Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #21

I had pulled off I-45 on the way to Houston for diesel. Eye-balled the station and picked the end pump (the others would have been too tight). Before I could make the turn into the station a small car pulled in for gas. No problems, I'll just line up and move in when he's through. The guy driving looks up as he's getting ready to swipe his card and sees me waiting. Stops what he's doing and walks over and says, "easier for me to move than you". He hops in his car and moves over to the next lane leaving me free to pull in. Times like this really make me smile.
I've been no help here but just wanted to pass this on.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #22

Good for you; you'll never see that in NY! All my work trucks are diesel, and having to pay for guys sitting at a pump because a Honda is filling up gas in an empty gas station at the diesel pump is not a great feeling. Can't wait for retirement!!
NY RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #23

Good advice so far. In our travels we stuck with truck stops. You don't have to go where the trucks go unless you have a diesel. But trucks stops have ample room in the gas lanes for vehicles with trailers.

Do yourself a favor and get a Next Exit book. It's only for the Interstates, but it shows the RV friendly stations in red at the exits. Having one of these is an invaluable resource when traveling and a great supplement to a GPS.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #24

DW is absolutely petrified to stop for gas. I guess it's because we got into what she thought were "tight" situations a couple times while out with the TT. Both times were a non-issue, but because I had to back up a bit and needed her to spot for me, they were an "issue". Luckily, we haven't had a real "issue" to change her paradigm yet.

Anyway, all the good advice has been given; know your way out before you go in, be as courteous and patient as possible, know that others are not looking at you (so you have to watch for them), use the bigger stations as much as possible, don't let the tank run dry before trying to find a place to refuel, take it slow, pick an outside lane as much as possible, limit the amount of "maneuvering" you have to do as much as possible, watch out for that tail swing when pulling away. There's nothing to be afraid of, you know how to do this, it's really not that much different than pulling into a somewhat difficult space at a CG. No big deal! Take a deep breath, be careful and don't worry!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #25

You can also always just pull into a nice large area and unhook from your trailer and go fill up. I have pulled off a couple of times and not unhooked and having two 5-gal gas cans have dumped them into the truck tank then walk to the gas station and get the two can filled up again etc...

My in-laws like to travel and setup camp again way before dark somewhere 300-400 miles down the road.. Then after they setup camp they go fill up with gas again... They also carry two 5-gallon gas cans in the back of their truck.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #26

I carry 2, 5 gal cans of diesel in the truck bed. This gives me 36 gal total or 432 mile range. That's all I want to drive pull in a days time. I have not stopped at a pump while hooked up in years.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #27

Good to know there is no shame in unhitching. "Take it slow" is awesome advice and what camping is all about! I also like the idea of taking a 5 Gallon tank as well.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #28

If the interstate has service stations, I will always go there. I start looking at ½ tank. If nothing on the interstate, I look for the exit which has the most service stations listed, as it's more likely to have one which I like. Once I get to ¼ tank, I really start to buckle down. I have gotten off an exit, saw the station and went to the next exit.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #29

In addition to all the other excellent suggestions, I can highly recommend a smartphone app called "The Road Ahead". It uses the GPS in your phone to see where you are, then tells you what is at the upcoming exits, including gas prices. We have it on iPhone; I presume there also is an Android app. I think it costs $14.99, but it's worth every penny.

To echo others, gas up outside of cities, look for truck stops, and take your time, and you'll be fine. New have a 27' Class C, and I've never gotten into a situation I couldn't handle (and I'm no expert).
Wulfgar878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfgar878 View Post

gas up outside of cities,
Excellent point! City gas stations are not made for trailers and big RVs! I always gas up the truck the night before a trip so I don't have to worry about this issue.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #31

Goood suggestions

I did my first gas fill up yesterday. I am familiar with the Maverik stations in my area so I chose one of their stations on my trip home. Worked out OK. A quick right turn back on the road and to the on ramp.I thought a couple of small independent stations but chickened out. I am going to plan my gas stops as much as possible as I still have not learned to back the trailer and don't want to get stuck.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #32

What I do is use Google maps in satellite view to look for appropriately sized stations and also to get a heads up on approach and departure options.
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #33

Related to the mobile apps that folks are mentioning...the "Next Exit" app is free to download, but is $14.99/year for a subscription. However, there is another app called "Road Ahead" which is also very good and appears to be free (no subscription required). I've downloaded it and it works. I'm going to try using this one on my big trip. I also love the Google Maps in satellite view idea...I'll definitely use that too. Thanks
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #34

To be honest, I have never seen someone unhitch to fuel up. Its just not that hard to plan and execute an easy in / easy out fuel stop. When unhitching you need to remember to chock the wheels, take care to undo WD bars, and jack the tongue to get it off the ball. Backing back into position to rehitch and reversing the above steps. If you can manage entering and leaving a campsite there is no need to fear a fuel stop.

Just follow the suggestions made in this thread, take your time, select the right station, and did I mention TAKE YOUR TIME entering and leaving the station.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fill up, gasoline, tow vehicle