Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
Pre cool. Load and go. I do not run when on the road unless on the road for more than 4 hours.

2008 Ford F450
2015 Seismic 3912
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
I fill mine up every time never had a problem.

2013 F-350 SRW 6.7 Powerstroke
2015 Jayco HT 29.5BHDS
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
We have always turned ours on "auto" a day or two before leaving while having it plugged into home electric. I buy the groceries usually the day before we leave and unload directly into the TT frig/freezer including several bags of ice just purchased for the coolers that we use for sodas. We let the frig on propane while traveling which usually isn't more than an hour away and we've done this for years without problem.
gloryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
We pre-cool & pre-load too then use refrigerator spring adjustable white bars from Camco to keep things from moving around. They can be found at Camping World or Amazon for example.
I pre-cool the fridge on propane the day before. It will be cold when you are ready to load. The spring-loaded bars work fine, however, I found similar single bars at WalMart a LOT cheaper than the ones at Camping World. They are actually adjustable curtain rods made to be tensioned on the inside of a window opening. They are quite adjustable and work well in the fridge.

I run my fridge on propane when traveling, but turn it off briefly when refueling my truck - don't want the open flame at the gas pumps. If you keep the fridge set to "Auto," it will switch to electricity when you plug into shore power. Then it will switch back to propane when you unplug the shore power.

That said - you will get folks here who recommend you not travel with the fridge running. Others, like me, do. The Owners Manual says not to, but they have their legal department insisting on that - it's a liability issue. My dealer said it is perfectly fine and they advise owners to do it. But in the end, it is a personal decision that you must make.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
Our fridge runs from the day the trailer comes out of storage in the spring to the day it goes back into storage. During the summer when the trailer isn't used, it's plugged in at home and the fridge is on. We keep stuff like bottled water, beer, canned drinks, beer, maybe some wine, beer... Basically stuff that won't go bad if the fridge stopped working.

The day before a trip, that's when we load it with the other stuff we'll need, and as we're packing up to go, we throw the last few items into the fridge. We run on auto, so the fridge is on propane during the trip. Everything (especially the beer) is cold by the time we get to the campground.
Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #16
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
Turn it on 2 days before trip. Load all the items the day before the trip. Let it run on propane while traveling. Refrigerator was designed to be used that way.
Same here...
Charles in Cincinnati, OH.
2006 Honda Ridgeline
2011 Jayco x23B
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
charles_cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
We never had any issues. Typically turn on the frig the day before. I have found our frig cools to about 40 degrees in about 4 hours. I think the only glass we put in it is glass jars, which typically goes in the door. While traveling we make sure to pack things, so the are stable. When we get to our destination, open the frig for the first time ever really slowly, just in case something shifted.

Never had an issue, we probably have 10K miles on this htt. Parents have had tt's for 30+ years, and I do not recall them having any issue either.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #18
I know this is going to start another whole discussion. The day we picked our RV up at the dealer,(we spent one night in the dealer's RV site to check the camper out) the wife turned the fridge on, stocked it, and it has not been off yet. Always travel with it stocked and no problems to day.

Shorty & Kitty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #19
Site Team
There really is no right or wrong way to use it. What ever your preference is for the fridge, then do it.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
As others have said, we turn ours on the day before, plugged into shore power. Load some beer and water that nite then the rest of the stuff in the morning before we hit the road. Keep Rolling Rock glass beer bottles in the door with all things packed tightly so it doesn't shift around. Never had a problem and run on propane (automatic setting) while we tow. No tunnels here also.
Happy RVing,

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite
2009 F150 Supercab, 5.4L ,3.73, HD Tow Package, Equal-i-zer 1K,
Progressive EMS-LCHW30, TST 507RV TPMS, Hydro Life HL-200, Maxxis 8008.
Best friend wife and dog Cooper. RETIRED 6/30/16. WOOHOO! Now the "endless summer" begins.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote