Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2daniel View Post
Exactly!! That's where my question originally came from. Keeping the hose closed up with moisture inside does not seem like a good idea from a bacteria or mold point of view but it keeps the insects out.
...snip...
Where I stored my water hose in a class-B, bugs and other contaminants were my primary concern so I connected the ends together. I never had a problem with either mold or bacteria, and never gave those possibilities a thought, but maybe I was lucky.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #22

Another related question that may help OP (and others like myself)... How long do you seasoned campers use the same FW hose?

This is only our second season but I was planning to get a new one every year (even though I bleach it before each use). I already plan on changing the inline filter every season. Neither is expensive so I figure why not...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #23
Site Team

I use it until it starts leaking. Always hook the ends together.

To my knowledge I have never sanitized a hose but maybe once years ago. I do wipe the outside off before storing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #24

Quote:
What are the vented caps that some talk about? Do they screw onto the ends of the hose with a screen to keep the bugs out but let air get in and dry out the hose? I've never seen them, but then again I've never looked for them becasue I didn't know they existed Anyone have a set they like?
Vented caps: Look at posting #11 where I recapped our success with using vented Drinking Water Hose Storage Cap.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Vented caps: Look at posting #11 where I recapped our success with using vented Drinking Water Hose Storage Cap.
Thanks! sorry I missed it.

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #26

Water from a tap at the CG is properly treated and sanitized water from whatever water source the park is close to (city, county, etc.). This is the same water that flows through all sorts of pipes until it eventually gets to the park or our homes. How often does anyone want to sanitize our home pipes? I never haul bottled water and drink direct from any faucet in my 5'er. Fuel is too expensive/gallon, but bottled water is absolutely crazy expensive.

I never worry about my fresh water hose unless it is leaking at which time I replace it. I just replaced my original hose a few weeks ago that has been in full time use since August 2010. I was expecting it to explode since it has been getting bigger and bigger each year. It had spend 4 summers in the Florida Panhandle out in the sun each day so I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

Not to go make another cup of coffee out of water that came through my fresh water system.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Water from a tap at the CG is properly treated and sanitized water from whatever water source the park is close to (city, county, etc.). This is the same water that flows through all sorts of pipes until it eventually gets to the park or our homes. How often does anyone want to sanitize our home pipes? I never haul bottled water and drink direct from any faucet in my 5'er. Fuel is too expensive/gallon, but bottled water is absolutely crazy expensive.

I never worry about my fresh water hose unless it is leaking at which time I replace it. I just replaced my original hose a few weeks ago that has been in full time use since August 2010. I was expecting it to explode since it has been getting bigger and bigger each year. It had spend 4 summers in the Florida Panhandle out in the sun each day so I definitely got my money's worth out of it.

Not to go make another cup of coffee out of water that came through my fresh water system.
While this may be true at many campgrounds, it's not true at all campgrounds. Many parts of the country, especially in the West are not on any community water systems. Many are on wells, and many others have to haul water in from wells or other sources. Some still draw their water from rivers. So using some sort of filter, if for no other reason than to remove particulate is prudent. Also drinking bottled or further filtering of water is also advised. At times it is easy to forget not all water, sewer, internet and electrical systems are the same we may have at home. Knowing the area you will be visiting and researching what is and isn't available is the best way to not be disappointed, or ill.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #28

Bleach? I'd be afraid of any that might still be in that hose, no matter how long I flushed the hose before connecting it to the TT and water source. I've always connected the two ends together when I pack up, and then flush the hose for about 30 seconds at the campsite before connecting to the TT.

The wife and I drink bottled water for the most part, and use the water hookup for washing the dishes and toliet use.

This reminded me of the late George Carlin skit he used to do about drinking water. he always joked on everyone carrying their own bottled water and a side of beef over their shoulder. The skit went on further about how he swam in polluted water, and that was good for building up the imunities; everything "foreign" went straight to the colon!

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #29

I use a Berkey water filter system in my RV, which by all accounts, will create safe drinking water from some rather unclean sources.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #30

YOUR health is of prime importance, but beyond that is the health of your rig's pipes (granted, these are house pipe pictures - but the build-up anywhere is scary). Have you ever purchased coffee out of an automated machine and heard a plop as the cup fills? I did and it was a lime scale chunk - UGH!

Mineral build-up occurs where the water source is extremely hard (e.g., wells) and is delivered unfiltered - the result is mineral (lime, iron, etc.) build-up that restricts water flow and results in clogged faucets, showers, toilets, washing machines, dishwashers, and water heater. An inexpensive test kit is useful for determining if you are a hard-water victim. Wikipedia explains the impact of "hard water".

For lime build-up, a water/vinegar (food product and sanitizer) gets the job done without damaging plumbing. A benefit to filtering water? Less soap scum and mineral spotting, and better shampoo lather. See DIY instructions and DIY Network on how to remedy.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #31

Quote:
My house has copper pipes which are a natural anti-bacterial. Also house pipes don't sit stagnant for months on end and with access to oxygen so the situations can't be directly compared.

Just a question, do you sanitize your 5'er water system each year?

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #32

I sanitize my system every couple of years if I'm bored, but I full time so my system doesn't sit ever.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #33

"I'm acutally suprised there weren't more comments on this as it is has never come up in any threads I recall over the last year and a half."

I've not commented because I'm contrary. While I do use a RV water hose for the camper I grew up drinking from a regular hose; I still do around the house when working in the yard. Quality hose- not the el cheapos. By first running the water a short bit I've never noticed any off taste or odors.

Both of my fridge's have well expired filters. I never noticed any difference when they were new so haven't bothered changing them.

I think there's more marketing at play than real health benefits.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #34

Quote:
I sanitize my system every couple of years if I'm bored, but I full time so my system doesn't sit ever.

Are you using your water tank or hooked up to campground water? If your using your on board tanks, all the more reason to clean it once in a while. Amazing how fast mold can grow.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
"I'm acutally suprised there weren't more comments on this as it is has never come up in any threads I recall over the last year and a half."

I've not commented because I'm contrary. While I do use a RV water hose for the camper I grew up drinking from a regular hose; I still do around the house when working in the yard. Quality hose- not the el cheapos. By first running the water a short bit I've never noticed any off taste or odors.

Both of my fridge's have well expired filters. I never noticed any difference when they were new so haven't bothered changing them.

I think there's more marketing at play than real health benefits.

I don't think you would taste the difference, bad things many times have little taste. I too drank out of a garden hose, but, not on a regular basis for days or weeks at a time.

FYI most seasonal campground will run bleach or some sanitizer through their pipes when the campground is first opened. For several days after that it's not uncommon to smell the bleach. Working there and being there before the park opens, guess were subjected to more of the smell than guests would be. That being said, not every stand pipe is opened to allow the bleach water to run through them...so... better safe than sorry.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Are you using your water tank or hooked up to campground water? If your using your on board tanks, all the more reason to clean it once in a while. Amazing how fast mold can grow.
I am hooked up to shore water both at campgrounds where I host and also my home base site. I do use my fresh water tank regularly as well. Over the past few months I fill my fresh water tank and unhook the hose from both the faucet and the RV so it doesn't freeze. I then use the water from the fresh tank until low and then fill it up again. I find this much easier for me than heated hoses and worrying about where the freeze might take place. During the non freezing periods I use the water in my fresh tank every week or two just to keep it fresh and occasionally I completely drain the fresh tank and fill it up again.

As I said earlier, I use my system completely and full time. If I were only using it on weekends it would be a different story.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #37

Water hose

Re: water hoses, I just ordered one of these: Amazon.com : Clear Flow® Water Garden Hose (50 ft) the Best Flexible Lightweight Shrinking Hoses - Lead Free & Drinking Safe! 5/8" : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks like it's going to be a very handy hose. I like the fact that's it's clear and lets in UV rays.

Their web site is: The Best Kink Free Lightweight Garden Hose | Clear Flow™
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #38

I've been using the same fresh water hose for about 10 years. I rinse it out each spring and keep the ends screwed together the rest of the year. But I always run water through the hose to flush it out each time before hooking it up to the trailer. I've never had any problems. But sanitizing with bleach water in the spring doesn't sound like a bad idea!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #39

Quote:
@ troutslayer: I did look at some of the anti bacterial filters, but If I read the info correctly, the filter just prevents bacterial growth inside the filter between uses, not necessarily disinfecting the water. That's why houses get fancy UV filters to kill off the bacteria. If I'm wrong, let me know what type of filter is best.

Thanks
You may be right on that, t2dan. The Water Sentinel leads me to believe otherwise but that could be "marketing". Afterall, it's pretty difficult to see bacteria so who knows if it's being removed.
I did however find some interesting things on storing water in the hose. I think it was on the FEMA site (you know them from the trailers with all the formaldehyde?). They said that if you run water through the hose briefly before each use it will clear most of the bacteria. Also, the bacteria will grow much faster depending on how long the water is stored and if left at higher temperatures...makes sense to me. Also stated was that the hose should be empty when not in use.
So, armed with this new education, I just ordered caps, with vent holes, off the Amazon website for my hose. I think they were Valtera.
Happy Camping and don't eat too many "bacteria(s).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #40

if you want a quality hose that is hard to beat https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote