Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

First campout in new 2016 Whitehawk 27DSRL

We purchased our new 2016 Whitehawk 27DSRL last November at an RV Show and its been parked in my driveway all winter. At last, I got it de-winterized and made its maiden voyage this last weekend. I had no problems towing and getting it set up in a near by State Park about 30 miles from my house. Over all a very successful camp out and shakedown cruise, though there were a few issues, some of which will need to fixed under my warranty.

First, the small stuff. The bathroom sink cold water hose leaked from the connection under the sink. I discovered that when I stepped in a puddle in the front bedroom in my socks. That was easily tightened up and the leak stopped. (I've read multiple threads here that this is a common issue.) The caulking at the bottom of one of the glass panels in the shower failed and some water (not much but enough to need a wipe up) came out the bottom. I will need to re-caulk. (Again, I've read multiple threads that this a common problem.)

The major warranty issue is my HW tank. I got the water system charged with water, the HW tank filled and all air bled out of the lines. I turned on both the electric and propane switches for the HW heater per my owner's manual instructions for "faster hot water recovery." I heard the burner kick on from inside. About 10 minutes later I went outside the trailer and smelled burning smell which I initially thought was a neighboring campfire. However, I happened to glance at the outside HW heater access panel and the side of my trailer above the panel vent was black with soot. I immediately opened the panel and the burner flame was bright yellow and I could see the flames licking all the way up inside the burner to the top of the HW heater vent. I immediately went back inside and shut off the propane switch to the HW heater and left on in electric only. I wiped off all the soot from the side of my trailer. The HW heater worked just fine on electric and we had hot water all night (my wife doesn't like that it is "so" hot). The next day after we showered and used up most of the hot water so the tank need to reheat, I decided to try and trouble shoot. I turned the propane switch back on and the igniter would try to reignite the burner 3 times before it locked out. I tried to get it to light using propane several times with the same result. I never could get the HW heater to relight on propane. The electric side worked just fine, so we always had hot water. But, the flames were kind of scary and will definitely need to be corrected by my dealer!

We are going to camp one more time in May to see if anything else fails or breaks or comes undone before we take the TT into the dealer for the warranty work. I was most disappointed about the HW heater which was a safety issue in my mind, but other than that and some little things easily fixed/corrected, it was a successful trip!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #2

WOW! Above all, I'm glad you're OK and caught the water heater/propane problem!

DW might say I'm a bit on the 'fire phobic' side of things, but I view it as safety conscious. Overnight and leaving the trailer for the day, I've always had the water heater propane 'off' as an economic thing. Now it will be 'off' as a safety thing.

In my book, your other issues fall into the 'meh' category as compared to water heater!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

I guess you have looked at the stove top burner flames... They should also burn with blue flame...Since both come from the same tank that might give you a clue where it is picking up air....

We always turn on the stove top burners just after we open any valves coming from the propane tanks... This burns off the air captured in the lines...

Our stove Top is the farthest thing away from the tanks...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

As soon as I opened the propane tank valves, I went inside and lit 2 of the 3 stove top burners and they were nice blue flames. I let them burn for a bit to ensure that propane was in my lines before I turned on the HW tank switches. (I got used to having to do that in my old popup. It had the pilot light plunger that you had to hold down FOREVER before the pilot light would stay lit.)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Team

If it's been sitting, a spider or bug of some type may have built a nest or web inside the burner tube. That would give the same symptom. They make a burner tube brush with a flexible shaft to clean them out. Otherwise, maybe the air adjustment needs a tweak. The yellow flame suggests a lack of air.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #6

I agree, probably a spider web or something in the burner tube. I like to use compressed air to blow it out. A yellow flame suggests a lack of oxygen. I had this happen on my old trailer once. After cleaning the burner tube, everything worked fine. It is good to clean the tube occasionally, especially after sitting for a while.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #7

Good advise on cleaning the burner tubes gang. I'll be sure and check mine....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Yup! Y'all were right. I just cleaned a big spider nest out of the burner tube.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyEm View Post
Yup! Y'all were right. I just cleaned a big spider nest out of the burner tube.
As usual the Jayco Owners come through.....
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote