Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #1

Finding an RV Park.

I had been keeping up with the thread "do you book RV Parks or wing it" and was curious;

Where/how do find RV Parks?

Most of our travels are either based on an event we are going to or it’s business related so it is more destination based rather than travel. Being fairly new to this we normally use the web to search;

1. Good Sam’s Club http://www.goodsamclub.com

2. RV Park Reviews http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

3. Camping Road Trip http://www.campingroadtrip.com/

These three seem to be the travel sites we use the most, I think I prefer Good Sam’s because the rating system is pretty accurate but RV Park has more info on smaller places. Camping Road Trip seems new but I think it will be a good one as it grows.

What do y'all use?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

We also use the RV Road Atlas from Trailer Life...easy to look for good routing with CG's noted.

Passport America we also subscribe too.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

I also use KOA.com and RV Park finder that is an app on the iphone
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #4

Try Allstays app from the App Store for $10, it has all the campgrounds, rv parks, walmarts where you can stay and where you cannot, dump stations, cabelas, camping worlds, etc. It is geographically based so it can show you things near where you are, or you can specify an area for trip planning purposes. You can filter results by what you want. It links to a facility's website, to reviews, to pictures of any site or campground, etc.

A great app. Here's a link to a youtube video:

http://youtu.be/nZe6FwXZMls
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Try Allstays app from the App Store for $10, it has all the campgrounds, rv parks, walmarts where you can stay and where you cannot, dump stations, cabelas, camping worlds, etc. It is geographically based so it can show you things near where you are, or you can specify an area for trip planning purposes. You can filter results by what you want. It links to a facility's website, to reviews, to pictures of any site or campground, etc.

A great app. Here's a link to a youtube video:

http://youtu.be/nZe6FwXZMls
X2 - planning a trip to MN this summer and used primarily Allstays and KOA to find places to stay
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

X3 on Allstays. It does not work on a PC. My DW has it on her smartphone, as we do not have a tablet. If we had a tablet I think it would excellent for trip planning, but as we travel without plans it will tell us where RV parks are, fuel stops, sights to see, and so forth. I primarily use Google maps while working on our routing/planning. You can email yourself your map you are working on so you can come back and work on it some more later. I see Google maps have changed and I have not used it lately, but there was a feature to show you what was is in the area of some destination point. So I would look at map, and add a destination that was say 300 miles from the previous location. Then click on a button (I do not see it on the new Google maps, but I bet it is there somewhere) to find out what was in the area, and do a search for CGs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

We use our Tom Tom. It gives the phone number and how to get there.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

We use campscout.com., but we like state parks so we use the state websites. They are usually very good.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

I agree with Allstays, this is a great application and will only get better as people add more campgrounds to it. I have it on my Ipad as well as my phone. It is well worth the 10 bucks you pay for it.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #10

After picking our destination, I first check for a SP nearby. If none are available, then I look for a private CG.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
X3 on Allstays. It does not work on a PC....(snip)
Just curious what you mean by this? I actually use Allstays.com with some frequency and it has always seemed to work ok. Yes, it is not quite like the app but apparently they offer a paid version for PC that is supposed to remove the ads and add more features that the free (regular webpage) version doesn't offer.

Again, just curious, and like you, I use Google Maps a lot as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercominhome View Post
Just curious what you mean by this? I actually use Allstays.com with some frequency and it has always seemed to work ok. Yes, it is not quite like the app but apparently they offer a paid version for PC that is supposed to remove the ads and add more features that the free (regular webpage) version doesn't offer.

Again, just curious, and like you, I use Google Maps a lot as well.
They must have changed, since I looked at their webpage more than a year ago, which is good! I only remember seeing demos of their Apps when we downloaded it to my DW’s phone.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
Site Team

For state parks in MI I just use their website https://www.midnrreservations.com/. For non-state campgrounds I use this site: www.michcampgrounds.com/arvcmichigan/

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

We are long time Good Sam members as well as Passport America and Coast to Coast- We do not normally make reservations but do call ahead to whichever campground we prefer for an overnite or short time stay- Rarely have we been refused or disappointed in the campground selected- JMHO- DD
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #15

I have the Passport America, Good Sam Camping, RV Parks and Allstays apps on the iPhone and iPad and find the Allstays the most user friendly. PA and GS were free I think and I don't recall if RV Parks was free or not. As pointed out by several posters, Allstays is $10 and I think it was well worth the price. It's pretty much my go-to resource for CG's.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #16

I first google an area then proceed to go through the reviews on different web pages. Trip advisor has some listed too. I then make a final determination from all the reviews. Good Sam, Woodall's, RV Park reviews, KOA, Jellystone and then reserve america for State Parks. Word of mouth is also good when you are camping and sharing places you have been among neighbors. I have found some gems that way!

I have yet to use the Allstays App so cannot comment on that, but it has been added to my phone.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #17

Just downloaded the Allstays App on my phone- it's awesome, thanks for that tip!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #18

Just downloaded Allstays to my Ipad tonight.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote