Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Favorite RV Camping & Destinations

Hi Everyone,
We are beginning to plan for 2015 camping. We're in Northeast Ohio and looking for more regional (6-8 hours away) trips, as well as "big trip" ideas. I was hoping you could share your favorite RV camping spots/destinations and why you like them.

So far, our favorite camping spot is close to home at Mosquito Lake: http://cuontheroad.net/mosquito-lake-buzzz/

And our favorite RV destination was to Niagara Falls last summer: http://cuontheroad.net/falling-for-niagara-falls-ny/

How about you? Thanks for any ideas...
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

So far this year I we are going to Tanglewood to listen to some music and the on to Bar Harbor Maine where we will camp for 10 days on the Ocean.

Maybe early fall we will go to Cape Cod for some cycling on the great rail trail there.

Can't wait.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

We love Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, PA. It is a COE lake and the has multiple campgrounds and cabins and hotels over the length of the lake (over 21 miles long I believe).

Lake Raystown Resort has spots right on the water, literally the back of our camper can be 20 or 30 feet from the water. Lots of open grassy areas between campers and dependable electric and water service. They have a marina for boats, as well as karaoke cruises on the weekend.

You can swim, fish, kayak or use outboard engines on the lake. They also have a waterpark at the resort with multiple pools, a splash park and 4 different tubing runs.

For friends that don't camp they have cabins in the middle of the park. They also have a hotel on site, up the lake a little bit. On holiday weekends they have a very nice fireworks show.

The best part...? NO CELL SERVICE. 9 days without the phone ringing, email buzzing or the internet. We bring a kayak and a hammock... I'm set for the week!

My other favorite park is Holiday Cove in Florida. We love that in February because its 75 and sunny down there and cold and gray at home.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
So far this year I we are going to Tanglewood to listen to some music and the on to Bar Harbor Maine where we will camp for 10 days on the Ocean.

Maybe early fall we will go to Cape Cod for some cycling on the great rail trail there.

Can't wait.
I've never been to Maine. It's supposed to have some great camping!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
We love Lake Raystown Resort in Entriken, PA. It is a COE lake and the has multiple campgrounds and cabins and hotels over the length of the lake (over 21 miles long I believe).

Lake Raystown Resort has spots right on the water, literally the back of our camper can be 20 or 30 feet from the water. Lots of open grassy areas between campers and dependable electric and water service. They have a marina for boats, as well as karaoke cruises on the weekend.

You can swim, fish, kayak or use outboard engines on the lake. They also have a waterpark at the resort with multiple pools, a splash park and 4 different tubing runs.

For friends that don't camp they have cabins in the middle of the park. They also have a hotel on site, up the lake a little bit. On holiday weekends they have a very nice fireworks show.

The best part...? NO CELL SERVICE. 9 days without the phone ringing, email buzzing or the internet. We bring a kayak and a hammock... I'm set for the week!

My other favorite park is Holiday Cove in Florida. We love that in February because its 75 and sunny down there and cold and gray at home.
Hi Spoon 059,
No cell signal, huh? That might make me a wee bit twitchy! But I think I could do it. Ha! What is a "COE" lake? I've heard of Holiday Cove in FL. What do you like about it?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Gettysburg is a nice trip with a fairly good drive. There is a nice State park in KY just past Cincinnati, but I don't recall the name.

Have you tried West Branch State Park yet ? It's our favorite local spot.
renman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
snip... What is a "COE" lake?...snip...
Looks like you didn't get an answer yet: COE = 'Corp of Engineers'; short for US Army Corp of Engineers. They've built lots of flood control dams etc. and there are many campgrounds on the shores of the lakes etc. they made.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Yup, Corps of Engineers. Man made lake.

I misspoke about Holiday Cove... I meant Buttonwood. They are both right outside of Anna Maria Island which is on the Gulf of Mexico right at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Holiday Cove is a RESORT that starts around $130 a NIGHT for a spot. We stayed there one year because it was the only place close with an opening. Now... it had a nice pool, have pavers for the parking pad, had a dock on a canal that led to Tampa Bay, etc etc... but my goodness... $130 a night???

We scouted out Buttonwood Inlet RV Park which is actually CLOSER to the water and less than half the price. I love it because its on the Gulf and we usually go in February. We have a 8 week old son, so we decided against a 15 hour drive this year. Next year we are going back though!!! It is about 8 degrees with a wind chill below zero right now where I live outside of DC. My parents are in Anna Maria (they rent a house for the month of February every year) and its 75 degrees today.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

One of our favorite State parks north in Michigan is Tawas point state park. the campground is surrounded by water on 3 sides. Tawas bay on one side of the campground and lake Huron on the other. Great little downtown area to visit as well
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
One of our favorite State parks north in Michigan is Tawas point state park. the campground is surrounded by water on 3 sides. Tawas bay on one side of the campground and lake Huron on the other. Great little downtown area to visit as well
We were going to go to Michigan last year, but ended up doing the Gettysburg/Ocean City trip instead. It's definitely on my list, though. Thank you so much for the tip! The campground sounds beautiful. Anything that's surrounded by water on three sides is my kind of place.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by renman View Post
Gettysburg is a nice trip with a fairly good drive. There is a nice State park in KY just past Cincinnati, but I don't recall the name.

Have you tried West Branch State Park yet ? It's our favorite local spot.
Well, that's an interesting story... We decided to visit West Branch for our very first outing in our RV a few years ago. I made the reservations, we packed up Bessie the Rv. I was feeling pretty proud of myself as a brand spankin new newbie. We rolled into West Branch to check in and we didn't have a reservation for that weekend. Yep, I scheduled it for the previous weekend by accident. West Branch was totally booked that weekend. Nooooo! Everyone was so mad at me! Haaa! So we turned tail and headed over to Mosquito Lake, who luckily had lots of open spots. As it turned out, it was a match made in heaven. We've never made it back to West Branch- but we will get there some day. When we aren't at Mosquito Lake, we're usually on the road exploring. In case you haven't seen it, here's my "ode" to Mosquito Lake: http://cuontheroad.net/mosquito-lake-buzzz/
Old 02-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Yup, Corps of Engineers. Man made lake.

I misspoke about Holiday Cove... I meant Buttonwood. They are both right outside of Anna Maria Island which is on the Gulf of Mexico right at the mouth of Tampa Bay.

Holiday Cove is a RESORT that starts around $130 a NIGHT for a spot. We stayed there one year because it was the only place close with an opening. Now... it had a nice pool, have pavers for the parking pad, had a dock on a canal that led to Tampa Bay, etc etc... but my goodness... $130 a night???

We scouted out Buttonwood Inlet RV Park which is actually CLOSER to the water and less than half the price. I love it because its on the Gulf and we usually go in February. We have a 8 week old son, so we decided against a 15 hour drive this year. Next year we are going back though!!! It is about 8 degrees with a wind chill below zero right now where I live outside of DC. My parents are in Anna Maria (they rent a house for the month of February every year) and its 75 degrees today.
Congratulations on the new little one! There's a place for those RV resorts, particularly if they have a nice pool and lots of amenities. I'm more of a state park kind of gal, but I sure do love a hot tub/pool and great activities for my kiddos.

It's my hope to have an extended stay along the gulf coast. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
snip... Anything that's surrounded by water on three sides is my kind of place.
Then also try Leelanau State Park on the other side of the 'mitten' at the tip of the Leelanau Peninsula, just north of Traverse City.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

The park south of Cincy you maybe revering to could be Big Bone State Park.
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote