Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Factory black tank flush

Do you just hook a hose up to it and then open the valve? I do not see any info in my owners manual about it. How long should it run for?

Thanks!
mjwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #2

Dump the tank at the dump station and leave the dump valve open. Connect a water hose -- not your fresh water hose --- to the tank flush inlet and turn on the water. Let the flusher run until you think your tank is washed out enough, maybe five minutes or so. Some people use a clear elbow at the end of the sewer hose so they can see when "stuff" quits being flushed out and you know when to quit the flushing process. Don't ever flush with the flush valve closed, unless you're ready to accept the consequences of an overflowing toilet.

Some people use the flusher very often, my schedule is to use it only when convenient and the use of it won't stack up traffic at the dump station - usually when we are at a site with sewer hookup.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 AM   #3

I occasionally use my flusher with the valve closed, but I set a timer so as not to forget what I am doing. To forget and leave it run too long would not be good.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

We use the flusher every time we have a sewer connection. Just one way to help clean out the tank. One note if you've never used the flusher before - there is a vacuum breaker (a type of check valve) somewhere in the system between the hose connection and the spray nozzle in the tank. Ours is under the bathroom sink. This valve will prevent backflow from the tank when you disconnect the hose. HOWEVER, pressure will still be in the line between the hose connection and vac breaker, and you will get a small shower of fresh water when you disconnect. This is normal, but may surprise you the first time.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Not all trailers have a built in flusher.

You are correct. Hook up your hose, place the one end in the receptacle, and pull the lever. Usually after the majority of the flow is done (you can tell by the sound and how the hose stops wiggling) I pull the end out of the receptacle to look at the flow. Once I am happy that most of the flow is done. Then I place the hose back into the receptacle, close the black water valve, then repeat the process with the grey water valve. ALWAYS finish with the grey water. This will flush any the nastiness out of the pipes and the hose. When done, disconnect the hose; place the sanitation cap on the trailer’s sewer outlet. Rinse the sewer hose, and stow. Add about 2-5 gallons of water to your black tank (via the toilet), some people will add sewer chemical, I add a few ounces of PinSol, some add liquid fabric softener or liquid laundry detergent. The idea is to clean the tank as you travel down the road and keep the sensors operational
You’re now all done.
One tip, buy a box of disposable examination gloves for this job.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #6

We had black tank flush on our 2012 Shasta Revere but could not tell if it was functioning properly, could not hear anything while using it. With the Jayco, I was surprised. I could hear it spray the tank when in use.
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

We like to use ours as often as we can , I will close the black tank valve for a minute , then open it up , then close it gain . I t depends how much time we have .
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #8

NEVER, EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE, connect this and turn on water while your DW is sitting on the throne. If you do, run. She will NOT be happy.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
NEVER, EVER, NOT EVEN ONCE, connect this and turn on water while your DW is sitting on the throne. If you do, run. She will NOT be happy.
......to me, this sounds like a confession from someone whose been there.........
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #10

Speaking from experience? Pray tell
Lol
https://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

I installed a spray type (no moving parts) tank flusher. I also have a 45 degree clear coupling between the dump port and the sewer hose. The procedure I use is as follows:

1. Connect the water hose to the flusher and turn it on. You can definitely hear it working. Let it run while doing step 2.
2. Connect the sewer hose to the dump port and the dump station pipe.
3. Open the black dump valve. Let it run till clear.
4. Close the black dump valve for 1 minute. Open valve again. Let it run for 1 more minute.
5. Shut of the flusher water.
6. When the black tank is empty close the black valve.
7. Open the gray water valve.
8. When tank is empty close the valve.
9. Disconnect and rinse the sewer hose.
10. Cap the dump port.

This procedure does assume there is not a back up waiting for the dump station. In which case you do the best you can without being discourteous to the others waiting.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote