Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Site Team

Ford F-150 diesel coming in 2018

Ford F-150 diesel coming in 2018 | Fox News

It’s finally happened.

For the first time in 70 years, Ford is making a diesel version of its light duty F-Series truck.
The automaker announced on Sunday that the redesigned 2018 F-150 will be available with a new Power Stroke 3.0-liter V6, a long-rumored and much-anticipated development.
Power and fuel economy ratings for the diesel F-150 have not yet been revealed, but Ford expects it to be popular with customers who buy their trucks to use for towing. It’ll be matched to a version of Ford’s new 10-speed automatic transmission that debuted in the 2017 F-150 Raptor.

Along with the diesel, 2018 F-150 buyers will have four new or updated gasoline engines to choose from, all with fuel-saving stop-start capability: an entry-level 3.3-liter V6; 2.7-liter and 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6; and a 5.0-liter V8 featuring direct and port fuel injection for improved power and efficiency. The turbocharged and V8-powered trucks will use the 10-speed transmission, while the 3.3-liter V6 comes with a six-speed. Ford promises a maximum tow rating in excess of 12,200 pounds.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Have to wonder why?? Are they going to increase the heft of the 1500 so it can handle a heaver payload along with the higher tow capacity? At some point the significance of the 1500 vs 2500 will get lost unless the capacities of the 2500 are given similar bumps. Are we going to end up with RV manufacturers putting out 25k lb 5'ers?

This reminds me of the tech industry that made tablet pcs popular and then upped the size of smart phones to the point where they were to big to put in your pocket and the destinction between phone and tablet was hard to figure out.

In tow vehicles we have 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks with each offering a heaver payloads. Are we gong to end up with 1/2, 3/4. and duallys?? IN my mind that's pretty much what we have now.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

The article said the only other manufacturer producing diesel 1/2-ton pickups was Ram, but that's not true. Nissan is offering their a 5.0 liter Cummins in their Titan, and Toyota said the will be offering essentially the same drive train in the Tundra...
Old 01-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
The article said the only other manufacturer producing diesel 1/2-ton pickups was Ram, but that's not true. Nissan is offering their a 5.0 liter Cummins in their Titan, and Toyota said the will be offering essentially the same drive train in the Tundra...
Looks to me like they are doing a "me-to" thing with Ram and Nissan.
F150s and other 1/2ton pickups are often are used as daily drivers. I wonder how these new diesels will do when they spend the majority of their lives going from one stoplight to the next? I know the diesels in the larger trucks are not real happy doing that.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Not sure how they're rated, but CANYON & COLORADO also offer a diesel.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Have to wonder why?? Are they going to increase the heft of the 1500 so it can handle a heaver payload along with the higher tow capacity? At some point the significance of the 1500 vs 2500 will get lost unless the capacities of the 2500 are given similar bumps. Are we going to end up with RV manufacturers putting out 25k lb 5'ers?

This reminds me of the tech industry that made tablet pcs popular and then upped the size of smart phones to the point where they were to big to put in your pocket and the destinction between phone and tablet was hard to figure out.

In tow vehicles we have 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks with each offering a heaver payloads. Are we gong to end up with 1/2, 3/4. and duallys?? IN my mind that's pretty much what we have now.
Agree with this.
I don't need to tow more than 16000 lbs in a 1/2 ton if it is at the expense of payload capacity, and I'm pretty sure it will be. At best, it looks like they are cannibalizing from their own F250 sales. For people more concerned about how much weight they can put on / in their trucks this doesn't appear to be anything to get excited about.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Have to wonder why??
Fuel economy, and me-too because several competing trucks have small, efficient diesel options.

Quote:
The article said the only other manufacturer producing diesel 1/2-ton pickups was Ram, but that's not true. Nissan is offering their a 5.0 liter Cummins in their Titan
To be fair, the Titan XD weighs as much as a 3/4 ton pickup, despite a payload no better than a 1/2 ton. Maybe it should be called a 2/3 ton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
I wonder how these new diesels will do when they spend the majority of their lives going from one stoplight to the next? I know the diesels in the larger trucks are not real happy doing that.
I'd bet these will be fine, they're probably more like the diesels which have been put in cars for decades than the big daddies going into large pickups. A lot of the world uses diesels constantly for daily driving duty and they do fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not sure how they're rated, but CANYON & COLORADO also offer a diesel.
Those are rated below 1/2 ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
At best, it looks like they are cannibalizing from their own F250 sales.
I don't think there will be much cannibalizing. People who want a superduty size truck, or a 6.7L stump puller, are not going to go for an F150 with what amounts to an eco-diesel. I'm sure the 3.0L will be perfectly fine for every day duty, but even for an F150 it's nothing to write home about -- the 3.5L EB remains the range topper by a good margin.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootus View Post
To be fair, the Titan XD weighs as much as a 3/4 ton pickup, despite a payload no better than a 1/2 ton. Maybe it should be called a 2/3 ton
They're actually a heavy half ton. And the engine/trans combo get horrible mileage. Unless Toyota is able to do much better they will not be using the same engine.

The Ram eco does great on the road but towing capacity is lower than their gas version. I haven't looked into why but it is disappointing.
As long as Ford gets fuel economy up as long as towing it'll be a hit. There is a big gap between a half ton tow and a 3/4 ton.

I don't think stop light to stop light will be an issue. Look at all the VW that do it.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Team

Does not matter it will be above Crabman`s paygrade.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

If by stop light to stoplight you mean mainly used for short trips then owners aren't going to pleased with maintenance costs or visits to the shop under warranty for emission issues unless they come up with something other than the DEF system.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #11

The RAM 1500s use traditional steel bodies and coil spring rear suspensions, add the relatively heavy diesel engine and their payloads are on the low side, 1000-1300#. If Ford sticks with a traditional rear suspension and their lightweight aluminum bodies, payloads should be reasonable.

Either way, I think the second generation EcoBoost is a better bet, good power and not designed by the British like their "Lion" diesel engines. British engines are not known for their reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
They're actually a heavy half ton. And the engine/trans combo get horrible mileage. Unless Toyota is able to do much better they will not be using the same engine.

The Ram eco does great on the road but towing capacity is lower than their gas version. I haven't looked into why but it is disappointing.
As long as Ford gets fuel economy up as long as towing it'll be a hit. There is a big gap between a half ton tow and a 3/4 ton.

I don't think stop light to stop light will be an issue. Look at all the VW that do it.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #12

Having worked and re worked suspensions for years especially in the field of off-roading, I have maintained and said many times, yet it seems to always go right through people dismissively.
Some of these half tons have tremendous payload and towing capacities, in some instances surpassing a level usually reserved for a 3/4 ton on up. This is very admirable. However, there comes a point where physical size of what is being towed has to be considered. Many trailers are well under the weight limits of what these great half tons are rated for. Yet, these trailers are still just too big by size and length. The 1/2 tons are usually set up independent front suspensions nowadays. Whereas the 3/4 tons and up utilize solid axle. Then take into account, at the factory, half ton frames are different and lighter than 3/4 ton and up. What this means is inescapable; comparatively, a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton will still handle the large weight and towing loads differently. There will still be a point where one must realize that just because you can do a thing does not mean you should. That goes for any classification of truck. After all, 550s and 5500s can handle the weights of many loaded small semi trailers, so why wouldn't a short haul around town trucking company save their money and buy one of these instead of buying a Mack, or Peterbilt? Cargo and towing capacity are there....
For those motor heads who want to go and start lifting, and dropping lockers, and reduction boxes, and helical gear reduction hubs to portal axles, etc., the heavy duty components of the 3/4 ton and up are still going to take much more punishment. Yet I do see the 3/4 ton and higher eventually (in the near future) getting the enevitable upgrade to increase their capacities.
After all, the simple fact of history lies in the origin of the titles 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton. Long ago, those classifications came about because that was the cargo capability of the truck. A 1/2 ton managed 1000lbs, a 3/4 ton managed 1500lbs and 1tons managed 2000lbs. We have long since moved far ahead of that realm but the classification sticks.

To put it simpler: man A has a half ton that can tow 12,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds. So he buys a trailer that weighs 7000 pounds and once every is loaded his tongue weight is 1200 pounds, and his trailer is 36 feet long, hitch to bumper. So off he goes down the highway. He finds that in high winds and when big trucks pass he gets blown around a lot even though he has the best WDH/anti sway money can buy. So he dismisses it all and just the way things are. Yet man B has a 3/4 ton that can tow only 11,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity 3,500 pounds, and he buys the exact same trailer and hitch set up as man A, and even follows man A up the highway, yet he is not blown around near as much. How can this be? it is all in how the suspension components are built and how they operate.
The same comparisons can be made in the 3/4 ton class alone when you compare a single rear wheel to a dual rear wheel. Singles lie around the 11,500 pound tow rating and dually's jump up to 14,400 pounds.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Having worked and re worked suspensions for years especially in the field of off-roading, I have maintained and said many times, yet it seems to always go right through people dismissively.
Some of these half tons have tremendous payload and towing capacities, in some instances surpassing a level usually reserved for a 3/4 ton on up. This is very admirable. However, there comes a point where physical size of what is being towed has to be considered. Many trailers are well under the weight limits of what these great half tons are rated for. Yet, these trailers are still just too big by size and length. The 1/2 tons are usually set up independent front suspensions nowadays. Whereas the 3/4 tons and up utilize solid axle. Then take into account, at the factory, half ton frames are different and lighter than 3/4 ton and up. What this means is inescapable; comparatively, a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton will still handle the large weight and towing loads differently. There will still be a point where one must realize that just because you can do a thing does not mean you should. That goes for any classification of truck. After all, 550s and 5500s can handle the weights of many loaded small semi trailers, so why wouldn't a short haul around town trucking company save their money and buy one of these instead of buying a Mack, or Peterbilt? Cargo and towing capacity are there....
For those motor heads who want to go and start lifting, and dropping lockers, and reduction boxes, and helical gear reduction hubs to portal axles, etc., the heavy duty components of the 3/4 ton and up are still going to take much more punishment. Yet I do see the 3/4 ton and higher eventually (in the near future) getting the enevitable upgrade to increase their capacities.
After all, the simple fact of history lies in the origin of the titles 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton. Long ago, those classifications came about because that was the cargo capability of the truck. A 1/2 ton managed 1000lbs, a 3/4 ton managed 1500lbs and 1tons managed 2000lbs. We have long since moved far ahead of that realm but the classification sticks.

To put it simpler: man A has a half ton that can tow 12,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds. So he buys a trailer that weighs 7000 pounds and once every is loaded his tongue weight is 1200 pounds, and his trailer is 36 feet long, hitch to bumper. So off he goes down the highway. He finds that in high winds and when big trucks pass he gets blown around a lot even though he has the best WDH/anti sway money can buy. So he dismisses it all and just the way things are. Yet man B has a 3/4 ton that can tow only 11,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity 3,500 pounds, and he buys the exact same trailer and hitch set up as man A, and even follows man A up the highway, yet he is not blown around near as much. How can this be? it is all in how the suspension components are built and how they operate.
The same comparisons can be made in the 3/4 ton class alone when you compare a single rear wheel to a dual rear wheel. Singles lie around the 11,500 pound tow rating and dually's jump up to 14,400 pounds.
Excellent post... and exactly why I have the pickup I have... Thanks!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #14

I wonder if the "Front Surface Area" will go up with these improved ratings?

A 2014 F-150 has a max surface area of 60 square feet. Might be off topic, but how many travel trailers will exceed that and still meet the other requirements for the increased payload. Out here in the west, the wind can do a number on you if you don't pay much attention to that surface area.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:

Dead on, couldn't have said it better.
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Some of these half tons have tremendous payload and towing capacities, in some instances surpassing a level usually reserved for a 3/4 ton on up. This is very admirable. However, there comes a point where physical size of what is being towed has to be considered. Many trailers are well under the weight limits of what these great half tons are rated for. Yet, these trailers are still just too big by size and length.
Then how do you explain the new 1 tons being rated to tow 30,000#? That trailer is 3 times the weight of the truck! I guess that is safer than a 1/2 ton at 1.5 or 2 times their weight.

Quote:
The 1/2 tons are usually set up independent front suspensions nowadays. Whereas the 3/4 tons and up utilize solid axle.
What about the GM trucks? They have been IFS since '88

Quote:
Then take into account, at the factory, half ton frames are different and lighter than 3/4 ton and up. What this means is inescapable; comparatively, a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton will still handle the large weight and towing loads differently. There will still be a point where one must realize that just because you can do a thing does not mean you should. That goes for any classification of truck. After all, 550s and 5500s can handle the weights of many loaded small semi trailers, so why wouldn't a short haul around town trucking company save their money and buy one of these instead of buying a Mack, or Peterbilt? Cargo and towing capacity are there....

To put it simpler: man A has a half ton that can tow 12,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds. So he buys a trailer that weighs 7000 pounds and once every is loaded his tongue weight is 1200 pounds, and his trailer is 36 feet long, hitch to bumper. So off he goes down the highway. He finds that in high winds and when big trucks pass he gets blown around a lot even though he has the best WDH/anti sway money can buy. So he dismisses it all and just the way things are.
If he has the best hitch money can buy which is a Hensley or ProPride then he will not be blown around by passing semis. The fact is, on very windy days I can out tow my buddy's 2004 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins 6 speed towing a 2010 Jayco 28BHS. I don't beat him on power or hill climbing (or gas stations!)...his truck makes mine look like it is standing still, I beat him in maintaining speed with NO sway or worries. He will slow down due to light sway even with his Reese Pro WDH with friction sway built in.

Quote:
Yet man B has a 3/4 ton that can tow only 11,500 pounds and has a cargo capacity 3,500 pounds, and he buys the exact same trailer and hitch set up as man A, and even follows man A up the highway, yet he is not blown around near as much. How can this be? it is all in how the suspension components are built and how they operate.
Nowadays the 3/4 tons are rated up towards 17k# and 1 tons are rated up to 30k#.

I do agree with you in that there are a huge number of 1/2 ton trucks towing way more than they should and they do it without any form of WDH or sway control. I usually pass them as I don't want to see the aftermath when they wreck!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Excellent post... and exactly why I have the pickup I have... Thanks!
Me too. I had a 1500 class truck pulling our 7000# 27BHS and, after two tows, I know I was going to have to pay the stupid tax and trade up. We now pull with a 350 diesel and it is a night and day difference. The suspension on that truck holds that 31 foot trailer very steady going down the road. WAY better than our 1500.
andrewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #18

The new Ford diesel (3.0 Power Stroke) will be paired with a 10 speed with SelectShift capability. The second gen 2.7L EcoBoost V6 will also sport the 10 speed trans as well as the 5.0. They'll also introduce a new 3.3L with AutoStart and Stop and a 6 speed trans. but will offer the same HP and torque as the 3.5L (282Hp-253 lbft.) which they'll discontinue.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #19

I don't know about you guys, but as much of a truck and trailer enthusiast as I am, it's hard for me to get excited about this stuff. I'm just waiting for the 75K price sticker to come along with this new diesel and make it only a pipe dream to own for the average joe trying to put bread on the table. Sure, the technology is interesting, and the numbers impressive, but I could read about fighter jets in the same way as the new vehicles with insane price tags; maybe I'll get to see one from a distance.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
...snip....

Yeah, VW is paying out $14 billion in fines and refunds because their Oh-So-Perfect engines were built to lie when asked if they were operating properly!

Trying to operate a Diesel on almost always short trips will give the owner a short and expensive service life.

I love Diesel! But one has to know how to treat them properly. Give them the room to run and you will get great service.

Someone with an under 10 mile trip to work will have nothing but problems if he/she tries to use a Diesel for that. My Jetta 2.0TDi and 120 mile-per-day commute were a beautifully matched pair. 100,000 miles of just routine maintenance. The closing on the buyback is 2/25/17.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote