Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #41

Not that anyone asked...

The filter media is a wonderful environment for bacteria and other living things. If you choose to use a filter be certain to replace it on the recommended schedule. A neglected filter is far more dangerous than helpful.

A bit off topic. Other than the profit margin of the filter suppliers, what is the documented quality improvement of filtered city supplied potable water over unfiltered? (Settling and filtering is used in the process of making potable water.) It seems to me that the vast majority of people in the USA drink unfiltered municipal water. That human population doesn't seem to be decreasing any more than those using filtered water. In fact I would submit that the impoverished unfiltered water consuming masses are likely increasing at a greater rate.

Back to topic.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Not that anyone asked...

The filter media is a wonderful environment for bacteria and other living things. If you choose to use a filter be certain to replace it on the recommended schedule. A neglected filter is far more dangerous than helpful.

A bit off topic. Other than the profit margin of the filter suppliers, what is the documented quality improvement of filtered city supplied potable water over unfiltered? (Settling and filtering is used in the process of making potable water.) It seems to me that the vast majority of people in the USA drink unfiltered municipal water. That human population doesn't seem to be decreasing any more than those using filtered water. In fact I would submit that the impoverished unfiltered water consuming masses are likely increasing at a greater rate.

Back to topic.

vic

That is probably true, IF your campground is connected to a municipal water system. Many campgrounds are on well water, or, water they have to truck in from other sources. Typically the campgrounds we camp at here in the West, are not on municipal systems. While the water is potable, it may have chemicals, minerals or other "things" that effect the taste, the filters do help in these situations. If your camping near towns and your campground is on a city system, I would probably not bother with a filter. To each their own

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote