Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #1

Grim reminder

This past Sunday I was driving, travel trailer in tow heading north on I75 not too far north of the Florida - Georgia state line. We hit a little bit of traffic as I spotted some thick black smoke about 1/2 mile ahead. As we drove by there was a motor home engulfed in flames on the side of the road. Emergency vehicles were already on site trying to put the fire out. The whole mid to back end of the motor home and the front of what appeared to be a Jeep Cherokee tow vehicle were engulfed in flames. It looked like the driver was off on the side wearing an oxygen mask while being tended to by paramedics.

I've read the numerous debates online but felt better about when we were packing the RV to leave and my wife asked if we were going to turn on the refrigerator, I said no let's turn off the gas while traveling. Not sure what started this fire but we did have a neighbor that lives 5 houses down the street from us lose their class A motor home a few months ago to a faulty appliance while parked outside their house one night while preparing for a trip. Luckily the house did not catch on fire as that one burned down until pretty much the frame was left. They do go quickly once a fire starts.

Events like this have converted me to shutting off the propane as I travel. It also reminds me to test the smoke detector at the beginning of every trip.

I hope the occupants all got out ok. The RV is replaceable.
Logan0171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Team

It is a terrible thing to see a rv on fire. I have seen them also and always wondered what started it. I don't think I would get to drastic without doing some checking on the actual cause.

I venture most rv's you see on the road and all MH's have their fridges in operation. I know many who even run the furnace at times while underway. They are designed to work that way.

If you are concerned without cause, taking action would be the prudent thing to do for you. There is much to read on the subject.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #3

We have to park our TT on the street the night before we leave for a trip and have the fridge on propane - can't get close to our townhouse to hook up electric. And we always have it on propane underway. If everything is kept in good working order, I would say it is rare to have a problem... Like Norty said, they are designed to work that way.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

According to "Fire Safety by Mac McCoy"....

"Diesel pushers catch fire more often than other RVs. A tiny pinhole leak can cause a fire that may not be spotted quickly". Because of the distance from the cockpit to the engine compartment, and the restricted airflow to the diesel pusher, there can be a fire in the engine compartment before the occupants are aware of it.

When the engine is sitting in front of you, overheating and smoke are obvious very quickly.

Modern RV gas refrigerators are designed to be used while in motion, and have multiple safety devices engineered in (overheat shutdown, high gas volume shutdown, propane tank high-pressure relief valves, etc.) .

Most of us feel that using a device as designed is a safe and prudent thing to do.

JMHO
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

All of the ppl that I know that have RV's travel with the gas fridge in operation. They are designed to be used that way.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

I'd rather it catch fire on the road while I am awake than at night when I am asleep. You run your propane fridge at night if you don't have hookups, don't you? Its kinda the same conditions at night time at the campground or during the day on the road...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
Wyn

I have read that diesel pushers are more prone to catch fire due to the lack of cooling air getting to the engine resulting in extremely hot conditions in the engine bay.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
I have read that diesel pushers are more prone to catch fire due to the lack of cooling air getting to the engine resulting in extremely hot conditions in the engine bay.
The only live RV fire I've seen on the road was a diesel pusher, with a fire in the rear. Can't say for a fact that they are more fire-prone, but that's my story.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

I have found that I keep a few ice packs in my freezer and before leaving, simply put some in the frig section and leave my ice container in the freezer. It's been "off" for 6-7 hrs and things are still frozen/cold. So my question is why leave it on? I don't have to worry about turning it off to gas up or to go through a tunnel. One less thing to think about. (I'm not a ten hr on the road person but if I were, I'd just turn it on when I stop for lunch)
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #10

Propane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
I have found that I keep a few ice packs in my freezer and before leaving, simply put some in the frig section and leave my ice container in the freezer. It's been "off" for 6-7 hrs and things are still frozen/cold. So my question is why leave it on? I don't have to worry about turning it off to gas up or to go through a tunnel. One less thing to think about. (I'm not a ten hr on the road person but if I were, I'd just turn it on when I stop for lunch)
It's not the open flame that's not allowed in specific tunnels, it's any vehicle carrying propane. Before we got the Garmin RV GPS, we had to make some "back up and go around" detours where propane wasn't allowed... now the Garmin alerts us if there are propane restrictions on our proposed route.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

A number of years ago, I was getting ready to roll my truck and trailer onto the Cape May - Lewe's Ferry, and an attendant, when didn't yet look old enough to shave, made a big deal about turning off my propane tank (shutting of my fridge) because "Those propane refrigerators are dangerous!". Before he was even half done with the next vehicle behind me, another, CLEARLY more seasoned attendant turned my propane back on, and told me to make sure that the fridge pilot started properly, because the "new kid" knew the book, but didn't know real life!

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #12

Diesel engines can sometimes have an issue called "runaway". It is were the engine draws fuel from an unintended source over revs the engine and causes mechanical failure. It is rare but does happen. Take a look at a runaway diesel video on YouTube, it is wild to watch.
Morsa1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #13

I never run with gas flowing. I put everything in coolers and unload into the fridge when I get set up.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #14

I've traveled the last few trips with my gas on and the fridge up and running. That is how it was designed to function. I do however pull over and turn off my gas when I fuel up. But once full I will pull out and turn everything back on.

It could be the military in me, but I usually give this about as much thought as getting into a major accident on my trip. Is it possible something could go wrong? Sure, but not likely.

Best advice I could give is to just take your time and enjoy the ride.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch w/Sway Control
jsims is offline   Reply With Quote