Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #21

Check your documentation and follow the instructions. It's very simple. Had them on my old '03 hybrid trailer. Every couple of years I'd simply pump some grease in them and if it the stuff coming out looked clean, I stopped. 10 years and I never had any trouble with them. I'm following the same procedure on my X20E.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:03 PM   #22

Dexter video on EZ lube.
https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8

Longer video.
https://youtu.be/mh0vxu2_4Ac
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy57 View Post
Dexter video on EZ lube.
https://youtu.be/XT0RKDGgDm8

Longer video.
https://youtu.be/mh0vxu2_4Ac
The Dexter video claims you can do a complete repack using the EZ Lube so is this what the techs do for a charge of $150 per axle?
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #24

On our old hybrid, I serviced the bearings every two years. Even with the EZ-lubes it's still a good idea to take the whole thing apart just to see what's going on. In between the servicings, I would give the hubs a couple of squirts of fresh grease just before long trips. The short trips, I left them alone. After 10 years, still the original bearings and not one drop of grease on the brakes.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Just looking for input as I'm new to owning a TT, since last fall. Planning a couple of long trips and probably being to cautious or as age would have it paranoid or maybe just smarter. LOL
Previously I had a1999 Coleman popup. Wasn't until 2011 that I had the bearings repacked. Only cause I was planning a long trip and long overdue. HA Ha, just a little! First 6 years we went all over the country with no issues then hung around home area (300 miles or so. Still no issues. 12 years of use first repack only thing my mechanic found was that the grease was a little dirty!
I was thinking just pump in grease get old out and let it ride!
If it works why fix it and maybe have it go wacko any way!
JMO
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 AM   #26

Did the EZ lube last weekend. Grease that came out was like black soup. Replaced with Lucas 2 "red and tacky". Glad I did. Thanks for all the comments.
Tommyboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #27

Mixing Grease

Just a quick comment; if it's the first time it's been done and you're not sure what was in there originally, I'd likely recommend getting some miles on them and then possibly doing it one more time. The only reason for this is that you don't want to mix grease types since that can speed up the breakdown process. Red n Tacky #2 (which is what I use) is a lithium grease, where you may have had an aluminum compound grease. Mixing them can cause the oils to separate, and the oil will drip out the cap (and you'll lose the properties of the grease you want). Best way to be sure is to drive them, get them to temp and mix them real good. Even when being careful to rotate the wheels a lot when putting in the new grease, it's easy insurance - doing it one more time early and sacrificing a couple tubes of grease is pretty cheap. I don't consider using the EZ lube one extra time to be sure of what I have in there to be that much work/cost at all, and it's what I do on new axles the first time I swap grease of an unknown type.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy57 View Post
Did the EZ lube last weekend. Grease that came out was like black soup. Replaced with Lucas 2 "red and tacky". Glad I did. Thanks for all the comments.
seanmcpherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #28

Our trailer came over lubed from the factory and the brakes were full of grease. Jayco did pick up the tab about 4 months later. $1100. We bought our Montana trailer used and the seals had leaked into the brake area but hadn't reached the brakes yet. I am a firm believer of take them apart and do it by hand. I have them repacked every 5 or 6 years. How often do you have the rear wheel bearings packed on your front wheel drive car?
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #29

The bearing buddy system has given the easylube a bad reputation.. as long as you are not using an air grease gun and don't go crazy it is a fine system... BUT you still need to check the brake pads yearly..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #30

I bought my trailer used. It was in like new condition. The previous owner said he gave each wheel some grease every spring. I figured I better take a look. I ended up replacing the brakes on all 4 wheels. All the grease went out through the seals none made it to the outer brgs. If your brake shoes become contaminated with grease you cannot clean them, they must be replaced. It cost me way more to replace my brakes than a brg repack would have. I'm not a fan of the EZ lube axles because of this. There is no substitute for PROPER maintenance.
PhyerPhyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 AM   #31

Most of the problems I've seen w/ EZ Lube is people using them incorrectly. "I'll put a squirt of grease in every year just in case" is not what they're designed for. Same goes for when grease is applied using high pressure applicators (ie, grease guns with the yard long handles or electric or compressor-powered guns). Those types will blow the seal, which EZLube's docs warn you about. I've always used a short-arm hand held grease gun and I've never had a seal leak on any EZ Lube trailer axle I've worked on. I don't disagree when people want to tear down the entire wheel to inspect every component, but I do disagree when the basis for doing so is a normal grease repack when the grease coming out is in good shape, the hub's never shown signs of heating, there's no leak, etc. I think a lot of folks fail to check the rubber dust caps or replace them if they crack or get bent; considering the caps are a buck in a lot of cases, it's worth keeping a couple in the glove box and swapping them if there's any doubt about their integrity. Good grease that's washout resistant and designed for high-temp use which is replaced with the same formulation each time will give the best results. Swapping grease types, not keeping the seals or covers in good condition, or never replacing the entirety of the grease is, IMO, what causes most EZ Lube issues. IANAL, YMMV, etc
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #32

I have yet t redo the grease in my HTT yet. Been on the to do list for way to long. Hopefully this spring/early summer. How much grease would you estimate each hub will require?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #33

A couple of tubes will do you per axle with a complete replacement (and you'll still have grease from the 2nd tube in the gun). I like to drive it a bit to warm everything up but it's not hard either way. Once you're ready, jack up the wheel so it can be turned freely, pop the dust cover, hook up to the zerk, pump til enough grease has been displaced you need to scrape it off with a paint stir stick (or your fingers, TBH) and dispose of it, repeating, then turn the wheel a few times, and repeat the process of pump til you scrape, turn the wheel, pump etc until the grease coming out is the same color as it's going in. If you don't know what was in there, plan to repeat the process a few weeks later to prevent any contaminated grease from causing breakdown (which will cause it to separate and go liquid and THAT is when it easily gets on the brakes) . So, for a single axle unit and needing to swap it twice over, you'll prolly use 3 tubes and will know you're both good to go in terms of all new grease and you'll know it was 100% turned over inside the cavity with no contamination. I'm a fan of the red lithium grease like the lucas red & tacky but Dexter has lists of what they approve. I paid 4 bucks a tube at Rural King last time I picked it up so for under $15 to do an axle and replace the dust caps it's an easy thing.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #34

Grease Gun Suggestions?

I'm about to undertake this procedure, thanks to all for the suggestions and guidance. I don't own my own grease gun. Can anyone make a recommendation on what I beg/borrow/steal?

2010 Jayco 1206
Hookinfish is offline   Reply With Quote