Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
'all my firearms were lost in an unfortunate boating accident ' I hear ya..
All the ones I have that are on record have also been lost. But if I was the persuasion to never leave home with out one on my person I would put a false back in a cabinet, maybe one of the ones that are already there for wire runs, as a hiding place for a laptop or other things. Might take some imagination for a riffle though. If I had any valuable like a gun left I would tend to stay in states that recognize my states carry permit. You need to obey their rules so you will need brush up on their laws. If traveling through States that don't recognize my States permit I look at what I need to do to transport my weapon if I had one. Most thieves want to be in and out and chances are they are not going to look very much beyond throwing everything in the cabinets on the floor. Unless you bolt a safe down to the frame that is one of the obvious things to take to open later.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #22

For those travelling across state lines, there are some apps available for your mobile device to check on reciprocity:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ryan.ccw&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ccw-...443321291?mt=8
The Best App for Concealed Carry Reciprocity Maps | USA Firearm Training
I have no affiliation with any of these, just pointing out some options. Also, if you want to guarantee 100% accuracy, you should visit the particular state's website.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:41 PM   #23

Personally if a weapon is not available immediately, then it's not available. Locking it in anything means you need a warning to get to it, unlock and then ready it for use...by then, your either a victim or, over cautious and didn't' really need it anyway.

I don't have kids....so that's not an issue for me any longer. I do keep a shotgun close and ready in my home, but, as others have said, a long weapon really doesn't work well in an RV..

Now... anyone else really want a Henry? I mean, I grew up on the rifleman (maybe not grew up but grew older at least) and I just think they are so cool....not that I need another weapon but...didn't "need" an RV either..

Does anyone put stickers NRA etc on their RV ? Just as a subliminal "suggestion" ?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #24

Don't see the need for a long gun in the RV unless hunting might be in the plans. For SD I generally have 2 handguns, prefer revolvers as I think they are safer for the wife to grab. Would prefer not to discuss secret spots but some ideas have already been mentioned. A safe is generally worthless unless frame bolted. One idea I will share is something I do at home too. I leave a cheap unloaded pistol in a relatively obvious spot that a bad guy might be quickly attracted to. Most break ins are smash and grab and once they find a gun they are happy and anxious to get out of dodge. I have a Davis derringer that I think I paid $50 and is cute but worthless. Do believe it would be enough to motivate the bad guy to quickly leave with his prize. The rest of the stuff squirreled away where anything but an FBI search would likely not turn it up. A ready gun is, well, close at hand when we are on board.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #25

I always have one on my person unless I'm in bed or showering. And I often bring several when we camp. In addition to my pistols, I bring my AR and hanging steel targets for practice/fun. I've also taken shotguns and clay target throwers.
We are a very gun oriented family. My oldest son is at college on a shotgun sports scholarship. My 11 year old shoots trap, skeet and sporting clays competitively in 4H. We belong to a range and shoot weekly.
As far as mods, I built support/dividers under the master bed. Long guns go under there. Handguns are next to my bed.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #26

If you have the table and chairs .You lift the table top you will have storage and if you lift the chairs cushion from the back you should find storage there.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #27

To everyone that has replied thus far - thank you. You've all given me some great ideas. I'm glad we've stayed mostly away from the legality issues. If you are a responsible 2a kind of guy, or girl, you know about all of that already. Be responsible, know what you can and cannot do (legally) wherever you happen to be. Like a thread I posted the other day about taxes/registration on my camper... depending on where you live, you are either happy with the situation, or looking to move. There's a hefty dose of 'ymmv' your mileage may vary.. Just wanted to say thanks.

I live where things have improved on some fronts, and gone way backwards in others... I'm not really a gun nut, although I was licensed, had my FFL, at one point a dealer, I dab in gunsmithing, and numerous other hobbies I won't bore you with (at least not now ).

I should have known that a cool group of people like we have here would share some basic common values, and I'm really happy that this has been confirmed. If I knew you guys better I'd start talking politics, but I'm smart enough to know we really don't need to go there. Happy I found this little nook in cyberspace, and thanks for bearing with me as I continue to ask stupid questions and suck out your knowledge so I can some day contribute, more than I take from everyone here.

Peace out,
Mark
Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #28

Here is my feelings:
About 1 in 4 Americans carry weapons, so that means if I am in an RV camp I am not too far away from someone packing heat because I suspect that number is a bit higher among Rvers. If I need help, it is not too far away.

I have also read if you are just trying to scare someone away, a bat or yelling pretty much does the trick, since most people trying to steal things do not want a lot of attention drawn towards them.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
Here is my feelings:
About 1 in 4 Americans carry weapons, so that means if I am in an RV camp I am not too far away from someone packing heat because I suspect that number is a bit higher among Rvers. If I need help, it is not too far away.

I have also read if you are just trying to scare someone away, a bat or yelling pretty much does the trick, since most people trying to steal things do not want a lot of attention drawn towards them.
90% of the time, that approach will work flawlessly.

The 10% of the time it doesn't, I think you are correct - someone will help out. We're all in this crazy world together. I think in general, anyone that is willing and able to tow a 7000+ pound house into the unknown can take care of themselves, knows how to make friends, and knows how to defend their little homestead. I've seen more than a few people armed with nothing more than a butter knife and foul language and it was enough to scare me off... just wanted to say hi.. and borrow a cup of sugar.

I view my glock much the same as I view my fire extinguisher. Test it from time to time, hope you don't need it, but it's there to put out your own fires, and those of your friends should the need arise. Fighting fires is dangerous business.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #30

We are staying on a Apache reservation RV Park and from what I have been told you better not get caught with a gun unless you have a conceled permit. The gun will be taken away and you will asked to leave now.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
We are staying on a Apache reservation RV Park and from what I have been told you better not get caught with a gun unless you have a conceled permit. The gun will be taken away and you will asked to leave now.
You don't have a permit?

Ernie....

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post

All this really means is don't get all liquored up and brandish your weapon on the reservation. Cool. Getting 'caught' with a weapon beats being buried without one. I'm not 100% clear on the reservation statutes.. the reservation isn't 100% clear on what I may, or may not have. I'm ok with that arrangement.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
As stated in other threads, in 2011 the Eagle fifth wheels had a lock box installed in the under bed storage.

I have never used mine.
Suuuuure you've never used it. Fess up, what's in the box Norty??
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 09-01-2016, 06:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
All this really means is don't get all liquored up and brandish your weapon on the reservation. Cool. Getting 'caught' with a weapon beats being buried without one. I'm not 100% clear on the reservation statutes.. the reservation isn't 100% clear on what I may, or may not have. I'm ok with that arrangement.
Prior to retiring from law enforcement I attended a "training conference" that was sponsored by a state of NY police organization. It was held at a resort / convention center that was on a native american reservation. On the day of the event, approximately 2500 participants showed up and we were told we "Could not bring weapons onto reservation property" The irony was hysterical. A "Police Organization" sponsored a sanctioned event on reservation property and never checked their weapons policy!.

I agree 100% with your statement Bansai, I rarely comment on these types of posts because it usually goes south very quickly.

I ALWAYS carry a weapon with me regardless of where I am and NOBODY ever knows its there and that's exactly how I like it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #35
Site Team

That's why these type threads don't last long.

It's a subject that is not a good conversation starter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
That's why these type threads don't last long.

It's a subject that is not a good conversation starter.
It's almost run the full course. Once we stop giving suggestions on storage and move to why we have them it's time to lock.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #37

I often carry more than one firearm in the RV, because we hunt and target shoot, plus it is good to have a protection weapon of some sort while on open highways. For the handgun, the previous owner installed a combination safe. I dont have a lockup for the long guns yet, but am considering choices as well. ONe option is one of the closet wall hanging locking rigs for pump shotguns. I often carry various types of shotguns, and that is not a practical solution for multiples, so I may consider creating locking mechanisms on certain interior storage areas for several dis-similar shotguns or rifles. Until then, I am vigilant about locking the RV if we leave.
Closed Thread