Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

First trip out - 2012 32TSBH

Well, as you guys know, about a month ago our 2009 32BHDS was stolen. I won't rehash that story (there is a thread here if someone wants to read about that), but we finally settled all of the insurance issues on the TT and replaced it with a new 2012 32 TSBH. We have 6 kids (14yo boy, 13 yo girl, 10 yo boy, 7 yo girl, and twin girls that are 3) so the hug bunk room in this camper was perfect for us. Here is a shot as it was being prepped at te dealer:

I picked it up on Friday and installed a ProPride 3P hitch right there in the parking lot. Big thanks to Sean at ProPride for having everything delivered riht to the dealer on time, and helping me make sure I brough all of the tools I needed.

So I finished the hitch, loaded a few of the items we bought for the camper into it, and wen't to pick up the family. Here it is, as we were loading a couple of thing into it from the house:

Then we left right for Cumberland Mountain State Park:

Our campsite is a little bare because we haven't completely finished buying everything we needed again. We just bought the basics until we get the settlement for our homeonwers insurance for the contents (it's amazing how much that stuff adds up).

While we were there, they happened to have a 15k trail run that I finished on Saturday. Did it in about an hour and a half - usually I run quite a bit faster, but the trails were pretty rough with rocks and roots - but that's what makes trail runnig fun.

Well, here are the high points / random thoughts:

1) The ProPride is an awesome hitch. We had a HA on our last TT and decided to go with the 3P for a couple of reasons: adjustable hitch can be use on multiple trucks, didn't have to drill into the trailer frame, and it was about $750 cheaper. Both hitches work great, but I was very satisfied with the 3P. Took me about 2-2.5 hours to install all by myself, and being very thorough and meticulous.

2) Our last 32BHDS had a huge otdoor storage areas (no kitchen) in the back that I'll really miss, as well as a bigger bathroom with a second door.

3) Other than that, we love the 32 TSBH. Jayco added several "little things" that I'll list in no real order:
- The light under the stairs is a nice touch
- Has a built in black tank flush
- the sealed underbelly has an access panel - nice if you need to get in
- power tounge jack and stabilizers are easy
- the built in nike / cargo tray is neat, however you do loose a few inches of ground clearance.
- The quality is very good - all "fit and finish" items looked great.
- Having a power awning with adjustable tilt is great - best of both worlds

This is our 3rd Jayco, and we've loved them all. We're just glad that we're back camping again - loosing a full month in spring stinks, but it could have been MUCH worse (thankfully we had gap coverage).

Here is the floorplan:

Old 05-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #2

Nice looking tt.

Try not to let this one get away.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

very nice, happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Very nice. That looks like one rooooooomy floorplan.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

great looking tt, just in time for summer have fun..
Riverbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Very nice. That looks like one rooooooomy floorplan.
Thanks all.

Yes, I was stunned at the amount of room in the back. There is plenty of room that if we ever wanted to have a movie night due to poor weather we could have a couple of kids on the bunks, unfold the Jay Cubes, throw a bunch of pillows and comforter around and have room for the whole family.

Have decided if we're going out next week, but ee've got reservations for Memorial Day in Pigeon Forge, and then two weeks later in Townsend (in the Smokies) right on the river.

Got to make up for lost time.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

Great looking setup! If we had more kids, that is the floor plan we would have. But, I love my outside kitchen.

I'm glad to see some good come out of your troubles. IMO, there is a special place in **** for thieves.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Ranger, your post made me smile! I'm so glad it ended well for you and I know you'll enjoy your new TT.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Congrats and enjoy the new unit. Looks way nice......
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #10

That 32tsbh is an amazing fit for a family your size. Congrats on the new tt and glad things worked out in the end
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #11

Now that's a trailer! Glad to hear your back out camping with the "fam". BTW, is your Excursion a diesel?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

Fabulous camper, and I love the Excursion as well. That trailer looks like it has a lot of room in it, sure to get many years of great use out of it.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
Now that's a trailer! Glad to hear your back out camping with the "fam". BTW, is your Excursion a diesel?
Nope, it's the V-10 gasser. I wouldn't have minded a diesel, but when not towing it's mostly used for short errands by the wife, and diesels aren't really fans of lots of short trips, plus the higher cost of diesel (IMO) doesn't seem to pay off. I'm sure the towing MPG is higher, but for most regular driving I don't think it justifies the higher cost of the truck and the higher cost of fuel.

That being said, I wouldn't have said no to a diesel either, but this one has plenty of towing capacity.

The truck appears to be "squating" a bit more than normal there - maybe it's the hill I'm parked on...

Thanks for the kind words all - it's really great to be "back in buisness" again!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #14

Nice TT! We considered that TT when buying the 2012 32BHDS but didn't for whatever reason. I was thinking it was due to weight but it's GVWR is only 300lb. more than mine. Maybe it was the wife wanting the second door or me wanting the outside kitchen, I can't recall. Anyway you NEEDED the extra space lol. I only have 3 kids and 1 is an 18 year old daughter that doesn't like to go camping so much anymore, so we have all the room we need. It was a heck of a step up from the Jayco Select HW pup we had!
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #15

Hey Ranger, sweet looking camper! Looks kinda familiar! I am very happy your story has a great ending. We love our 32TSBH, even with the issues, which for the most part we should have never seen due to a dealer that didn't do their job. The bunk area is versatile and works so well with the J-cubes. My 9 year old daughter continues to amaze me with all the different configurations she comes up with for that 100 sq ft or so of space! The bunk house of the 32TSBH with the J-Cubes, some blankets, and pillows is a dream come true for a kid.

Here's another aspect we've found works very well... pets! We have a couple medium size lab mix dogs (one yellow and one black) and the bunkhouse has plenty of space for the dogs and the kids. The J-cubes are easy for the dogs to climb up on and sleep next to the kids. The dogs really like the J-cubes actually since they are the perfect height for them. The large windows on the lower bunks of both slides provide a nice viewing area for them to look outside too.

There's one other thing we use the bunkhouse and all it's space for, our ice machine! Our Emerson ice maker fits perfect in the right corner of the bunkhouse near the door. It kicks out ice all day and we have plenty for drinks, snow cones, etc! We fire it up in the morning and turn it off at night to keep the noise down.

I really think Jayco did a lot of things right in the design. The missing storage space hurts at times, but can be overcome with smart packing and some vehicle support.

PS - Don't forget to open your stove vent outside! We just got rid of the bacon smell a few days ago... My wife found a very nice scent to replace it with
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #16

Preston - Before our 32 BHDS we had a Jayco 232 - it's a Hybrid design that worked great when we had 4 kids, but we knew we outgrew it as soon as we found out my wife was carrying twins. It felt like a huge jump to go from 23' (closed for travel) to 32+ feet - I can't imagine jumping there from a PUP. I have to admit, on nice nights there are still times I miss the canvas.

Forgvn77 - I read your thread and was on the lookout for similar issues. Luckily I didn't see any issues at all with the cabinetry, or really anywhere else. The only issue we had, and you can see it in the photo at the campsite, the orange running light by the cargo compartment (curb side) had the cover come off. Kind of annoying, but I'll have it replaced this week. If that's our biggest issue I'll be thrilled. Your right about pets, in addition to our kids, we have a Golden Retriever - she's plenty happy just to be camping, and when everyone is in bed has laid her claim to the couch. One of our older kids has shown the twins that a couple of comforters thrown over the table in the back makes for a nice "tent". I imagine it won't be long before a couple of Jaycubes turned sideways are brought into the mix - or at least that's the way I'd do it
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #17

Hey Ranger (or anyone else with a 32TSBH), ran into an issue today that you'll want to watch out for. We parked the camper and unhitched this evening after a weekend out at the campground. All went well and then I hit the switch in the back to deploy the door side rear slide. It was deploying and then got hung up on the far end towards the back and was turning sideways. I stopped the motor and wondered what the heck is going on? I went to the stuck side of the slide and noticed the top drawer in the wardrobe on that side had slid open and the slide had gotten hung up on it while deploying. I pulled the slide back in and closed the drawer. It was too late, the guides were bent I figured out what had happened. When we got our 32TSBH there were a number of screwed in things that weren't screwed in tight and were loose or somewhat loose. Door latch in the bathroom and the smoke alarm were two. The drawer latch on the top drawer in the left side of the wardrobe was also loose, but I didn't realize it. When the drawer was closed, it didn't latch tight enough to hold it in place. Without going all the way to the back and looking behind the slide there was no way to tell the drawer was open. I'm adding the drawer guides to the list of things my dealer is going to fix. I'm sure I won't be the only person this'll happen to. Anyways, heads up before you deploy the rear slides!
Equalizer 12K
Forgvn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #18

Thanks for sharing that information! I can see where that could happen and you'd never see it. I will be sure to check for that. We had something kind of similar happen with a broom in ou old 32BHDS, luckily no damage other than a bent broom handle.

I will check the drawers in our unit, and be sure to share this with my wife, who usually does the slides while I am outside.

Thanks agan!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #19

Ranger, glad to see things worked out for you. If that's your house in the background, it looks really nice too.
I think in another post you recommended Roadmaster Active Suspension. I wasn't familiar with it so I read up on it. I liked what I saw and read and might buy one. Thank-you for that. I know you mentioned that your truck is squatting more than normal in the picture. I thought you don't have the spring bars connected or possibly the rise on the hitch shank isn't tall enough. The trailer looks level, just wondering if the height of the hitch ball is higher (plus more) than the height of top of the coupler on level ground? Sorry if I'm being too judgmental.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #20

I have everything adjusted about right. The shank on the hitch bar is within a half inch of being perfectly level, which is as close as you can get since the adjustment holes on the draw bar are about 3/4 - 1" apart. I may have to adjust the WD a bit, and the truck is carrying more weight in the back than usual (plus the whole tribe & dog) because I had just picked up the trailer and threw stuff in the back. I may have to crank up the RAS a bit too, but wanted to wait a bit until the the TT was loaded more like it will be for camping. Even with a TT that size, the Excursion handled the TT great, no issues whatsoever.