Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

fuse eletric jack

bought 2015 Jayflight 24fbs took on first trip went fine only tripped main once reset switch worked fine . use eletric jack on froint to hookup trailer worked fine . got home and try to use jack blows 30 amp fuse immmediately. took of battery cables put back on white negetave then other 2 positive still blows fuse as soon as press raise or lower jack any ideas? need to get trailer off pickup
Joe Kye Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #2

Use the manual override. It's under the plug or level on top of the jack. The crank should be in the TT somewhere, but if not, don't panic, you can use a socket from your tool set.

If none of that works, pile up some wood under the retracted jack foot and use the jack from your truck. MAKE SURE YOU CHOCK THE TRAILER TIRES FIRST, AND BE VERY CAREFUL, THIS IS VERY UNSTABLE.

As for troubleshooting why it's popping fuses, I'll leave that to the more electronically proficient among us, but my first thought would be bad ground between the jack and the TT frame?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kye Stewart View Post
bought 2015 Jayflight 24fbs took on first trip went fine only tripped main once reset switch worked fine . use eletric jack on froint to hookup trailer worked fine . got home and try to use jack blows 30 amp fuse immmediately. took of battery cables put back on white negetave then other 2 positive still blows fuse as soon as press raise or lower jack any ideas? need to get trailer off pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Use the manual override. It's under the plug or level on top of the jack. The crank should be in the TT somewhere, but if not, don't panic, you can use a socket from your tool set.

If none of that works, pile up some wood under the retracted jack foot and use the jack from your truck. MAKE SURE YOU CHOCK THE TRAILER TIRES FIRST, AND BE VERY CAREFUL, THIS IS VERY UNSTABLE.

As for troubleshooting why it's popping fuses, I'll leave that to the more electronically proficient among us, but my first thought would be bad ground between the jack and the TT frame?
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new trailer.

Not sure if this applies to you, but blowing the fuse has happened to many when they hit the end of the power jack travel. There is no 'limit switch' to shut off the jack. There are several on this site that carry several extra 30 amp fuses because they know it will happen again! And again!

Failing the new fuse solution, like Camper_bob said, first try manually operate the jack with the crank or a socket. If you can't get that to work, CHOCK THE TRAILER TIRES AND VERY CAREFULLY use your truck jack or a bottle jack to raise the trailer off the hitch ball.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
There are several on this site that carry several extra 30 amp fuses because they know it will happen again! And again!
I carry a whole fist full of spare 30A fuses specifically for this. I've never blown one from running the jack too far up or down, but I did blow one because I had forgotten my battery when picking my rig up from storage; one of the battery leads touched the frame and popped that fuse.

Another thought: replace the 30A fuse, and operate the jack manually a couple turns, then try the power function again. If you've gone too far up or down (or for another reason), the jack could be in a bind. This could cause the fuse to blow right away similar to what happens when the jack is at the end of its travel.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Try manually turning the jack as there may be a bad spot on the threads (or motor armature) and could be binding. The other thing is if you raised or lowered the TT without chocks under the wheels, the TT could have shifted and bent the threaded rod/riser tube which will be to much strain on the motor. Yes I bent a tube while in the Rocky Mtns. The TT shifted and bent the tube... had to replace the electric jack $$$.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new trailer.

Not sure if this applies to you, but blowing the fuse has happened to many when they hit the end of the power jack travel. There is no 'limit switch' to shut off the jack. There are several on this site that carry several extra 30 amp fuses because they know it will happen again! And again!

Failing the new fuse solution, like Camper_bob said, first try manually operate the jack with the crank or a socket. If you can't get that to work, CHOCK THE TRAILER TIRES AND VERY CAREFULLY use your truck jack or a bottle jack to raise the trailer off the hitch ball.
x2.. my buddy was "helping me" hook up and ended up going to end of travel and I blew a fuse. Make sure to use blocks under the jack during storage or camping so you do not end up over extending the jack.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

On my last trailer I had an electric jack installed, it was wired direct to the battery...know it could of caused a problem drawing more power etc...never had an issue. I do always use blocks under it, but have raised it to it's max when on an incline.. not recomending going without a fuse, but it does work. Have seen many DIY being hooked up the same way.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #8

Have you tried running a new set of wires to the jack? If not get any 12or 14 ga. braded copper wire from an auto or hardware store. Connect one to the battery and the other to a ground and then take the pair to the jack. If the jack works you will have eliminated the equipment and you will need to look for the short. Good luck
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote