Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Gas Grill for TT

Hello! I was reading some threads about converting our 12-yr old Coleman gas grill to be used with our TT quick-connect system. It seems like I may not be able to do this due to non-compatible parts. Right now we do cook in the the TT but like to cook outdoors when we can, the weather is nice, and we're cooking smelly foods like bacon etc. We're tired of hauling around an additional propane tank and think it would be easier to use the TT's quick-connect outdoor hook-up. Seeing as how we might not be able to convert the Coleman, I thought I'd ask everyone what they might suggest in terms of a new grill. Suggestions? THANKS!
EllenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #2

Good news. There are only 2 standards to worry about with propane appliances.

High or low pressure.

High is right off the tank and runs at about 150 PSI @ 68*F.

Low is after the regulator and runs at a fixed setting of 11 inches Water Column (just under 1/2 of one PSI).

If your current grill uses a regulator, you can disconnect it and plumb the hose to the TT's quick disconnect. Using appropriate fittings and sealants.

If your current grill ties directly to a tank and the valve does the function of the regulator, you need a new grill or tap in between the tank and the TT's regulator with a long hose designed for the higher pressure.

It's not hard, but you have to be sure of what you are doing.
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #3

Costco sells a stainless table top grill for a hundred bucks that is small enough for easy storage yet has a fairly large grilling area. I removed the hose and regulator from this grill and now connect it to a quick disconnect on the RV. Had a 15' hose made at a propane store.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenT View Post
Hello! I was reading some threads about converting our 12-yr old Coleman gas grill to be used with our TT quick-connect system. It seems like I may not be able to do this due to non-compatible parts. Right now we do cook in the the TT but like to cook outdoors when we can, the weather is nice, and we're cooking smelly foods like bacon etc. We're tired of hauling around an additional propane tank and think it would be easier to use the TT's quick-connect outdoor hook-up. Seeing as how we might not be able to convert the Coleman, I thought I'd ask everyone what they might suggest in terms of a new grill. Suggestions? THANKS!
You may well be able to connect your Coleman to the quick connect with a few modifications. I think I paid a total of about $20 for the hose and the fittings.
See the Youtube video here that shows you how to do it for an LXE grill. Yours might need slightly different parts.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #5

I have this grill: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Stain.../dp/B00AD945ZO

And then bought this hose: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works perfect.
buddybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybar View Post
That's the same grill my wife wants, she saw it at Sams Club. Glad to hear it's working good for you.
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybar View Post
Got tired of shopping and sent wife to town with money to pick up that grill, gave up on the bumper mount. Just going to buy the hose and sit it on a table.

Thanks for the recommendation.
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
That's the same grill my wife wants, she saw it at Sams Club. Glad to hear it's working good for you.
This is the same grill we have had for 7 years. It is time to replace it but it had a lot of use. We bought it at Costco for $99.00. I had a 15' hose with a quick disconnect made and it is really handy to have the extra length.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote