Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #1

Gas Can mounts

Anyone have any pictures of gas can mounts?

I'll be installing a canopy on my truck for our dogs to travel safely in and I don't want gas cans mounted in the pickup bed. A option is a roof rack, however I'm normally carrying a few kayaks on the top and they take up most of the space..

Tow vehicle: 2010 dodge ram 1500
Trailer: Jayflight x213

(not much if any room on the tongue to carry more and I don't want to put them behind me in case they get loose, as I see way too many trailers on the road with wobbly rear racks).

I'm looking to carry two 20 litre (5gallon) Jerry cans. Pics would help as I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks.
BioMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Bio,

You sure don't leave us with room for ideas to help.

OK, I'll try.
What about installing a section of steel-tubing(see illustration below). Maybe a 2" X 4" X (whatever length needed) cross-member, clamped on the trailer "A" frame.
Then, mount 1, or 2 Jerry Gas Can holders onto the cross-member, on each side.

This illustration shows 1(one) holder on each side.

>>>><<<< This Smittybuilt JC hilder is $31.84 at MudFlaps.com.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ, CC, 4X4
2005 Jayco Talon ZX24-E Toy Hauler(SOLD).
2017 Forest River Hyper Lite XLR
Prodigy P2 Brake Control
12K Husky Straight Line WD Hitch
chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #3

Chipper's idea is about the only place I can think of that would work well, given your stated restrictions. Unless you could have a very sturdy cross member with gussets and braces welded on to your rear frame members in place of your rear bumper, so it wouldn't be wobbly, with the cans mounted on it. But then you would need some type of sturdy protection to keep a rear-ender from hitting the tanks. The front tongue mounts would probably be better and more practical, but you would have to guard against tight backup turns where your TV bumper could pivot around and hit the cans. JMHO
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #4

Gas Can mounts

Good idea. I was thinking that would be the only solution (to mount them hanging/attached to the side of the a-frame of the tongue).

Thanks for the link. If I do end up with that, I'll post some pics.

...if anyone else has a suggestion my head hurts from scratching it..
BioMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Being from the JEEP TRAIL days of the 60s we all always like to mount the gas cans around the spare tire mounts. There was all kinds of spare tire mounts available back then.

I use my pickup truck bed today where I also carry my 2KW Honda Generator in the front tail gate area. My truck bed has the heavy duty locking folding hard panels that keep everything safe and out-of-sight in my truck bed. My generator goes where I go and is secured and out-of-sight when not in use.

I don't know how far along you are with your JAYCO X213 and I can see you are wanting to do alot of camping off the power but I would want to use the area between the X213 front diamond plate trim and the Propane tanks to mount a 48-inch truck side bed lockable storage box to house my four each GC2 6V batteries to give me 450AHs battery capacity for camping off the power grids... To me this would have the priority of where to mount the Jeri-cans... To be successful about camping off the power grid you will need to do several mods to your X213 to gain smart mode technology and using inverter etc to be able to operate all of your 120VAC and 12VDC toys you have. I work on the game plan of having my battery banks large enough to do all of these things and then re-charge my battery bank the next morning with a direct connect to my 2KW generator which is secured at the truck bed tail gate area.

You could extend out from the sides of the Battery Box and mount a Jeri can on each side I suppose.

The area on the rear bumper of the X213 below the rear bed slide is another nice looking spot for the spare tire and Jeri-cans but alot of folks are getting awa form mounting anything on the rear of the trailers because of rear end accidents. This is also where you sleep so having jeri-cans under your bed may be a concern also...

I saw you mentioned the KAYAKS. I guess you are wanting to mount them on top of your truck and maybe extend out over the cab area with the mounts... Have seen a few of those that looked great... Going this route might also be a good spot to mount some jeri-cans.

I like how the guys from Australia take on the jeri-cans with their off-road trailers. They have it all built-in real nice

sample photos from google images

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Just remember that cans on the back of an RV become fireballs if you get rear ended.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #7

I see that the Jayco Toy haulers come with a gas pump handle equipped in a side enclosure. It might be worthwhile checking out some of these vehicles just to see how the engineers have designed and attached them. Also something to keep in mind is the possibility and danger of static electricity when it comes to refilling them.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote