Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2014, 11:40 PM   #1

Arrow Factory attitude towards parts? "It had to be on the build sheet for your VIN"

Has anyone run into this?

We wanted to order a part that is standard on the 2014 model of our trailer but a little different on our 2013. Our dealer checked with the factory and learned that only parts originally fitted to our particular trailer could be purchased, nothing else!

The part in question is pretty simple. In 2013, the vertical lambrequins on the windows around the dinette table are like narrow fabric curtains. One the 2014, they are rigid assemblies of plywood or Masonite covered with the appropriate material. My wife likes the rigid versions better and we wanted to order the pieces from the 2014 trailer.
That is apparently not possible, and so we have to order 3 sets of the lambrequins from the window behind the couch on our 2013 trailer, which are the rigid variety. That window is a different size than the ones in the slide however, so if I order them, I have to dismantle all three lambrequins without damaging them and reassemble all the pieces to fit.

Doing the work does not bother me, but the attitude of the factory is beyond me. Anyone know what is up with that?
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 AM   #2

Solution: Make them yourself and cover them with a fabric that complements the interior of your trailer. Problem solved for less money and zero hassle dealing with incompetent people.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

Your obviously the exception - not the rule. You want to change or customize your travel trailer.....that doesn't compute in to buying "factory replacement parts".

In my business I deal with similar policies from manufacturers who assemble an end product from parts that come from various suppliers. The policy is more common than you think.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Team

It is strange since owners with units that are several years old needing parts may only have access to what`s being currently manufactured, since the older ones may be discontinued. In that case they can only offer you current model colors and styles, the reverse of what they are offering you. Seems a bit inflexible on their part.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #5

I ran into the same thing in that I wanted to buy a item from a unit different from the one I ordered. The dealer couldn't even get a price without a vin number. He did not have that unit in stock so he had no vin to give them so no price. He told me he used to be able to pick up parts while at the factory to get a unit but now he has to order them and pay shipping to get anything. Yes there is more to things that show on the surface but imagine if the whole system was set up this way that you had to have a vin to buy anything. Not very customer friendly. Great for the aftermarket people.
351rlts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your comments.
It sounds like this is the standard practice for Jayco/Starcraft at the moment. Not a bad practice, just one that will take some getting used to. My orientation is more along the lines of "parts is parts". If you have the part #, and a source, you can order the part. The producer/supplier knows how to make or order that PN, money changes hands, time passes, people do their jobs and the part is delivered. I work in manufacturing and building and ordering parts is very familar to me.
What I am now curious about is WHY. Is this a policy decision? Is it based on system (ERP) requirements or configuration? Is it in responce to a perceived "hassle factor" in dealing with part requests? Is it a Legal requirement related to liability? Might be a good question over a beer at a National with someone from the company...
Bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
Is it in responce to a perceived "hassle factor" in dealing with part requests?
I think that is what it is. Jayco is in the business of selling a finished product and ships replacement parts as a "service" to purchasers on their existing units. Going beyond that is a hassle for them. You'd probably have to be "in their shoes" to grasp the problem that seems so unordinary to us.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

I also think Jayco is being loyal to its dealers in that they want the dealer and not the end user ordering parts and making repairs. After all, there has to be some incentive for a dealer to carry a product line.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Ford encourages this as well. When I went to buy something my truck did not with the parts people said they look up things by Vin number
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #10

I came across a similar issue. The 2014 models of some Eagle trailers have nice lights over the bed near the back wall...not those awful plastic globes that shine down in your eyes as you try to read. Asked my dealer to order me a set. Same response.....need your vin number.... can't order them for you. Okay. Give Jayco the vin number off the 2014 Eagle and order a set.....no problem. So, try getting a vin number from a trailer that has the style of product you want and ask your dealer to order them.....worked for me....should work for you. In fact, my 2012 Eagle has those floppy curtains and I 'd like to change them out as you want to do.....I'll look into it from my location.

On Permanent site at Gillies Lake, Bruce Peninsula
LilBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #11

Soo.. I have been following this thread.. From an RV Parts Guy...

NONE of the manufacturers will talk to you for parts without a VIN, even if you are a parts person. Jayco is the most lenient of them, and easiest to work with IMO. The reason is not to keep your camper "OEM", but its to narrow down the part number for the EXACT item that was on the camper. The database has millions of parts. To get to one light fixture, off of a camper, that was built in a certain year, without a VIN is almost impossible.

To solve this, if you do see something on a camper that you like and want to incorporate it, you need the last 8 of the VIN for a parts search. Like LilBigfoot stated, its not impossible, Talk to Jayco, or a Jayco parts rep, and just explain what you are doing. I don't think you will get a hassle from anyone. If you do get a run around, shoot me a PM.. I will get the part number for you.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
This is a Jayco "thing" - no different then their utter blinded insistence that every issue including a burnt light bulb needs to be reviewed by an authorized dealer. As a previous owner of a Forest River and Crossroads I can assure you those two will sell you any part you're willing to buy.....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #13

x2 mwebber78
Old 02-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
This is a Jayco "thing" - no different then their utter blinded insistence that every issue including a burnt light bulb needs to be reviewed by an authorized dealer. As a previous owner of a Forest River and Crossroads I can assure you those two will sell you any part you're willing to buy.....
I had a window blind cord break two months after we purchased our 5er. I called Jayco, gave them my VIN, and they shipped a complete blind to my home. No dealer, no hassle

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I had a window blind cord break two months after we purchased our 5er. I called Jayco, gave them my VIN, and they shipped a complete blind to my home. No dealer, no hassle
The post is referring to the purchase of parts not originally standard or optioned on that unit. I'd hope they would send sone cord for a mini blind.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
The post is referring to the purchase of parts not originally standard or optioned on that unit. I'd hope they would send sone cord for a mini blind.
I understand your point. However, just to set the record straight, they didn't just send a cord, they sent the entire blind (and of course the cord came with it). I was also responding to the "burnt light bulb needs to be reviewed by an authorized dealer" part. I should have been more clear.

2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
Old 02-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #17

I've never had any trouble buying parts for my Jaycos that we're specifically for my trailer(s). A good dealer will help you figure it out. If your dealer says Jayco won't let him, he's blowing smoke. An alternative is to find out if Jayco is sourcing the part from a 3rd party. If so, find out who makes it and contact a dealer that that only handles parts. I had to do this to get a different set of dinette legs that Jayco no longer carried.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #18

Goto a dealer lot and pull the VIN off a trailer that has the parts you are looking for and use that at the parts counter.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote