Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

GPS units marketed for RVers...

Hi all,

I've seen a few Garmin units marketed for RVers but have seen mixed reviews about them. Was wondering if any fellow Jayco owners have one and can share their thoughts. I would love one that you can actually program your own route and it would simply keep you on that path. I'm in New York and we have a number of roadways where trailering is not permitted with low bridges and such that would spell disaster if you happened to wander onto them.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #2

We have the Garmin RV 760.

RV GPS | Garmin RV 760LMT

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
We have the Garmin RV 760.

RV GPS | Garmin RV 760LMT

That's the one I have been eyeballing. How do you like it?

StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

The 760 is still available, but it is not a current model.
They've replaced it with the 660, which apparently has a "drag and move" touch screen feature. This was what I wanted a year ago. I emailed Garmin and they said that no GPS had this, and then after I bought the 760, they came out with the 660 a few months later. Grrr.

Apparently you can program the 760 by using basecamp on your home computer and then transferring the route to the GPS, but basecamp is so complicated to learn that I've never done it. Others can speak to that.

We really like some of the features of the 760 such as showing a picture of the actual exits and what lane you should be in. Also showing what gas stations, restaurants, etc are coming up in the next town. What we don't like is the inability to change the route without putting in way points that physically take you off the GPS programmed route. Even when you do that, it tends to put you back on the original route (fastest or shortest) as soon as you reach your waypoint.

Oh, and the 660 is cheaper than the 760, although the screen size is smaller. We've found the large screen size of the 760 a bit too large, especially when the wife holds it while serving as navigator or to change settings or look at upcoming businesses or attractions. It is physically so large that it cannot be comfortably held in a small female hand (which is necessary because you need the other hand free to be able to touch the screen to make changes or seek info).

Here's the link for the 660 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod524447.html
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #5

Garmin now has a download for your computer that will allow you to do just that. I have downloaded it but not used it yet.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Garmin now has a download for your computer that will allow you to do just that. I have downloaded it but not used it yet.
Can you tell me the specific category on Garmin Express where you can do this?
Or provide a link to it? Thanks.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #7

I downloaded the Base Camp software, but my unit does not work with uploaded routes... But, I've been doing a lot of research on my routes so I know what's a head of me when we're out on the road.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

I have the 760lmt and have not programmed on the computer. Putting in size height weight of "rv" (trailer plus tow vehicle) has been good and no issues so far, although haven't driven in an area that has no-trailers roads with it yet. I believe it will do fine for that though.
It is big on a car dash, however it has a great picture and being big is helpful for what we use it for. We are using it as a review mirror essentially. We leave it on camera mode and it really helps for making lane changes.. And of course it's fantastic for backing up into sites
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
That's the one I have been eyeballing. How do you like it?

We have had it going on our 3rd year now. love it. You can use the trip planner to modify the route to however you want. You can also put in your rig specifications, (weight, length and height) and it will consider that on the routes you plan.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
What is the link?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
Old 07-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

I have a nuvi2597LMT and the BaseCamp software. I will grant you there is a learning curve with BaseCamp but it is worth it.

I ALWAYS plan my routes using BaseCamp and transfer them to the nuvi.

You should create waypoints along your planned route to be sure you stay on the right track should your GPS decide to recalculate your route. Without waypoints you create your uploaded route will be replaced by the recalculated route which will likely be nothing like you expected.

One of the things you must do when planning your routes is to zoom in closely and traverse your route carefully and make sure it is exactly as you expect. Failure to do so could mean exiting an interstate only to get back on heading in the opposite direction because the waypoint you created was on the wrong side of the interstate.

Understanding your GPS and its limitations and quirks is key to getting where you want to go efficiently.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #12

A recent Car Talk column in our local paper, discussed using a separate GPS or using Google maps on your smartphone. Ray's take is that you don't have to update the the maps on your smartphone, therefore they made more sense. However, it may not have the pictures, etc. that the Garmin has
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #13

We have the 760 with the optional backup camera. Overall impressions is that it does what it is "good" at what it does but there is definitely room for improvement.

Things I like - Large Screen comes in more handy with the camera than with the maps. Does route you using the most RV friendly routes it can, but with that said, I don't think any nav unit will get that right every single time so we try as best we can to stay on major routes, even if it is a little longer, just to be on the safe side. Displays Lane advisories and upcoming turns well in advance. Does basic traffic info (large metro areas) when approaching areas and adjusts arrival times accordingly. Lifetime map updates. Free basic traffic info in most larger/major cities.

Things that I don't like - Have to do map updates manually via computer and are not frequent enough to catch things like construction detours and such that could be problematic for larger RV's. Voice prompts tend to be either to the point of overkill in the case of turns or not nearly enough or early enough in the case of lane advisories. Basecamp software is more trouble than it's worth for me. I am a 40+ year computer tech and find the Basecamp software frustrating at best. I can see the value for some in all the different options and features of the software but I just don't find it worth the effort for most trips.

Comments - Usually, the DW either has Waze or Google Maps on her phone/tablet running as well, especially when we approach major cities/intersections just to validate what we are seeing/hearing from the 760 and/or I need the camera displayed for lane changes, etc. We also research our "intended" route in advance for things that could be problematic (construction, low bridges, narrow roads, detours, etc.) and plan our routes accordingly because there is no way that the current map updating process could catch everything like that.

Camera - I am not sure I am keeping this long term yet, so haven't mounted it permanently to date. Although it is prone to intermittent drop outs (signal interference), it works well enough to not simply throw it out the window! So for right now, I simply clip the camera to the rear window valance using a couple of heavy metal black office clips and stick the transmitter with double sided foam tape inside my front pass thru where it is wired into a trailer running light. I use the 50' extension cable to connect the two. Then, to have the display show the camera out the rear window for lane changes and such, I simply turn on the running lights in the truck. To go back to the camera, just turn them off. Works surprisingly well. Only downside to this obviously is the loss of some detail from the camera because I am looking thru a window and a screen. It works more than well enough to do what I need it to and should I choose to go a different direction, I haven't put any unnecessary holes in the trailer or made other modifications that will be no longer needed.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Just bought RV760. Used it on two recent trips totalling close to 1000 miles. No complaints except the destination address voice recognition is pretty bad. "100 E Main Street" might come back as "6354 Meridian Ave" or something waaay off like that. The voice recognition for volume and brightness is very handy though (since on an R V the gps is frequently harder to reach) and is pretty accurate.

Entered an RV length of 40' and it did a great job of keeping us on major roadways compared to our TomTom which used smaller residential-ish roads a lot.

I really like the speed limit change chime. Lets you know that s speed limit change is coming. Im bad about missing those while looking at other things.

Map updates take FOREVER to download (we have very fast internet so it is not that).

Looked at the 660 but the reviews on Amazon were not great.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #15

[QUOTE=tnchuck100;426953]I have a nuvi2597LMT and the BaseCamp software. I will grant you there is a learning curve with BaseCamp but it is worth it.

I just downloaded Basecamp and I can't find where to set up the RV specs like height, etc.

Can you help me?

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #16

Edit --> Options --> Activity Profile --> RV --> Routing --> (Feature Type Avoidances and RV Attributes)

I'm not sure if you create a route in Basecamp and transfer it to your GPS that the RV restrictions will transfer over properly.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Edit --> Options --> Activity Profile --> RV --> Routing --> (Feature Type Avoidances and RV Attributes)

I'm not sure if you create a route in Basecamp and transfer it to your GPS that the RV restrictions will transfer over properly.
From personal experience, they do transfer appropriately. That said, I triple checked them to be sure they were correct.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #18

If you traverse your planned route carefully and make those waypoints at critical locations the transfer of those options/restrictions won't matter.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post

Thank you. I can get all the way to feature type avoidances, but I don't see the RV attributes area.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #20

Hmmm. The RV restrictions may only be available on Basecamp maps that were installed through a GPS that has those capabilities; maybe your GPS doesn't do that?

At any rate, this Basecamp Forum (clicky) has helped me; the moderator of this forum usually answers, and seems to really know the answers.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote