Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Question Extended Warranty on Class C

Looks like I am gonna start with my newbie questions even before I get my RV.

I am in the process of buying my first RV of any type, it is a used 2010 GreyHawk 31FK. It only has 3500 miles on it.

I am suppose to go and close the deal on Saturday.

As would be expected the dealer offered an the extended warranty for it, which I never usually take on anything. The surprised look on my wife's face while I let him ramble on and give the quotes was kinda funny.

But as I was explaining to her afterward, I have absolutely no feel for the value of an extended warranty on an RV...and was possibly considering it. I guess it is the whole fear of the unknown. And once I did some research on the web for the specific insurance co, they don't seem to have the best customer service. The policy would be through Tier One.

So, oh wise ones...is the policy worth it or not? Any opinions on that company or extended warranties in general?

Thanks
Rick
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

We choose not to get the extended warranty on our trailer. Your motorhome on the other hand has more things that can be a problem. Like an engine and an automatic transmission. I do have an extended warranty on my truck and new quad. There isn't much in a trailer that will cost more than around a thousand dollars but a transmission could easily be over three thousand. I am sure others will chime in.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Clutch, thanks for the response

To clarify, the warranty does not cover anything in the drivetrain...so in a sense it is equivalent to a TT policy. I have a year and 30K miles left on the Ford warranty for the tranny and engine.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #4

I have a 2012 31FS, bought new with the 7 year extended. No regrets. It is transferable and our plan is 5 years for the unit then upgrade. The balance on the warranty will help push the sale. Bet you got significant price breaks getting a 2010 and with only 3500 miles it is still new. FYI something I had to learn, the Jayco part is 2010 but the chassis is probably a 2009. You need to know that for parts.
Wild4Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

IMHO Extended warranties are a gamble. The seller is betting he will make money on the deal, the consumer is betting something major will need repair and the policy will pay for itself.
The seller will make money in the long haul (making more $$ than they pay out in claims) or they will go out of business.

If you are a handy person you'll fix most things that go wrong. If you are less handy and need more professional services, then...

like Dirty Harry says, "Do ya feel lucky?"

I didn't buy, but then I'm new to this and may get a rude awakening.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote