Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #21

I have a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT. I also have an older Nuvi with no updates. The Dezl is truck and RV specific as well as car mode. It lists truck stops and allows for height, restrictions and weight requirements to help me stay off certain roads. I also keep a commercial haulers atlas in my truck and plan the routes ahead of time. There are pluses and minuses to using them and agree that sometimes the route is not on a highway since there could be a short cut through a town or state road. Knowing ahead of time how you want to go helps which is where the atlas comes into play. The trucking atlas lists height restrictions and hazards by state with the corresponding height at each.

What I like the most is when I am on the road I can find a truck stop or large rest area through the options that will allow me access for fueling since I am towing. Also there is an inlet for a backup camera should I want to plug one in. The traffic feature is good and lists all traffic in real time on my route even if it 100 miles + out. This allows me to make changes should I want to well ahead of arriving at the problem.

If you want it just for your RV then the RM units might suit you better on the camping features it offers which are not specific to the Dezl.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #22

Check out the new Garmin RV 760LMT.

Made for RV's. Love the 7 inch screen!

http://sites.garmin.com/rv/

I have one on order.

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 AM   #23

Think of a GPS as a tool, not the final authority. My Garmin Nuvi 1690 will never turn you in a direction that's even slightly moving away from your destination, even if it's an interstate versus a two-track. It will always get you where you want to go, but not always the best route. I use a printed map or atlas in combination with a GPS and find the GPS most useful for finding things once we reach our destination such as pharmacies, shopping areas and the like.