Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 12:57 PM   #21

The fuse did not blow, but the recessed lights still did not work.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Attachment 25749

That's weird, my awning light and the dual lighting switches are reversed. The awning light is on the right.

Do you have a multimeter?
Are you sure there aren't any other blown fuses? As far as I can tell that switch only turns on the upper sink lights and looking in the panel I can't tell which fuses are for them. I'd pull all the fuses and give them a look. Those two lights have to be hooked to a fuse.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #23

I have a multimeter my dad gave me but have no clue how to use it. I will give the other fuses a look. I stopped at the blown one.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #24

Just checked, all other fuses are NOT blown

Old 07-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #25

Glad I read this. While I don't have these issues I do have a serious issue with the way my switches where put in (positioning). I wanted to get into the panel and move them around but was afraid to mess with it. After reading this post and seeing the photos, I'm Much more confident in moving them around. So, sorry I can't offer any insight but thanks for posting those pictures and having this discussion!

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #26

No problem, that's why these forums are great. The unfortunate thing is that most of us have these little nagging issues when we buy the units. Overall I love the trailer, however I have several things that will need to be fixed under warranty. The good thing is that we use it a bunch so hopefully we can work at all the kinks within the 2 years.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #27

You said everything worked before? I would take the bulb out of the awning light and see if that fixes it. Doesn't sound like a miswire issue if it all worked right before. They appear to be wired in series in your pics, so a short in the awning light circuit could cause the kitchen light issue.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
You said everything worked before? I would take the bulb out of the awning light and see if that fixes it. Doesn't sound like a miswire issue if it all worked right before. They appear to be wired in series in your pics, so a short in the awning light circuit could cause the kitchen light issue.
It's an LED awning light, so not sure what I can take out?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
It's an LED awning light, so not sure what I can take out?

Oh, gotcha... any kind of disconnect to unplug? Sounds like a short somewhere and trying to think of a way to easily remove it until you can take it in under warranty...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #30

The fuse quit blowing when he unplugged the awning light so we have that isolated to the led awning light. He has two led lights over the kitchen sink that don't turn on with the switch.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #31

We are camping this weekend. My wife is freaking out thinking we will have an electrical fire. I'm thinking we are safe with that fuse pulled?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #32

As long as the fuse is pulled out there is no power to that awning light circuit. No need to worry about an electrical fire.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #33
BCK

Was away camping this weekend but checking back in on this post I see you are still struggling with your problem.

I eluded to in an earlier post but another place that could be your issue with the awning lights is the relay panel for your wireless remote. It is inside the upper left cabinet above the sink. Look for the wooden panel on the back wall and have a look there as well for any wiring issues. The lights are wired to work either from the switch or the relay.

None of this explains why the cabinet lights don't work and that could be any one of a number of things either related or not to the awning light issue.

I would start by checking the wiring at the relay board; then look at the wiring that comes out the wall to feed the awning light and make sure it hasn't been damaged, if you have a step light under your stairs check the wiring there too; then pull the jumper off from the awning light switch to cabinet lights and try the awning light on its own with the jumper pulled and see if it trips.

You could also try pulling the power for the awning lights and trying the cabinet lights on their own. Not sure what your confidence level is but the further you go the more complex the trouble shooting gets and harder it gets to help remotely. Not the end-of-the world to camp without exterior lights or cabinet lights until you can get warranty help from the dealer.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
Was away camping this weekend but checking back in on this post I see you are still struggling with your problem.

I eluded to in an earlier post but another place that could be your issue with the awning lights is the relay panel for your wireless remote. It is inside the upper left cabinet above the sink. Look for the wooden panel on the back wall and have a look there as well for any wiring issues. The lights are wired to work either from the switch or the relay.

None of this explains why the cabinet lights don't work and that could be any one of a number of things either related or not to the awning light issue.

I would start by checking the wiring at the relay board; then look at the wiring that comes out the wall to feed the awning light and make sure it hasn't been damaged, if you have a step light under your stairs check the wiring there too; then pull the jumper off from the awning light switch to cabinet lights and try the awning light on its own with the jumper pulled and see if it trips.

You could also try pulling the power for the awning lights and trying the cabinet lights on their own. Not sure what your confidence level is but the further you go the more complex the trouble shooting gets and harder it gets to help remotely. Not the end-of-the world to camp without exterior lights or cabinet lights until you can get warranty help from the dealer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1469564008886.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	25825

Everything appears OK in the relay box. Very easy to look at, only two screws holding the box in. I was surprised to see more fuses in here, but good to know. All fuses were not blown in n the relay. On to the outside to check the step light and then all the connections I can see fromnthe outside.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #35

So I finally fixed...the funny thing is I don't know how I did it. I followed the line out the awning light and the main line runs between a metal piece and then to the awning. This wire was crumpled up and not fully inside the metal housing. In pulled it out and reinserted and bam both lights work. I inspected the wires and don't see any signs where it was crimped or broken?

I can only summarize that opening and closing the awning crimped the wire, and the pressure caused the sharp edge of the metal to pierce a small hole you cannot even see.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #36
BCK

Great news that you found it! Happy Camping this weekend!
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #37

Be sure to wrap the area where the pinch was with electrical tape to keep it from happening again!

Old 08-19-2018, 04:39 AM   #38

I thought my electrical problems were over, but Inwas was wrong. I noticed all the lights flickering when I closed the entry door hard. The relay box is contained in the cabinet above the sink. I slammed those cabinet doors hard to see if this was the source, BAM fuse blew. I replaced fuse, and tried to turn the lights on above the sink, BAM fuse blew.

This is a two gang switch which controls two lights above sink and the additional switch controls the rest of the lights inside the main area of the trailer. Not sure where to start, other than pull the panel and see if something is grounding out. If that is not the case and it is the switch, can I order a new one somewhere online? Hopefully it is not the wiring somewhere within the two lights above the sink.