Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

First long trip any tips?

So the DW and I are about 6 weeks away from our first long haul we are so excited to be headed to the Fort (1300 miles each way) we hope to do around 400mi a day. Our tt (x17z) is still pretty well brand new, under 500 miles on it. Other then hitting the scale to confirm weight, full propane tanks, proper tire pressures any tips last minute checks or suggestions to make our first big adventure smooth sailing? Must haves? Can't live withouts?
Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

See you at the FORT.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

Stop every 2-2 1/2 hours to walk around and check out both vehicles. Just have a good time. Keep a good eye on both vehicles. watch everybody around you. There is more, and the more you pull you trailer the more you will feel at ease.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Thing a couple steps ahead with things like fuel and when to stop for the night. Avoid last minute decisions to take this exit. Stow enough water [if leaving and traveling in above freezing temps for a couple overnights. Plan to overnite at a Walmart to buy the stuff you remember you forgot. Get in a safe lane and stay there. Don't go thru Atlanta anytime from 6am to 8 pm. Travel thru in the dead of the night, don't listen and you'll understand why I made the suggestion. Don't push it, that extra hour on the road doesn't accomplish much. Pick up some subs for lunch so you don't have to deal with fast foods or long waits at a restaurant. You;ll need to stop anyway, but packing lunch will allow the stops to be at rest areas instead of Wendy's parking lots.

Enjoy and oh bring lots of $$$$ its not going to be cheap.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

The one thing I would stress is take time to enjoy getting there, maybe shorten the day so you can stop and go through a museum or points of interest. Make time for everyone to enjoy the journey. Try to stop and have camp set up before sunset. Make time each day to make it special, play, relax and cherish every minute of the vacation.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #6

x2!

Dave

ps took me a while to learn this. ;-)
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

Lots of good suggestions so far. Especially with the single axle trailer frequently checking the tires is a must. I take a quick look every time we stop and check for heat which could be an indication of under-inflation. Make sure and check them cold before pulling out for the day as well - the pressure can change with temperature and altitude changes. Being even a few lbs. under is hard on the tire and can lead to failure. I run both the trailer and the TV tires at the max sidewall pressure when towing.

Figure out where your particular set-up cruises best and then stick with that speed. For us it's 62 so to make about 400 miles per day is just over 6 hours of actual towing. We did that last September on our first long distance tow which was also about 1300 miles each way. We would hit the road by 8-830am and be setting up for the night around 5pm. For us it was not tiring or taxing.

If you have a GPS unit with mapping software you can find and store potential fuel stops and places to stay along your route ahead of time. I use Garmin's Base Camp app to plan the route then add in estimated fuel stops and overnight spots and then transfer that plan to the GPS unit. Fuel stops particularly because it goes a bit faster when your towing and you don't want to wait until the light comes on before you start looking. 10mpg is a reasonable estimate for planning purposes and I wanted to be pulling in someplace with no less than a 1/4 tank. You'll want to determine what your comfort level is based on your tank size - if in doubt fill up sooner rather than later.

Most of all - as others have stated - have a great time and enjoy the journey...
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:17 AM   #8

Have a safe trip and always watch your six at all times when you get out, because you never know what will happen, i don't know how you feel about having a weapon but I would have one close.

Nowadays I carry where ever I go, and I never leave without it, now if it a place where you can't carry put it in a safe.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Don't try and take all the food with you. Buy local as you go!

They sell paper towels and toilet paper everywhere!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

I would take a couple of 5 gallon gas cans filled up just in case.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
X2! Something else to consider is a TPMS for the trailer tires. It will take a lot of guessing out of what's going on back there.

Happy travels!

Pawpaw

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

One aux gas can is enough. Goal is to get you to the next gas station if you end up having to stretch it [Don't do that!]. Have never been a fan of Tpms as they tend to be pretty pricey for a good system. My thinking is that as long as you have dual axles, you will feel a flat on one wheel so you can stop. If you make a policy of eyeballing your tires each time you stop for any reason, you should be good to go. I also check each hub by placing my hand on the hub after towing for 20 or 30 miles. Stop and have it checked if it is hot [not warm] to the touch.

Before your trip, open up at your home and test all your systems [fridge, furnace, lights in and out, water pump, Water heater [if you are dewinterized only], propane full, battery topped off].
Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Dan

One thing that proved useful on our long AK trip last summer was a 'trailer first aid'' kit. Just some stuff like electrical tape, gorilla tape, plumbers tape, zip ties, rv goop, etc. You may not experience rough roads to speak of, but it only takes a well-placed rock hit to need such a kit. On our return leg, a few thousand miles from home, I noticed water leaking from under the trailer while fueling up. Closer inspection revealed a cracked/leaking low point drain valve (presumably from a rock). We still wanted to have some water in the fresh tank so I fixed the leak with plumbers tape, electrical tape, and zip ties. Good luck and have fun!

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #14

We did a long trip this past June, 1100 miles each way. We stopped quite a bit to stretch our legs, grab a snack and check the TV and TT.

Usually DW sleeps while traveling and makes the driving boring. This trip she stayed awake the whole roundtrip, listened to lots of music and sang with radio .... we are horrible at singing, but it made us laugh and passed the time quickly.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #15

Don't forget to check out your TV thoroughly! We did our trip and our front wheel bearings went out. Found a Napa auto and I fixed them in front of their shop.
JTVaclavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Have a safe trip and always watch your six at all times when you get out, because you never know what will happen, i don't know how you feel about having a weapon but I would have one close.

Nowadays I carry where ever I go, and I never leave without it, now if it a place where you can't carry put it in a safe.
Missed your post first time thru but am in total agreement with carrying a means of protecting yourself while on the road. That remote campsite, a rest area late at night etc. To each their own, but my TT/TV is NOT a gun free zone. Just be aware of the states you will be traveling thru and act accordingly.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
x2 but make sure you can actually fill your TV with the gas can. I bought a can with the new anti-vapor lock on it and I could not get the spring loaded valve to release with the neck stuck in my truck's filler opening. The can proved to be a worthless purchase.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Missed your post first time thru but am in total agreement with carrying a means of protecting yourself while on the road. That remote campsite, a rest area late at night etc. To each their own, but my TT/TV is NOT a gun free zone. Just be aware of the states you will be traveling thru and act accordingly.
I always have at least 2 9mm handguns and extra magazines for each with me on a trip.
We're leaving for Florida Saturday, 1,000 miles, and I'm thinking I'll throw one of my ar's under the bed with some extra mags and an ammo can of 5.56x45.
Who knows, I might find a shooting range close by the camp ground.

No one ever complained because they ended up being over gunned.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi123 View Post
So the DW and I are about 6 weeks away from our first long haul we are so excited to be headed to the Fort (1300 miles each way) we hope to do around 400mi a day. Our tt (x17z) is still pretty well brand new, under 500 miles on it. Other then hitting the scale to confirm weight, full propane tanks, proper tire pressures any tips last minute checks or suggestions to make our first big adventure smooth sailing? Must haves? Can't live withouts?
We've found that on long travel days (6-8 hours), the most important thing is the comfort within the TV! We upgraded to diesel and as the passenger, I sure white-knuckle a whole lot less!!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #20

Just curious how do you all carry your gas? We had a can in trailer but it stunk. Since put it underneath in one of compartments but would prefer it attached on outside somehow.

BTW, my husband brings his gun too on camping trips. We have to be more careful though with locking it up because we have kids.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote