Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #21

Thanks for the input. He told me it tows like a dream. That's without trailer brakes, antisway hitch or equalizer bars. I've expressed my safety concerns to him so the rest is on him. I don't see how a trailblazer can tow better than my old half ton gmc with 373 gears but what do I know. I'm washing my hands of it.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_GMC View Post
Another factor to think about is insurance coverage - IF - you tow overweight and, god forbid, have an accident it's a good bet the insurance adjuster will have the weight specs and deny your coverage for operating out of the Vehicle specifications - towing overweight is just too much risk for me.
^This. (For me anyways) towing our little 165 with our Envoy it seems to struggle in the hills or gettng up to speed for my liking. I hope your friend dosent end up in a panic stop situation or have something in front of him.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #23

I'll say one thing, we will for sure be driving seperate to the campground. I want no part of a breakdown or something allot worse. Don't get me wrong, I think short travels of 20-40 miles will be manageable. Anything else with our hills and I think it's way to much weight.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #24

lsttype, every time I see someone say a combo like that "tows like a dream", it's because they haven't towed anything that was with the right tow vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
^This. (For me anyways) towing our little 165 with our Envoy it seems to struggle in the hills or gettng up to speed for my liking. I hope your friend dosent end up in a panic stop situation or have something in front of him.
There's no reason it shouldn't tow that little trailer like a dream. We towed our old Kiwi 17a with our Trailblazer though the Rockys and it did beautifully.

Have your catalytic convertor checked. Very common on GMT360/380s for it to clog between 80k - 120k miles. I had it happen and when you are towing with a clogged cat the thing can barely get it's own weight up a hill. 90% of these failures are from a bad thermostat, which you may not even know is bad because the temp gauge is a 3 position "dummy" gauge. What's your towing mileage?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #25

I want to say in the 10-12 range (worst case) but not too sure. It will pull it but seems (which may be normal for my combo) when I see a hill or bridge I get it up to a good speed before hitting it cause towards the top I will be likely getting passed by anything behind me. Think of it as I hit the bottom of an average large rolling hill going 55mph, when Im at the top I'd likely be going 40mph. Im not over weighted or anything but think its a combo of the giant square sail Im pulling behind me and my feathering of the gas pedal (I hate to floor it tring to make it up a hill.) We're at 98K on our Envoy it it matters.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #26

That's not terrible mileage. Mine got 12/13 towing our old Kiwi. When the Cat was clogged it got about 6/7. But you should have no trouble on hills. It might drop a gear into 2nd sometimes (and that doesn't hurt a thing, BTW), but for the most part it should easily handle that load. Towing our X20E wasn't that bad either, it just shifted a lot more.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #27

We towed our x20e with our Trailblazer without ant problems. We added a cooling package, braking system and antisway bar.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #28

He told me over the weekend that he wasn't going to add any swaybar or brake controller this year. Doesn't see the need if camping locally. Some people just have to learn for themselves.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #29

If this trailer is equipped with electric brakes, he had best get a brake controller! The TV brakes are not made to stop the GCVR!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 AM   #30

Wow! No brake controller? Where do you guys live? Let us know when he's on the road, I'd like to stay far away from him!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #31

Another very important thing to remember ,is god forbid, you have an accident and you have a smart ins adjuster and he decides to weigh you complete rig, if its over weight guess what your ins does not pay. Larry
Old 04-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #32

Auto insurance pays even if you break the law. Also, there is no law to break. I don't advocate that people should pull more weight than whats designed into the vehicle but we should be making safety arguments and not legal ones. As far as I know there is not a single case that can be cited that supports all the claims that B pillar numbers are somehow legally binding. They are there for your safety and the manufacturers warranty.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Auto insurance pays even if you break the law. Also, there is no law to break. I don't advocate that people should pull more weight than whats designed into the vehicle but we should be making safety arguments and not legal ones. As far as I know there is not a single case that can be cited that supports all the claims that B pillar numbers are somehow legally binding. They are there for your safety and the manufacturers warranty.
That won't stop a civil suit though should there be an injury or death as a result of an accident.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #34

Thinking about this further, without a WDH, would this not be considered a Class II situation with a maximum (by law) trailer weight of 3500 pounds?.

If this menace to life and limb would check his owners manual, he will see what can be towed legally!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
That won't stop a civil suit though should there be an injury or death as a result of an accident.
Nothing will if its your fault.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Nothing will if its your fault.
X2
Nothing can stop a civil lawsuit... even if it ISN'T your fault. It costs very little to sue someone else. There are erroneous lawsuits filed every day in most jurisdictions.

The person suing you would have to PROVE that you were overweight AND that being overweight was the direct cause of the damage AND that you intentionally were unsafe.

By the way, where are all these lawyers that respond to the scene of a wreck with scales and weigh all the debris? By the time a civil attorney is hired and has gotten a subpoena to weigh your rig its been days, weeks or even months since the wreck. Weights that long after the fact are hard to prove. People may have gained or lost weight, gear that was in the truck or trailer could be gone. A roof leak could have allowed water to saturate the building materials of the trailer and increased the weight beyond what it was at the time.

On the other hand, you can be sued even if all your numbers are below spec and you were below the speed limit.

In other words, its all internet hyperbole. Your friend is making a poor decision trying to tow without the correct equipment though. Its pretty unlikely he is involved in a collision and gets sued. It is far more likely that he has a terrible time towing and doesn't enjoy camping as a result. Personally, its not worth it. Camping is supposed to be fun and relaxing. If my drive is terrible and I am scared to death driving, I will be too stressed to enjoy my stay.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #37

First time he needs to dynamite the brakes with the trailer in tow and no brake controller or WDH, he will likely find the trailer buried halfway inside his Trailblazer with the tailgate sitting next to him.

My opinion and worth what you paid for it.

Murff

Old 04-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #38

I think that is way too big of a trailer for that TV. If you need to stop quickly you are going to have issues, if you are in high winds you are going to have issues...its going to work real hard. But I guess you could tow it but I wouldn't and just because you CAN doesnt mean you should.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote