanks
Sometimes a warranty company wants proof that you performed regular inspections and maintenance. They don't cover wear and tear, but do pay for failures. Keeping good documentation of procedures and costs will help prove that was done. Example: If you can show records that you winterized in the fall, and your water pump fails the next season, the warranty will likely cover the replacement. Good Sam has covered a water pump and replaced a refrigerator for me - only cost me a couple hundred dollars.

If you can afford to cover these costs out of pocket and outside your monthly household budget, you can skip a warranty and save the money. Warranties from dealers are usually expensive and restrictive, as stated earlier.

You can contact Camping World (visit their website) and inquire about a Good Sam warranty. You don't have to buy it if you don't like it.

Scoutr2 (Mike)