Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Marcm157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 1,201
I've been a die hard Ford fan for my entire life. I currently own several including a Mustang and a 54 Sunliner Convertible.

I've driven F150's for about 15 years now and have always been a V8 guy. When the Eco came out I laughed at the literature and as recently as 2013 I bought a 5.0. I towed a variety of trailers but admittedly never a TT. Most often it was my boat which weighed in at about 6800 pounds. When I traded my 2013 for a 2016, I wavered and bought the 3.5 Ecoboost. I now pull a 28BHBE and I am very impressed with the power, and capabilities of this truck. I have to say IMO, as far as pulling power the Eco probably just ekes out the 5.0 -

That being said, I agree 100% that the rear end gearing is a huge factor. I made a critical mistake in accepting a truck set up to tow that only has 3.31 gearing in the rear. My first thought was mileage but I regret not going with a better ratio of 3.55 or even 3.73.
__________________

__________________
_______________________________________________
2016 Ford F250 Supercab - 6.2 - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch
2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - (Reluctantly sold and deeply missed)
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,268
Change your ring and pinion and have the vehicle flashed to accept the new ratio. $200 gets you the R&P + labor. Everything else in the rear is the same.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 957
For that small of a trailer, either would work great. If you have a lot of higher mountain passes, the turbo E-B will create more power at higher elevations. Both engines are good choices and should move you right on down the road with relative ease.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Modesto
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Change your ring and pinion and have the vehicle flashed to accept the new ratio. $200 gets you the R&P + labor. Everything else in the rear is the same.
Only $200???? Man...I've been putting this off because I thought it would be $1000 or more. I made the same mistake. Didn't know anything about rear ratios and thought that 3.31 was better.

Live and learn.
__________________
2014 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with 3.31 rear drive
2016 White Hawk 23MRB
tylersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
Only $200???? Man...I've been putting this off because I thought it would be $1000 or more. I made the same mistake. Didn't know anything about rear ratios and thought that 3.31 was better.

Live and learn.
You probably have a 9.75" rear w/electronic locking diff. Just make sure all parameters are the same. (size, diff. and payload package). Ratio is adjustable. For instance, there are 2 ring gear sizes in the F150. 8.8" and more commonly 9.75". The axle shafts stay the same with the 9.75". They only change with payload packages. Base payload, Heavy Duty payload and the SVT (Raptor) and not with ratio. So if you have a 9.75" ring gear with an electronic locker, base payload pkg. and 3.31 ratio, replacing the ring gear with a 3.55 or 3.73 will change ratio only. Axles only change with payload packages regardless of ratio. But the vehicle needs to be flashed so it knows what rear it's dealing with, which adjusts your mph and odometer to read correctly. But remember, EVERYTHING but the ratio needs to be identical when purchasing the ring and pinion.

- Size (8.8 or 9.75)
- Payload package (Base, Heavy Duty)
- What type differential (Less LTD slip, With LTD slip or Electronic locker)
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 59
You might as well throw a Super Duty into the argument. I'm sure some would argue that a 150 is "good enough." And perhaps your current trailer is "only" 5000 pounds. But there are a few considerations, such as: what will you tow in the future, how much weight will you put into the bed of the truck while towing, where will you be towing, what else will you do with the truck?
Although half ton truck manufacturers publish some hefty numbers, which no doubt they can tow, other considerations are: stopping power, suspension, transmission mapping and capability, frame, and overall towing confidence. No one ever regretted having too much truck (ok, maybe someone...).
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Marcm157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You probably have a 9.75" rear w/electronic locking diff. Just make sure all parameters are the same. (size, diff. and payload package). Ratio is adjustable. For instance, there are 2 ring gear sizes in the F150. 8.8" and more commonly 9.75". The axle shafts stay the same with the 9.75". They only change with payload packages. Base payload, Heavy Duty payload and the SVT (Raptor) and not with ratio. So if you have a 9.75" ring gear with an electronic locker, base payload pkg. and 3.31 ratio, replacing the ring gear with a 3.55 or 3.73 will change ratio only. Axles only change with payload packages regardless of ratio. But the vehicle needs to be flashed so it knows what rear it's dealing with, which adjusts your mph and odometer to read correctly. But remember, EVERYTHING but the ratio needs to be identical when purchasing the ring and pinion.

- Size (8.8 or 9.75)
- Payload package (Base, Heavy Duty)
- What type differential (Less LTD slip, With LTD slip or Electronic locker)
Just remember if you have a 4x4 you have to do the front differential as well.
__________________
_______________________________________________
2016 Ford F250 Supercab - 6.2 - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch
2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - (Reluctantly sold and deeply missed)
2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Just remember if you have a 4x4 you have to do the front differential as well.
Yes indeed. Guess I should have mentioned that. Good call.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2013 Ford F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
North of 49°'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 630
Some good comments here. I recently went from a 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 V8, 4 speed and 3.73 rear to a 2013 F-150 Ecoboost with a 6 speed and 3.55. I thought the Silverado towed our trailer adequately, but with the Ecoboost, there is no comparison. This is also my daily driver, and having a more fuel-friendly gear ratio also helps. We're not interested in a larger trailer, so what the Ecoboost offers in power is just fine for us.
__________________
Geoff & Jill
& Sierra, the little white monster
2013 Ford F-150 XTR SC Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
You might as well throw a Super Duty into the argument.
Definitely good advice. We considered a 250 but decided our towing needs were unlikely to change dramatically in the next five years, and that's about as long as we'd keep the truck anyway. Our truck is my wife's daily driver, so size was a consideration and she didn't want a 250 for everyday duty. Everyone's needs are different, obviously, but that's how it played out for us.

About the only 'regret' I have, and it's not too serious, is that I should have paid more attention to max tow. There weren't a lot of 1-2 year old max tow trucks on the market when we went shopping, and I decided it wasn't a big deal, even a 'regular' EcoBoost F150 can pull a fair amount more than the trailers we were interested in. With additional experience, I would now pay more attention to payload -- we only have 1425 available to us, which means I have to pay attention to what we bring. We could have picked up a max tow F150 with 500-1000 pounds more payload capacity and had more margin to work with. And I wouldn't have had to install the brake controller or mirrors .

Live and learn! Good to ask questions here, I wish I had.
__________________

__________________
2016 X213 ⇝ Eq10K ⇝ 2014 EcoBeast
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.