Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Good day, but a rough day and a question for you at the end.

I picked up my new 26BH today. The walkthrough went very well with one exception. The window sticker said that this unit came with "Backup Camera Prep". I was under the impression that it would have a plate ready and I had every intention of buying an observation camera there.

As it turned out, there was no plate and the unit isn't prepped for a back-up camera. I took it anyway, but I wrote it on the "they owe me" sheet. I'll deal with that later.

After I snapped the tow mirror extensions on I headed home through Memphis, TN. It was rough at first on the interstate. The wind from vehicles, especially trucks made it dance a little, but the drive went well.

I got home, disconnected the weight distribution hitch and started to lower the electric jack. It tried to run and then the fuse blew. I called and they said to replace it and try again. So, I ran to AutoZone, bought some fuses, came home and put another in, which promptly blew. I called again and they said to check the junction box. Good call because I found a wire nut that was loose and two white wires were unattached. Fixed that, put another fuse in and it blew. Finally, I took the handle and tried to lower it manually. It was stuck. I pushed hard and it broke loose. From that point on it worked great. So, note to self: Don't crank the electric jack stand all the way up.

I filled it with water, turned on the A/C and started playing with all the toys. Later I noticed a water drip coming from the low point of the underbelly enclosure. I called and they asked if I overfilled the tank. No, I didn't. I shut the water off at 3/4 full. Evidently there is a water leak somewhere under the camper. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the underbelly cover to expedite drain off and prevent damage, got under it and helped it drain by pushing up on lower areas. It takes about 30 minutes for it to pool up and start dripping again.

I can't take it back this weekend because they're closed. I'll have to take it back the following weekend.

So, does anyone know what's above that underbelly cover? Is it insulation that the water will damage? Should I drain the tanks, or should I just let it drip and not worry about it until I take it back in?
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

Prep usually means it is wired for the camera. As to the water leak obviously your dealer didn't do a proper PDI and fill all the tanks to check for leaks which is what they should do. I have never picked up a unit that didn't have full tanks when I arrived that they drained while we checked the rest of the rig.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #3

I had the same water issue and I live 100 miles from the dealer so I was determined to figure it out on my own. After much frustration I figured out that they never connected the shower drain so water would just run into the underbelly and drip out. It wasn't easy to get to but I got the shower drain screwed on and haven't had a problem since.

I don't know if you have the exact same issue but my guess is you have a similar issue of a connection that was never completed at the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Prep usually means it is wired for the camera. As to the water leak obviously your dealer didn't do a proper PDI and fill all the tanks to check for leaks which is what they should do. I have never picked up a unit that didn't have full tanks when I arrived that they drained while we checked the rest of the rig.
Actually, the tanks were full when we did the walk around. I didn't see any drips under the camper then. I know they were full because it took forever for them to drain. Then I filled them up again.

Maybe something worked loose on the drive home. I'm a real do-it-yourselfer, but I'm a little hesitant to remove the underbelly cover to find the leak. It's just such a hassle to have to drive an hour back there at some point to have it fixed.

As to the observation camera that I'm going to get, I know that I could do that myself.

Still, I can't help wondering if I should drain the tanks to be safe.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #5

Did yours have the enclosed underbelly?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #6

Some have reported the power wires for the camera are behind the center clearance light at the back of the trailer. You will also want to buy some slo-blow fuses for your jack, the standard 30amp will blow more often, and as you learned don't top out the jack which causes a surge in power and blows the fuse
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Some have reported the power wires for the camera are behind the center clearance light at the back of the trailer. You will also want to buy some slo-blow fuses for your jack, the standard 30amp will blow more often, and as you learned don't top out the jack which causes a surge in power and blows the fuse
Yep, I learned that. Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
As it turned out, there was no plate and the unit isn't prepped for a back-up camera. I took it anyway, but I wrote it on the "they owe me" sheet. I'll deal with that later.
I don't think they actually owe you on this. I've read that this is changing in the 2018 model year to include the plate, but in the 2017's the backup camera "prep" is just an extra wire pair pigtail in the back wall of the trailer under the center marker light.
John1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1928 View Post
I don't think they actually owe you on this. I've read that this is changing in the 2018 model year to include the plate, but in the 2017's the backup camera "prep" is just an extra wire pair pigtail in the back wall of the trailer under the center marker light.
I'm sure you're right. I only wrote it down because I was frustrated. When I said I would deal with it later I meant I would install it myself.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Anyway, for better or worse, here it is. I've not posted a pic on this forum before, but I assume it's the same as other forums.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1345.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

I decided I didn't want the 30 gallon propane tanks to be easily removed by an opportunistic thief, so I drilled a hole in the bolt handle, cut a short length of chain and locked it. I should probably buy a new, nicer looking piece of chain......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1347.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #12

Nice camper. If it were me I'd drain the tank instead of letting the water leak drain through the underbelly.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Nice camper. If it were me I'd drain the tank instead of letting the water leak drain through the underbelly.
I thought the same thing, so I drained it yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #14

Johnny, I'm a do it yourself-er too and enjoy fixing, tinkering and upgrading things in my trailer. It doesn't scare me to delve into certain projects on my TT. That said, getting into the underbelly is a whole new ball game. I think if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and take it in for warranty work to repair. The ****ty part is that we are right at the prime of camping season and you may miss out on some good memory making. Tough call but good luck whatever you decide.

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't hesitate to open the underbelly.
It's just held on by screw and washers. Probably the least technical area of the camper.
You'll be much more satisfied with your own fix versus the dealer and you'll know its right.
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to open the underbelly.
It's just held on by screw and washers. Probably the least technical area of the camper.
You'll be much more satisfied with your own fix versus the dealer and you'll know its right.
Doug
That's exactly what I was thinking, Doug. This project can't be anywhere near as difficult as the master bath remodel I did last year, adding walls, moving an A/C vent, porcelain tiles, plumbing.... I even built the vanities.

I'm thinking I'd like to get that thing off and find any sloppy work BEFORE it becomes a major problem.

Sounds like fun. Sort of.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #17

Considering the sag that I see in that covering, I will probably give serious consideration to adding furring strips to attach it to.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #18

I didn't find the leak but I found where it's not. I also picked the wrong side to start. I guessed that the problem would be on the left side of the trailer where the tank drains and the fill opening are. I unattached about 8 feet of the covering just to pull it down and see if I could locate the leak. When I put water in I finally saw a slow trickle coming from the far right side of the trailer.

On my 1206 pop-up, the overflow was on the opposite side of the trailer from the fill. Does anyone know if it's the same on these bigger campers? What else is on the right side, about right under the door that could be the source of the problem? Any ideas?

I'll investigate that tomorrow afternoon. I got the left side put back together. I'll use some Great Stuff and seal all of the holes I removed it from along with four or five others that the manufacturer didn't bother to seal at all.

One other thing: The only thing covering that underbelly is the thin plastic cardboard looking cover. No insulation or anything. If it's just a trickle I don't have anything to worry where leaving water in the tanks is concerned. I still need to find the leak, though. It could be something that could suddenly become much worse.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #19

Dudes on the 26BH line must have lost their nut drivers... this is another thread about leaking tanks.

Mine is going in to the shop next week for them to pull the belly and find where all my water is pissing out of when I start putting water in. I am quite positive it is a loose clamp, like others have found, since it wasn't doing it with full tanks at the dealer, but showed up after the 4.5hr drive home, and is getting worse.

On the jack... Jayco are idiots. I opened my jack cover on the weekend, just to look around, what do I find inside, a circuit breaker! WTF did they go and put a 30A fuse in-line, when the motor is already protected by a circuit breaker?! That fuse holder will be getting removed very soon...

Also, check carefully after driving it through a rain storm for water inside the front bulkhead. Again, on the drive home with my brand new trailer, get home to unhook it, open the storage compartment, and find beads of water running down by the light. It was actually coming from the seam higher up by the bed. Went in to the shop for that right away... they added a bead of sealant to the Pittsburgh joints (overlapping seams) on the aluminum on the nose. Hopefully that fixes it...

Fun times!

Lee
ve7fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7fet View Post
Dudes on the 26BH line must have lost their nut drivers... this is another thread about leaking tanks.

Mine is going in to the shop next week for them to pull the belly and find where all my water is pissing out of when I start putting water in. I am quite positive it is a loose clamp, like others have found, since it wasn't doing it with full tanks at the dealer, but showed up after the 4.5hr drive home, and is getting worse.

On the jack... Jayco are idiots. I opened my jack cover on the weekend, just to look around, what do I find inside, a circuit breaker! WTF did they go and put a 30A fuse in-line, when the motor is already protected by a circuit breaker?! That fuse holder will be getting removed very soon...

Also, check carefully after driving it through a rain storm for water inside the front bulkhead. Again, on the drive home with my brand new trailer, get home to unhook it, open the storage compartment, and find beads of water running down by the light. It was actually coming from the seam higher up by the bed. Went in to the shop for that right away... they added a bead of sealant to the Pittsburgh joints (overlapping seams) on the aluminum on the nose. Hopefully that fixes it...

Fun times!

Lee
Yes, mine was just a loose hose clamp on the jumper hose between the tanks. Easy fix and I did t have to drive back and leave it at the dealer.

Thanks for there heads-up on the seam. I'll take a look and if it looks questionable I'll seal it myself.