Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Fridge

Fridge works great on "shore power" but when I switch to propane while travelling fridge gets warm. Whether I leave in AUTO or MAN switch to propane, all indicator lights in front are normal. Bottles are full & I am getting propane to rear of camper. Doesn't do any good to buy groceries before we leave town if I have to pack bags of ice in my fridge to keep it @ a safe temp. I have been fighting this problem since I purchased. Any ideas would be appreciated.
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #2

These units are designed to work while underway, but it could be that yours wont stay lit when travelling. I would take a look at the burner area behind the exterior panel and make sure that the cover is properly in place. Perhaps the wind turbulence is getting to the burner and blowing it out? I would expect this to cause the fridge to display an error or flashing yellow light though.

If you are packing ice to keep things cold, freeze it in a clean milk jug. That way it doesn't leak into the fridge as it melts, and when it does melt you have a nice cold jug of drinking water.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. I never had issues with my pop-up, just this TT. And I agree with you the amber light should flash if that was the case. I know it will flash because it sometimes takes several times to light on start up. Now if I'm in AUTO & not hooked up to shore power the Amber propane light will not illuminate with my battery charged. Great idea about the milk jug, I will definitely try that.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #4

First thing is you probably need to actually verify that the fridge is lit. Pull the outside cover and look inside the chimney. You should see a strong flame coming from the burner tube. Last year mine was partially clogged and the flame was very weak and took forever to cool. I pulled the burner tube and cleaned it out and now it's got a strong blue flame again. Very unlikely the wing is blowing it out unless it's weak and even then you should get the flashing yellow trouble light. You won't get a trouble light if the flame is weak because the flame sensor will still sense flame. If you see a good flame and the fridge still won't cool [which can take up to 8 hours] you have another problem. If it cools on electric it should cool on propane because they both do the same thing.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
First thing is you probably need to actually verify that the fridge is lit. Pull the outside cover and look inside the chimney. You should see a strong flame coming from the burner tube. Last year mine was partially clogged and the flame was very weak and took forever to cool. I pulled the burner tube and cleaned it out and now it's got a strong blue flame again. Very unlikely the wing is blowing it out unless it's weak and even then you should get the flashing yellow trouble light. You won't get a trouble light if the flame is weak because the flame sensor will still sense flame. If you see a good flame and the fridge still won't cool [which can take up to 8 hours] you have another problem. If it cools on electric it should cool on propane because they both do the same thing.
I will definitely check that, makes sense. Do you think it's possible on the road, while the fridge is on propane, it's draining the battery? Does it fire continuously to keep a pilot, using power? Or once it's lit, it's lit? Maybe my truck is not charging battery while driving.

2014 Ford Raptor
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #6
Site Team

It will attempt to light 3 times then shut down if it senses that the thermocouple above the pilot is not heated. It requires very little heat to keep it cool but the pilot light should always be burning when it's on gas, Look at it when you are not moving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote