Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #1

Hauling Firewood

I've looked in the forums but couldn't find a good answer so here is the question.

TT is 4700 # dry, We use water from the parks so fresh water tank will be empty. I will give myself 1000# leeway on supplies, etc.

Yukon is rated at around 7500# capacity so I should be under by around 2000#. Of course we have WDH and Sway bars..

95% of travel is flat roads and within 100 miles of the homestead...

We always have a tough time finding firewood and usually bring our own. Can't put any in the SUV as the back is the designated dog area. I figured I could evenly distribute the weight between the front and back outside storage areas (along with our regular gear). I would also put the wood into storage bins that are locked down as to not have any major shifting of the load..

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions???

Thanks

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
snip......... Opinions, thoughts, suggestions??? Thanks
IMO it's doable, but I would confirm your loaded weights at a CAT scale........., thus avoiding the weight distribution guess work. The CAT scale data will also confirm your WDH sizing/adjustments as well based on your particular loading habits.

CAT scale how-to: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Just thinking out loud .......,

The 2013 264BH has a GVWR of 6,500lbs, so I will assume your stated 4,700lbs DRY is the ship weight from the yellow sticker, since the published UVW is 4,325lbs. Your loaded TT weight would be 5,700lbs (using your 1,000lb cargo figure), thus a recommended tongue weight of 741lbs to 855lbs (13% to15%). Worst case scenario loaded at GVWR 6,500lbs, tongue weight recommendation would be 845lbs to 975lbs. Again, the CAT scale will confirm your load weight conditions.

Also, something TV manufactures don't tell us.., your TV's actual Tow Rating will be less then 7,500lbs: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...uot-Tow-Rating

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

Good numbers, calculations and advice Bob.. Thanks... As a new TT owner I am trying to take everything in and trying to be as safe as possible with everything.

It seems like I will be within tolerances on TT weight, tongue weight, etc.. I'm pretty much a "get in the right hand lane and drive at or below speed limit with about 1 mile between me and the guy out front" person. I just don't want to do anything that would or could put my family in danger. We have a weight station about 15 miles away from here so that is a doable solution. I may just "load er up" before our first trip out and head to the scales since they are so close.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, a visit to the the CAT scale will provide an added level of towing confidence..., especially when towing in less then ideal conditions (wind, rain, etc.).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #5

I am not going to talk about weight. I am going to talk about transporting firewood. DONT DO IT!!!! Most areas now have laws against transporting firewood. This has become a major way that destructive pests move from one area to another. PLEASE buy your wood locally or use a propane fire pit. I have seen too many forests killed by induced species.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

Assuming you aren't talking about a weeks supply of firewood, the issue is really not an issue at all. Remember that seasoned wood is lighter than green and burns a whole lot better. Spread it out and put it where ever it fits. Not going to have a problem with a short tow like you are describing. Keep in mind that most states have restrictions on transporting firewood from out of state or more than 25 miles in some places because of various insect infestations. I tend to pack enough firewood for a couple of good fires so space and weight are not an issue. As for the import restrictions, its interesting that most rules say don't bring it BUT if you do, burn it all before you leave.

Another suggestion: If you're going to a site for a couple of weeks, I have on occasion sought out a source for fireword by the pickup load. Check the boards at gas and convience stores near the CG. In most areas there are people who sell firewood to homeowners and seasonal cabins. A rick can usually been had for less than $50 and have it delivered right to your site. You can make a lot of friends quick when that truck pulls up and unloads more wood than the CG host has for sale. I like to scrounge firewood as we drive the backroads of N forest areas etc, but there is something to be said for a delivery of split, seasoned wood right to your site for next to nothing compared to buying it by the bundle.

Happy camping!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Here in Texas we do not have any laws or regulations about transporting our own firewood, so that isn't an issue. We are veteran tent and popup campers so no issues there as well. We usually only go out 2 - 3 days at a time. We always leave any leftover wood at the site for the next visitors to have. Texas state parks do not allow for any "gathering" of park wood so we have to bring our own in. You are right in the fact that there are local suppliers and sometimes even the park stores sell ricks. We have had to purchase when we ran out.. Biggest % of time we head out Friday after kids get out of school, etc. by the time we get to camp and setup, etc. It is dark and after-hours for most places that sell wood so I make sure and at least have enough for that nights fire and possibly the next morning as well.

We ALWAYS bring a bag of self lighting charcoal with us. Pour about 1/4 bag in fire ring, place seasoned wood on top and you never have a problem getting a fire going.. Never....

I kinda figured that there wouldn't be a huge problem with loading firewood in the trailer, but then I have been surprised already about other things and I don't even pick my TT up until the 11th of January. Thank heavens I am an Amazon Prime member.. UPS drivers are starting to call me by name...

Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Team

Yes the transporting firewood laws vary by state, even by county.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I am not going to talk about weight. I am going to talk about transporting firewood. DONT DO IT!!!! Most areas now have laws against transporting firewood. This has become a major way that destructive pests move from one area to another. PLEASE buy your wood locally or use a propane fire pit. I have seen too many forests killed by induced species.
Illegal in Indiana due to the Emerald Ash borer, among others.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #10

It's not legal in most of the state parks in NC but most people do bring fire wood as there seems to be zero enforcement of the law. What I have noticed is that for those that purchase fire wood and then transport it, they are spending more on fire wood than those that purchase it at the park. If you cut your own wood then you might save but hauling it any distance will increase it's cost beyond any possible savings. Fill your truck with wood and drive it a week back and forth to work and see if I am wrong here.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #11

Honestly I don't see the cost difference between purchasing local or hauling it 1 way being a factor. To me personally it is the inconvenience of having to try and locate wood once you get setup... But then in my situation we only travel local (100 miles or less) and only stay for a few days.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #12

I do not put firewood inside my TT, but the weight is no different than when I haul a lot of excess stuff. When I carry stuff on the TT floor, I look at the weight distribution and spread it out. So I will put some in the far back, try to put the majority over the axles and put some in the front (10-15% more than in the far back). Has worked for me. I also look at how to keep stuff from sliding. My floor is linoleum, in general I have not had issues with any type of sliding. But if you did, you could get some of that “stuff” used under rugs to keep them from moving on hardwood floors.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Illegal in Indiana due to the Emerald Ash borer, among others.
You can bring your own wood from within the state, the bark just has to be removed. Removing the bark is a piece of cake, falls right off when the wood is split. My issue with buying at the park is it's tiny pieces, wet, and doesn't burn well. When we did buy wood at the campground I have used half a bottle of charcoal lighter fluid and the sunday paper and still couldn't it get to burn. Paying between 5-9 bucks for a small bundle of wet kindling isn't my idea of a good value.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenoble99 View Post
snip.... Paying between 5-9 bucks for a small bundle of wet kindling isn't my idea of a good value.

I agree. They charge about 5 bucks here for very a small bundle but it is usually dry here. So small and dry a bundle only lasts a very short time. It would take 75.00 worth of wood to have a decent evening`s fire when its cold at those prices. I prefer to bring my own wood when the park rules allow.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Site Team

I would bring my own if possible. We find bundles a little cheaper at a gro store or local supplier may sell a small supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
I hate the devastation our forests have undergone from invasive species too...however I haul my own firewood that I cut from my own land and don't plan to stop. If the powers that be are serious about preventing invasive species spread they need to focus on the real cause -- not campers and firewood.

Emerald Ash Borer found its way to North America via shipping crates and pallets aboard container ships from Asia and Russia. These same ships still enter North America with the same crates and pallets made of the same materials and none of which are kiln dried or treated and easily could harbor those pests and more. But it doesn't stop there, that same shipping material is put on trucks and driven coast to coast, then reused and shipped again, and again, and again. This should be a much bigger concern then the cord of red oak I burn while camping each year.

Secondly, another major concern for pest spread is dimensional lumber shipments. Most of which originates in Canada and is openly shipped to various points south via ship, rail, and trucks. Again this wood isn't treated or kiln dried and easily could harbor pests native and controlled in one habitat but ruthless in another.

In California, and now spreading outward, our major issue is "Sudden Oak Death". This is fungus that kills a variety of tree types but is particularly deadly to our various Oak trees. The original North America detection of Sudden Oak Death was in Santa Cruz area and found on rhodendrums in growing nurseries. It was mostly contained between 2001-2004 until over 1 million rhodendrums where inadvertantly shipped across the western US. Now it is a real problem is the spread to the wild forest and that has been attributed to mainly to mountain bikers and to a lesser degree hikers.

If you can't tell I seriously looked into this over the past couple years. Although California doesn't have an official ban on firewood travel, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to restrict myself. But then I realized campers and firewood have little to nothing to do with the problem, and even worse the identified initial causes have yet to be addressed. What I see is campers don’t have a lobbying group in government and therefore became a target that the beuaracrats could focus on that made them feel they were doing something when actually they are doing nothing. Therefore I am continuing to haul firewood, not be extorted for $7 bundles that contain 5 pieces of questionable wood, and I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it. Nor do I think I am perpetuating the spread of an invasive species.

OP – When we towed with a SUV we had 2 larger Rubber Made containers that positioned inside the TT right over the axel and filled them with wood. Packed full 2 containers would provide enough wood for 3-4 nice fires. Having the weight over the axel had limited effect of the TW weight. This worked well for us.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 01-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #17

Thanks again everyone for your posts. It was quite interesting though (and informative) as to different state and country's laws in regards to transporting wood. I try to approach things with common sense, and hauling firewood seemed like a pretty simple thing... Weight distribution... But hey.. Who knows when your new to all of this.. There could have been some temporal time warp vortex thing going on that sucks your TT into Neverland when hauling firewood on the 5th of the month with a half moon and not enough alcohol in the cooler...

Just sayin.....

Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Site Team

And we found some cg's that won't let you bring it in because they want you to but theirs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #19

Most of the places we go to here on the east side of the USA has posted firewood restrictions. I always pack in at least my first fire requirements so that if we are late getting in I can make my first fire. I always bring along my portable metal fire pit and can place at least four medium size logs under the upside down bowl I carry on the front deck of my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper.

I was caught one time bringing in my own firewood and was told to immediately burn all of them.

Even here on the East side of the USA you can really see what is happening to the forest at the highest levels. Smoky Mtns is good example.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #20

Fly fishing is a lifelong hobby of mine. Many years ago fly fishermen began to see rock snot (scientific term goes here) showing up in more and more streams. It’s the stuff that makes it impossible to walk on stream rocks. If you know much about wading trout streams then you know to use felt bottom shoes, or expect to get wet because you can’t stand up on rock snot without felt. However (it was discovered) felt keeps the rock snot alive and takes it from stream to stream. So many places made a rule, no felt shoes. So everyone ignored the rule and now there is no reason for the rule as rock snot is in all streams where fishing is allowed. (that’s a key to all this).

I see it this way:
We could have all been forced to follow the rules, but that seems expensive to have shoe police at every trout stream. Or we can expect, as happened, that a very few streams would never be waded again because we can’t follow the rules.

Apply as necessary.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
Closed Thread