Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
First long trip any tips?

So the DW and I are about 6 weeks away from our first long haul we are so excited to be headed to the Fort (1300 miles each way) we hope to do around 400mi a day. Our tt (x17z) is still pretty well brand new, under 500 miles on it. Other then hitting the scale to confirm weight, full propane tanks, proper tire pressures any tips last minute checks or suggestions to make our first big adventure smooth sailing? Must haves? Can't live withouts?

Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
See you at the FORT.

PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Stop every 2-2 1/2 hours to walk around and check out both vehicles. Just have a good time. Keep a good eye on both vehicles. watch everybody around you. There is more, and the more you pull you trailer the more you will feel at ease.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
Thing a couple steps ahead with things like fuel and when to stop for the night. Avoid last minute decisions to take this exit. Stow enough water [if leaving and traveling in above freezing temps for a couple overnights. Plan to overnite at a Walmart to buy the stuff you remember you forgot. Get in a safe lane and stay there. Don't go thru Atlanta anytime from 6am to 8 pm. Travel thru in the dead of the night, don't listen and you'll understand why I made the suggestion. Don't push it, that extra hour on the road doesn't accomplish much. Pick up some subs for lunch so you don't have to deal with fast foods or long waits at a restaurant. You;ll need to stop anyway, but packing lunch will allow the stops to be at rest areas instead of Wendy's parking lots.

Enjoy and oh bring lots of $$$$ its not going to be cheap.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #5
The one thing I would stress is take time to enjoy getting there, maybe shorten the day so you can stop and go through a museum or points of interest. Make time for everyone to enjoy the journey. Try to stop and have camp set up before sunset. Make time each day to make it special, play, relax and cherish every minute of the vacation.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #6

ps took me a while to learn this. ;-)
2010 Jayco Feather Sport 22'6" DrawTite,12,000 lbs.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT SCab 4x4 Tow Package
"If you can't be smart; be stubborn.". DG.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #7
Lots of good suggestions so far. Especially with the single axle trailer frequently checking the tires is a must. I take a quick look every time we stop and check for heat which could be an indication of under-inflation. Make sure and check them cold before pulling out for the day as well - the pressure can change with temperature and altitude changes. Being even a few lbs. under is hard on the tire and can lead to failure. I run both the trailer and the TV tires at the max sidewall pressure when towing.

Figure out where your particular set-up cruises best and then stick with that speed. For us it's 62 so to make about 400 miles per day is just over 6 hours of actual towing. We did that last September on our first long distance tow which was also about 1300 miles each way. We would hit the road by 8-830am and be setting up for the night around 5pm. For us it was not tiring or taxing.

If you have a GPS unit with mapping software you can find and store potential fuel stops and places to stay along your route ahead of time. I use Garmin's Base Camp app to plan the route then add in estimated fuel stops and overnight spots and then transfer that plan to the GPS unit. Fuel stops particularly because it goes a bit faster when your towing and you don't want to wait until the light comes on before you start looking. 10mpg is a reasonable estimate for planning purposes and I wanted to be pulling in someplace with no less than a 1/4 tank. You'll want to determine what your comfort level is based on your tank size - if in doubt fill up sooner rather than later.

Most of all - as others have stated - have a great time and enjoy the journey...
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition
TV: 2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn CC, 5.7L Hemi, 3.21, Factory Air Suspension/Tow Pkg, Andersen WD/SC
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:17 AM   #8
Have a safe trip and always watch your six at all times when you get out, because you never know what will happen, i don't know how you feel about having a weapon but I would have one close.

Nowadays I carry where ever I go, and I never leave without it, now if it a place where you can't carry put it in a safe.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #9
Site Team
Don't try and take all the food with you. Buy local as you go!

They sell paper towels and toilet paper everywhere!
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:59 AM   #10
I would take a couple of 5 gallon gas cans filled up just in case.

2016 North Point 377 RLBH
2006 Ford F350 Lariat, CC, 6.0PSD, DRW, SCT tuner, air bags, bullet proofed
Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote