Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Extending Cell Coverage to Dead Zone

No judging or telling me camping isn't about electronics please!

We are camping in a dead zone for close to a week next week. There is some weaker coverage on a road outside of the park. Is there any way to get a cell signal boost to our campsite?

Thanks

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Wilson weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell Phone Booster Kit - 470510
I've used this type of booster for years they are not perfect, but they are pretty dang good!
Rvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Here is another post regarding enhancing your cell phone signal... he also has a link to his blog... may be what you are looking for... a little pricey..

Hope this helps, you may want to contact dcplumer via private message for his latest thoughts regarding the product

When we have bad cell coverage, and have enhanced Wi-Fi working, I forward our cell phones to the Magic Jack number which uses the internet, but we don't always pick up a wiFi signal from someplace..

Don

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ect-32427.html

Edward Plumer: Yet Another Trailer Antenna
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Solutions too pricey unfortunately. Not worth it for just the week. Normally we have pretty good coverage where we go.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
Thanks for the replies. Solutions too pricey unfortunately. Not worth it for just the week. Normally we have pretty good coverage where we go.
Which cell phone carrier do you have?

We have AT&T. Overall coverage was OK, but we were in some CGs where we saw folks talking on their cell phones when we had no service. We didn't know which service they were on.

As a backup plan, we are considering adding a pre-paid phone that uses the Verizon network for next year's long trip.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

We have AT&T. Overall coverage was OK, but we were in some CGs where we saw folks talking on their cell phones when we had no service. We didn't know which service they were on.

As a backup plan, we are considering adding a pre-paid phone that uses the Verizon network for next year's long trip.
We have Verizon.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse View Post
We have Verizon.
You have the best cell service (signal coverage area wise) out there. We have Verizon and the kids used AT&T (retired from AT&T after 25 years of service) and out west we had a signal and they were using our phones.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You have the best cell service (signal coverage area wise) out there. We have Verizon and the kids used AT&T (retired from AT&T after 25 years of service) and out west we had a signal and they were using our phones.

Don
Yeah, I was at the brink of changing carriers when I wanted to upgrade my phone to bring down the monthly bill. But after investigating more different carrier coverage areas I decided to stay put with Verizon. We will be in the desert next week and even Verizon doesn't cover the campground.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #9

Our campsite is in on the side of a mountain miles from the nearest town. At night if you look up you can see more stars than you ever imagined even existed. A cell tower is directly on the other side of the mountain, but you either have to climb up to the top, or drive around the corner. We have no cell signal.

The wife and kids don't have their eyes glued to the iphojne all day long. Their thumbs are used for useful purposes, not texting. We talk. We watch the wildlife. We swim in the pond. We all have..........drumroll...........fun.

Please don't tell the family that they can get a signal booster. Please don't tell my boss either. I'm on call 24/7/365 and he thinks that when I'm on vacation camping I can't be reached.

There is no better feeling than having no cellphone coverage.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Our campsite is in on the side of a mountain miles from the nearest town. At night if you look up you can see more stars than you ever imagined even existed. A cell tower is directly on the other side of the mountain, but you either have to climb up to the top, or drive around the corner. We have no cell signal.

The wife and kids don't have their eyes glued to the iphojne all day long. Their thumbs are used for useful purposes, not texting. We talk. We watch the wildlife. We swim in the pond. We all have..........drumroll...........fun.

Please don't tell the family that they can get a signal booster. Please don't tell my boss either. I'm on call 24/7/365 and he thinks that when I'm on vacation camping I can't be reached.

There is no better feeling than having no cellphone coverage.
Reminds of the Chevy commercial ,guys looking for a campsite
& finally found a place with NO signal & all was well.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post

We have Verizon, and usually find pretty good service; and as a backup (which we need now and again) we carry an AT&T pre-paid phone.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote