Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

Fridge question..

A buddy and fellow Jayco owner friend of mine recently had a problem with his fridge and the response he got from the dealer seemed strange. Background behind this is the camper (2012 Eagle 36?? 5th wheel) that's been winterized since this past November. He de-winterized a couple weeks ago when the outside temps were around 5-10*, dropping to around 0* overnight. Turned the fridge on, and although it seemed to come on, the unit never got cold. The next day he called his dealer and when he explained the temps, was told more than likely nothing was wrong, and that it wasn't working because of how cold it was outside. He went back down the following weekend, when the temps were in the 40ies, and his fridge kicked on and has worked fine ever since.
Now obviously the problem was more than likely caused by the frigid temps, but how can these be called "4 season" if the fridge isn't going to work when it gets below 5*? Anything he can do to prevent this from happening in the future? Before we bought our 2014, I camped in our 2012 in below 0* weather and never had this happen.

Thanks,
Jr
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #2

I'm going to speculate on a possibility here. There is water in the circulation system of these absorption refrigerators. Water, ammonia and hydrogen. It could be the water was frozen and could not circulate. However if the refrigerator was already running when the temperature gets that cold the water in the system would never freeze.

The one thing that wasn't stated is did the "chimney" get hot? If it did not my theory will not stand up.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

I would probably contact the manufacturer of the fridge and see what they have to say. Some dealers are very good, but sometimes there are particular quirks that can only be answered by the manufacturer.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

I have other people say the same thing about rv refrigerators.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly pass this on to my buddy so he can follow up.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Was the heat in the trailer on? I'm thinking that it would have kicked in had the temp inside the trailer was above 40.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote