Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Greyhawk newbie electrical/inverter questions.

Hi all,

We have a 2014 Greyhawk 31FS, and took it out for a quick day trip last Saturday just to get some hands-on with everything before our first real trip (coming up on Friday).

I noticed that the outlets weren't working while we were en route, and the inverter was showing zero output. The manual said to check the GFCI. On the road, I looked at the one in the bathroom but couldn't really get an audible click from either the test or reset buttons. My husband said he thought there was another GFCI in a compartment underneath, but we got busy and forgot to take a look after we parked and set up. I'll check that out later today. We were connected to shore power while parked and of course the outlets did work, but we noticed that our cell phones were charging at a snail's pace - is this normal?

The next item on my to do list is to buy a tea kettle. I had assumed I'd buy a small electric one so that we could avoid using the propane, but now I'm wondering if an electric kettle will take all morning to heat the water! Please forgive me if I sound a bit dense! I'm just starting to learn how the electrical systems work and definitely don't know much yet!

Thanks!
lovliefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #2

Lovliefam,

The inverter usually only powers the outlet that the TV is plugged into (not all of them). Furthermore, that outlet is typically disabled while driving.

Try the TV outlet when disconnected from shore power but have not started the engine yet.

Once you plug into shore power, you have the full power that you would have at home, except limited to 30A, so I see no reason why your phones should charge slower.

Hope this helps,
Kris
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

The inverter in the 2014 Greyhawk is a 1000 watt unit that has been de-rated because Jayco used undersized wire from the inverter to the battery. The inverter is connected to a single outlet that the tv is connected to in the front bunk. The outlet itself is disabled when the ignition is on. This can be changed by modifying the outlet to cut the ignition sense wire. The reason Jayco disables the outlet to prevent the driver from watching TV while in motion. We leave the bed down in the front so it is impossible to see the TV from the drivers seat to keep us legal. Our Jayco dealer modified the outlet to provide continuous power. If you want to use the full 1000 watts from the inverter you will need to either upgrade the wiring to the inverter or install a second battery next to the inverter. The inverter automatically switches from shore power to inverter or generator power.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #4

x2 on msturtz statement. We have a FK model and our TV is in a cabinet and behind it is the only "hot" inverter outlet. We power the TV, a blueray or xbox 360 and a laptop with our inverter with zero problems. We cut the ignition wire, of course. The wire was white on our rig, I've heard it's purple on others.
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

X3. Will add a couple of things. There isn't much slack in those wires if you pull the electrical box to work through there. Plus don't forget it's hot through the inverter even if power is off. You could just cut the red wire....but in the very unlikely question of if you disabled this safety feature there is an obviously cut wire. So if you pull the wood bottom off that panel all the wires go into, you can find where the red wire is connected to a purple wire. Pull the disconnect, trim the ends where the disconnect bit into them so it isn't obvious, and voila. Inverter, 12 volt TV for the kids while on the road. On another site I saw where someone said it would disable the auto steps, mine didn't this way. I think that's if you find and pull the fuse. One other thing I did was drill a 1 1/2 inch hole through to the cabinet above the table to run the cable switch box into there. Not much room in the area above the TV. Be a bit careful as there are wires just inside the cabinet above the table, though. (False side inside the cabinet).
FishNFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Msturtz, where was the inverter actually located in your 31FS?
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Msturtz, where was the inverter actually located in your 31FS?
Under the bed in the master bedroom. You need to remove the screws under the bed and lift the panel off. The inverter is screwed to the floor.
New setup:
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #8

Thank you! Man I get that you use the space you have, but clearly the electrical guys had no say in the design of that system... That is a long run from the battery to the Inverter and then an even longer one to the TV.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Thank you! Man I get that you use the space you have, but clearly the electrical guys had no say in the design of that system... That is a long run from the battery to the Inverter and then an even longer one to the TV.
We had major issues with voltage drop with our unit. I ended up paying for an additional battery under the bed (AGM legal for inside the coach) and Jayco paid for additional wiring. The installed a 1,000 watt inverter but used wiring for a 400 watt inverter.
New setup:
Old 05-04-2015, 01:22 AM   #10

Maybe someone can help me with some inverter questions. I have a '12 Greyhawk 31SS. The inverter is located behind a panel at the foot of the bed, at least I think that is what is under that panel, along with some circuit breakers and fuses. My questions:
1. Most camping I do, is connected to shore power. I frequently hear the fan running near the foot of the bed. Is that normal? and should I be concerned about that?
2. There is a control panel located inside the key box near the front door. (Will try to attach a picture). There is a green button that when pushed will lite the "status" light, and will lite the Input Voltage (V) light and will display battery voltage of 13.75. The gray "select" button under the green button does not seem to do anything. I have only tried this when I am connected to shore power, maybe it behaves differently if I am not connected? Normally I just leave that in the "off" position and do not worry about it.
3. I have read there are two outlets that will get 110V power thru the inverter if not connected to shore power. Does anyone know if this is true? and if so which outlets those are?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	17928
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
We had major issues with voltage drop with our unit. I ended up paying for an additional battery under the bed (AGM legal for inside the coach) and Jayco paid for additional wiring. The installed a 1,000 watt inverter but used wiring for a 400 watt inverter.
Do you have a pic of the under bed battery set up?
Sounds like the way to go.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote