Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #21

On the old trailer while hooking up, lowered it on the the ball, had to put it in to gear to clunk forward before the latch would close, attached the chains/tow cable, pulled the chocks, and started to drive off. Was wondering why it was taking more gas to pull than usual - figure I should go look. The jack wasn't all the way up and left a 2" trench from my parking spot to where I stopped to look! Thankfully it was a pretty new storage site at the time so the gravel wasn't too packed down! Jack was fine thankfully as well - didn't bend it somehow.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #22

LOL, just happened to me a few days after getting our 2014 264BH.. Put a tv mount in the bedroom area up in the corner, attached tv and was super proud of myself until the wife showed me where the screw bolt on the lower half of the tv mount was all the way through the wall into and sticking out about 4 inches on the other side above the couch.
Coach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #23

Lots of good stories to learn from. My latest "d'oh" moment was connecting the TV plug around the side resulting in a severely pinched cable from a hard left turn. Luckily nothing shorted out and everything still works. going to be replacing that cable for good measure.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
Site Team

Here are 311 posts of them in the bonehead thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f2...ment-1576.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #25

Backed into camping spot with electrical post 24" from the side of the 5er. Unhooked the TV and started to put out the 36" slide...Ruh, Roh! Had to hook up again and re-spot the RV a little further away from the post. From that mistake I now ALWAYS take a tape measure with me when spotting the RV and before unhooking. It's all a learning curve. Hopefully not a steep one.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #26

This was my solution to an accidental drill bit through the exterior wall of my trailer, DOH!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jayco gaff.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	29928

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #27

My biggest DOH! moment would have to be buying a Jay Flight 264BHW. After we bought it, the rest of the family decided they had to be with us every time we went to the lake (was only intended for 3 people). 8 people in this trailer is not a fun thing! Moving forward, we are going to sell it and get a bigger trailer with slides. Had too many issues I wound up fixing myself because warranty would have made me leave the trailer at the dealer for more time than we would have spent enjoying it. I just fixed it all myself out of my pocket. 2 year warranty is a joke when the dealer has it for almost the entire two year period.

Jayco thinks you can sleep 10 in this..... that's their joke I didn't get. It's really cramped with 8 bodies plus gear and no real storage, 10 bodies would be 10 clowns in a Volkswagen beetle...lol. Goes to show you get what you pay for.. Sorry for the rant but it is a costly mistake and is my own fault.

No more Jayco's for me!

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4.7 V8 trans cooler, elect fans, auto rear leveling system (bags) towing package. Rated to pull (according to dealer) 6700lbs.
Lakehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #28

Forgetting to disconnect the electric cord from the camper while uniting and ripping the cord out of the camper.

Older one - In Tennessee on a road with switchbacks, went around one that was a bit too tight and slipped and dented the bed on my old truck.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #29

Biggest DOH moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebravo View Post
Think of it as charity...you'll be helping us newbies avoid some possible mistakes or mishaps!
When ya put the camper away till next time, don't forget to put the steps up we didn't!Big landscape bolder removed them.DOH!
Attached Thumbnails
LP Cactus.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #30

Drove 120 miles from Lakewood (CA) to Bakersfield last October with the safety chains not hooked to the truck. They were clipped on the trailer as I usually do when unhooked.
Forrtunately, no harm- no foul. Made the mistake of being in a hurry and not double checking everything
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 PM   #31

Hooked a 3C 8GA wire to the 30 amp plug on my old trouble free Fleetwood Wilderness. Wired the other end of the 3C to a 220v breaker in the house. Turned on breaker. After it was all said and done, I replaced the fuse in the microwave, a fuse in the Coleman AC and the fuse in the inverter. Could have been a lot worse.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #32

At the campsite I backed up, got out to check everything clear, and then backed the rest of the way in..and punctured the back of the rig with a tree branch. I never looked up when I checking everything clear. What sucked most was I was fine and in a godd spot before I decided I needed to back up just a little bit more.
subpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #33

I'm only two years into this, so have had a number of moments myself. I'm a repeat offender of crushing plastic chocks. Most expensive DOH was leaving my surge protector on the post as a gift for the next camper. As to the chocks, you'd think I'd learn since I make my living flying. Hopped a chock there once too. Now, I do a final walk around after hookup, and a second final final walk around after the pull test. Clockwise around the entire setup.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehound View Post
My biggest DOH! moment would have to be buying a Jay Flight 264BHW. After we bought it, the rest of the family decided they had to be with us every time we went to the lake (was only intended for 3 people). 8 people in this trailer is not a fun thing! Moving forward, we are going to sell it and get a bigger trailer with slides. Had too many issues I wound up fixing myself because warranty would have made me leave the trailer at the dealer for more time than we would have spent enjoying it. I just fixed it all myself out of my pocket. 2 year warranty is a joke when the dealer has it for almost the entire two year period.

Jayco thinks you can sleep 10 in this..... that's their joke I didn't get. It's really cramped with 8 bodies plus gear and no real storage, 10 bodies would be 10 clowns in a Volkswagen beetle...lol. Goes to show you get what you pay for.. Sorry for the rant but it is a costly mistake and is my own fault.

No more Jayco's for me!
Once you see what the other brands offer, you may wish you had the Jayco back. Oh, and they take just as long for warranty repair.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #35

These are all great D'uh moments. My best one was driving down the highway and everyone who passed us on the right just a waving. We thought it was so nice of everyone to wish us well. Until we stopped at a Walmart about 60miles down the road. There was the bathroom door just a swinging in the wind. Luckily it didn't fly off. And I will not count the number of water regulators I've donated to the campgrounds. Oh yeah, the time we set up at the campground then decide to go eat. Got frantic call from the campground that water was pouring out of our outside kitchen. Guess who forgot to turn off the water at the sink. Oh well at least was outside the TT.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4
LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:12 PM   #36

Fortunately, nothing major . . . yet. My biggest D'Oh so far has been attempting to hook the truck up to the trailer and fighting to get the coupler drop onto the ball right. It was close but just would not latch up. I finally figured out that I still had all four scissor stabilizer jacks down and snugged tight. D'Oh.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #37

First time out with our new TT, was getting ready to hook up to the TV when a neighbor walked over and start asking questions about our TT. Hit the up button on the jack and all was going well until it started really bogging down, at about that moment i remembered that I had raised the two front stabilizers but hadn't yet raised the rear.......luckily I let off the button before I crushed the stabilizers.

The bad part was right before the guy came over to chit chat I told myself to be sure to raise the stabilizer jacks because my biggest fear was someday forgetting about them and destroying them with the tongue jack......
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #38

Mine happened Wednesday....

First time driving home in the dark. Got home with no incident. There's ONE little pear tree that I have to maneuver around to get backed into the driveway. Wife took the kids in and I decided to go ahead and back in without her. Was SURE i had clearance around that tree....I was wrong.

Backed the TT into the tree, broke a bunch of limbs off and broke the roof ladder about 10 feet up. Also pulled one of the connections between the ladder and the roof. Fortunately I heard the limbs crack and stopped before the camper was damaged.

But...I need a new ladder now. I don't think it damaged the actual roof when the ladder connection pulled up. But I'm not taking any chances. Will get it repaired as quick as I can.

Ego took a hit for sure. But not a lot of harm done. I will definitely be more sure as I back from now on. So there's a good lesson learned.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #39

Couple of them classify as my biggest Do'h....
A little prehistory; I am known for primarily boondocking and "getting far away and off grid, and/or getting into sticky places while hunting/camping." With that said, I tend to make modifications which "ruggedize" my rigs a bit more than the average. Our current WH is the first rig in which we have had to do the least work to other than a little bigger tire (LT tire), and a skid plate to protect the grey and black tank drain.

First big Do'h was with my old Tiltin Hiltin cabover. I had her set on a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne K20 LB with factory saddle tanks along with the main tank behind the seat. We we had gone into the mountains of Eastern Nevada for mule deer hunting. With a cabover camper, there were only little things I needed to do to ensure it withstood possible punishments of navigating into back country. I had replaced the forward jack stands with welded 1/4 in boiler plate steel brackets which utilized HiLift jacks to lift and lower the camper. I had put square tube welded steel along with the slide bumper brackets to protect the campers over hang beyond the back of the truck. Made the entire three week hunting trip, crawling the truck and camper up and into a heavily wooded area, threading the needle going in and out around trees and rocks without an issue. Successful hunt and literally two houses down the street from arriving home I came too close to the curb and also a very large tree branch with hung out over the sidewalk and managed to take out about two thirds of the cabover bunk from front to back (about 1/4 the width of the bunk from side to side). However, it turned out to be a great learning experience getting the new aluminum siding material, framing, windows, and panel board and rebuilding the front passenger corner of the cabover.

Second big Do'h was with my 5er. This time a bighorn sheep hunt. My 5er was fairly new to me at the time and I had not done any "ruggedizing" work to it. So our adventure started by getting it stuck in a wash gully on the way into where we were going to be hunting/camping. We were already 30 some miles from the nearest paved road. 5 1/2 hours of jacking the truck up and building a rock platform and then following suite jacking the trailer up till both were close enough to level to allow me to pull it out of the wash. Another successful hunt and on the way out when I came back to that same wash/gully, I decided to hit it with much more speed to ensure we would get up the other side. In so doing, I bottomed the 5er out, tearing huge holes in both the grey and black tanks, and ripping the stabilizer jacks completely off the frame. The punishment took its toll on the cheap trailer tires and as soon as I hit the highway within 2 miles I blew both the drivers side tires. Again a great lesson learned. I learned how to replace and replumb both holding tanks, welded new heavier duty stabilizer jacks on the frame, welded a skid plate to protect the grey and black tanks, changed the axles out to spring over with a small lift to get a more ground clearance and was able to put on heavier duty higher load range LT tires.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote