Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

First outing 'New' Rig

Extended weekend trip to the Adirondacks and back.

All hitched up:

The upgrade from 1/4 ton to 1 ton means SWMBO's Tacoma will never see towing duties again!

Unqualified success. 5.4V8 vs 3.8V6 and about 3,000# more of TV meant the trailer did EXACTLY as it was told. Including 50 gals of water.

Using a standard cab for a long trip leaves a whole lot to be desired! Especially with the fur baby "Mr. Rambunctious" along. Although that 'picture window' right behind one's head makes backing a breeze!

The list of nits to pick is long and won't be expanded here.

The goal of upgrading the seats to outlast a tank of fuel is still inconclusive. Bladders gave out before 1/2 tank of fuel used.

Fuel consumption change? I'm guessing we used a lot more. But since we never carefully tracked fuel usage with the Taco, comparing it to Montblanc would be pointless. The fact that we didn't have to fill up on the interstate give Montblanc one in the WIN column. The 35 (maybe larger) vs. 18 gallon fuel tank might be behind that.

All-in-all the upgraded truck preformed well. But I'm still looking forward to commissioning a custom old-school 1/2 ton SUV.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Team

Have a great time, and stay warm up there!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Have a great time, and stay warm up there!
Yup! We did.

Spent too much at the Festival of the Arts. Ate too much, too.

Reconnected with friends.

Heater in the TT worked great.

And proud of it!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Yea, we indulge in the wrong things when we go, too. Part of the "fun". Glad everything worked well. Unfortunately, I think we're done for the season. Bummer!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Yea, we indulge in the wrong things when we go, too. Part of the "fun". Glad everything worked well. Unfortunately, I think we're done for the season. Bummer!
Yeah. Time to seriously consider the possibility that it might be necessary to winterize.

At this trip's end, all the perishables wound up in her home fridge. I'll 'mouse proof' store the remaining edibles. The potent potables get brought indoors.

And proud of it!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Glad you got an outing in with Montblanc before the winter. We had our last outing this w/e too. Overnights down below 40, so the furnace got a bit of a workout. Taking our TT in for a pressure leak test tomorrow, then winterizing and closing her up until next spring.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Glad you got an outing in with Montblanc before the winter. We had our last outing this w/e too. Overnights down below 40, so the furnace got a bit of a workout. Taking our TT in for a pressure leak test tomorrow, then winterizing and closing her up until next spring.
Not totally closing down for the winter yet. Still a few dinners at Camp Driveway left in the season. Plus washing the exterior. The awning needs a good scrubbing and drying...

Some uncooked pasta got spilt earlier. Gotta get in there with one of the good vacuum cleaners!

And proud of it!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #8

Wow you guys shut down early. I go to the end of October. Some of the nicest camping to be had in the autumn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Living in Arizona we don't shut down. We go all year long. That's what nice about wintertime in the southwest.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Wow you guys shut down early. I go to the end of October. Some of the nicest camping to be had in the autumn.
There is GREAT camping to be done in October. Several camporees with my son's boy scout troop for starters.

There is something very special about unzipping the tent after frosty night.

But unprotected water systems don't fare so well... So, it's antifreeze in the lines before the risk of a hard frost (mid October). I had to make too many repairs to my last TT's water system because of winterizing too late!

And proud of it!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #11

It's been my experience that no water will freeze in the lines even when dipping below freezing at night as long as it goes back above during the day. I leave my fiver up in the Adirondacks until mid-late October with no issues and temps do dip down into the 30's at night by then. But never stays that cold during the daylight hours. But I'm back home on Long Island come November. Then things can get shaky up there.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
It's been my experience that no water will freeze in the lines even when dipping below freezing at night as long as it goes back above during the day. I leave my fiver up in the Adirondacks until mid-late October with no issues and temps do dip down into the 30's at night by then. But never stays that cold during the daylight hours. But I'm back home on Long Island come November. Then things can get shaky up there.
The 30+ year old brittle plastic fittings in my first TT proved otherwise. One frost: the kitchen faucet and the elbow near the city water connection had to be replaced.

Call me Paranoid. I know the brand-new tubing is much resilient and there are fewer fittings. So, I'll play it safe for now and not risk having to fix the water system come spring...

And proud of it!
Old 09-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
The 30+ year old brittle plastic fittings in my first TT proved otherwise. One frost: the kitchen faucet and the elbow near the city water connection had to be replaced.

Call me Paranoid. I know the brand-new tubing is much resilient and there are fewer fittings. So, I'll play it safe for now and not risk having to fix the water system come spring...

Yeah I suppose something that old could be brittle enough and also how well the unit is insulated from drafts would certainly play into it as well. Heck, my neighbor doesn't even winterize with RV antifreeze or blow out his lines. All he does is drain the water heater and open the valves on everything and that's it. Has yet to have a problem. I'm not that brave though.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah I suppose something that old could be brittle enough and also how well the unit is insulated from drafts would certainly play into it as well. Heck, my neighbor doesn't even winterize with RV antifreeze or blow out his lines. All he does is drain the water heater and open the valves on everything and that's it. Has yet to have a problem. I'm not that brave though.

I'm thinking that this year I'll use air to blow out the lines and then use antifreeze to protect just the pump and drain traps.

Clearing the antifreeze from the lines this spring was almost painful.

And proud of it!
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #15

Safe travels!