Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charolaisbreeder View Post
We had the GS Platinum Roadside Assistance plan (Lifetime GS members) - This covered ALL of our vehicles and the TT. I dropped it when my wife's pickup had a transmission go out. We wanted it towed to a national chain with national warranty that was 38 miles from where the farm is and they refused to tow it there as they found in their computer a private transmission company less then 10 miles away - has a terrible reputation and NO LOCALS WILL USE THAT SHOP! I complained to headquarters and they did nothing but offer to pay for 10 mile tow of the pickup. I had kept roadside assistance with our vehicle insurance and they paid over half the tow bill - MUCH MORE THEN GS OFFERED! When renewal came in it was trashed and all others have been and will continue. We have full insurance on the TT through same company and it also has roadside assistance - I trust my insurance company to help me and they will pay the max if I want it towed to a shop I trust - GS won't!!!
Question for you. Did you write in to Good Sam member relations? I believe that they would not be happy with the experience you had.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:15 AM   #22

By Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Question for you. Did you write in to Good Sam member relations? I believe that they would not be happy with the experience you had.
When having to make fast decision that day I pushed to talk to supervisor at call center (had to hold forever while they "located" one) and then posted this on the Good Sam' s- Contact Marcus website forum. All I got was a request to call another manager. Not important enough for Marcus to even get involved - after being on the phone for close to an hour, was not calling again and wasting my time, I'll admit by then I had the truck towed and paid for and was too mad to talk to more "managers". I told the wife to trash all renewals when she paid the bills!! When I buy for this type of coverage and find out they are going to use country "shade tree shops" (what this one is known as) I don't need to be paying that kind of money - where are they going to take YOUR tow vehicle for fixing on the road traveling. I want my F150 to the nearest Ford dealer so Ford and other dealers will stand behind the work, not some private unknown mechanic shop that has no warranty unless you travel back to their shop and you have no idea if they have proper tools and know how to work on the vehicle. I have since heard of large motor homes being taken to nearest diesel tractor trailer shop that had trouble even figuring out how to get to engine. My recommendation is before buying or renewing GS roadside or any other brand - find out how they decide where to haul you and if YOU have any say in it!!
Charolaisbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #23
Site Team

Sorry you had problems. I have not had the same experience in many calls over the years. Last time they carried my truck on a flat bed to my dealer who was over 20 miles past the closest dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #24

The GS Platinum plan does not tow to YOUR choice…only the closest repair facility. You need Platinum + to get up to 100 miles of your towing choice. I have to renew but am undecided whether to renew AAA or go with GS Platinum +.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #25

I was uncertain whether to go with Good Sams or Coach-net. Made my decision when I was able to add roadside assistance to all my vehicles for less than $20.00 a year by adding to my insurance policy.
NewCamperOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamperOldTimer View Post
I was uncertain whether to go with Good Sams or Coach-net. Made my decision when I was able to add roadside assistance to all my vehicles for less than $20.00 a year by adding to my insurance policy.
Sure hope you never need to find out how it works!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCamperOldTimer View Post
I an as well from my insurance company, however unfortunately they don't cover the costs required when you are towing or have a MH. In addition, there are very strict limits of liability that insurance companies enforce. We have GS Platinum Coverage because the next nearest coverage for RVs does not provide as much coverage that GS Platinum does for RVs. I have on occasion had issue when I called for service i.e. I had to locate my own service provider because we were nearly 100 miles from the nearest city with adequate heavy vehicle service or that was open. I was able to locate a service provider by using my GPS and smart phone. While it would be nice to have phone reps that are really knowledgeable about RVs and the nearest quality service provider to the disablement location I have learned that I need to be proactive and locate a provider myself.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #28

Thanks for the comments. After reading the reviews (both good and bad) on Coach-Net and Good Sam's I just don't believe I can do any worse with my insurance carrier since one company covers everything we own. I was also told I could tow to any shop (within reason), pay the bill and then get reimbursed.

I hope I never have to find out how good the service is, but I've had AAA for the last 15 years and it was only within the last 2 that the service has become unreliable (customer service agents rude and wait time of 2 hours or more), not to mention I am only covered in a handful of states. I will not renew.

Besides at less than $20.00 a year to cover all my vehicles, it is worth the chance that I might be disappointed.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
Site Team

I wasn't being flippant. I would ask my ins. Carrier specifically if they cover towing tv and/or trailer, maybe both.
It costs to much to leave to chance.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #30

norty1 - I didn't think you were flippant. Sometimes hard to tell on message boards but I try to take all comments and suggestions as helpful. Maybe because we have full coverage on the TT, they have said that in the event of a breakdown they would send 2 wreckers if necessary to get us back on the road. We have all of our coverage (home and auto) through one carrier.

We asked about contents on the TT in case of a break-in and were told it was covered through homeowners (I was surprised).

We asked about tow dolly or utility trailer and were told it was covered by the policy on the TV, so by adding roadside assistance to the TV we are covered.

If I could take parts of Good Sams and part of Coach-Net to design what I need, I might consider, but due to their bundling I just don't need or want everything for the price to get what I do want.

AND the roadside assistance doesn't come free, we pay dearly for the insurance coverage before even adding the RA.

Thanks to everyone for their input and IF we have the opportunity to use it, I will post the results.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #31
Site Team

Sounds like you have already got it covered. That's great!
Gator roll-up bed cover