Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

First trip to North East USA

Hi All, I am new to RVing bought my 5th wheel end of last summer and pick it up start of May this year right after i pick up the new Truck in April. My first big trip will be at the end of June till first week of Aug. My plan is leaving Eastern On. Canada for Concorde NH, Boston, NYC, either Buffalo or Niagra Falls and then Grand Bend On. Canada and home. If anyone has any campgrounds or must see sites at any of these places please let me know.
I can't wait to hitch and go I should mention that I am a family of 4 with boys aged 12 and 14.

Thanks,

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Congrats on the purchase of your camper. Welcome to JOF. There are a lot of good people on here that can help.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #3

The Lake George area of NY is a great spot to see, lots of wonderful campgrounds there.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #4

For NYC the closest and most convenient is Liberty Harbor Marina. Its in Jersey City, literally across the Hudson from Lower Manhattan. You can access the city by the Holland Tunnel if you drive, the PATH train is a 10 minute walk, and there is a commuter ferry from the Marina to lower Manhattan. The PATH train is the cheapest and easiest, so long as you don't mind a 10 minute walk to and from the Grove St station.

You are literally a 5 minute ride from the PATH to Lower Manhattan subways. It is ridiculously priced for what it is. It is literally a parking lot with RV hookups and a bath house. No frills, you won't be hanging out at the site. The sole draw is the immediate access to the city. I've been there before, we plan to go back again.

Lake George is GORGEOUS. My mom lived on the lake when she was younger. I have vague memories of it, but from pictures it is gorgeous.

That trip sounds very nice, please give a trip update afterwards!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
For NYC the closest and most convenient is Liberty Harbor Marina. Its in Jersey City, literally across the Hudson from Lower Manhattan. You can access the city by the Holland Tunnel if you drive, the PATH train is a 10 minute walk, and there is a commuter ferry from the Marina to lower Manhattan. The PATH train is the cheapest and easiest, so long as you don't mind a 10 minute walk to and from the Grove St station.

You are literally a 5 minute ride from the PATH to Lower Manhattan subways. It is ridiculously priced for what it is. It is literally a parking lot with RV hookups and a bath house. No frills, you won't be hanging out at the site. The sole draw is the immediate access to the city. I've been there before, we plan to go back again.

Lake George is GORGEOUS. My mom lived on the lake when she was younger. I have vague memories of it, but from pictures it is gorgeous.

That trip sounds very nice, please give a trip update afterwards!
Perfect way to phrase it, I work and live in the area. No frills but closest to NYC. Don't try to bring your camper through. Tolls are pricey
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on new truck and travel trailer
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #7

Congratulations on the new truck, new trailer, and your newbie RV experience!

I can't help you with your question regarding campgrounds etc., eh. But, we'll honk and wave as we drive east on 17 near your hometown about the last week of July. We'll be on our way to the Gaspe, PEI, Cabot Trail, etc.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #8

Sounds like a nice trip oldmanAZ I haven't been down the Cabot Trail or the Gaspe, my trip to New Brunswick i stayed in the southern part around the Bay of Fundy. What is your route home?

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:07 AM   #9

Congratulations and welcome! Haven't been there yet, but I've heard that Boston Minutemen Campground is a great place to stay.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote