Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Heading out in the rain this weekend

We reserved a spot a month ago at this really cool park but now we are forecast to get record breaking rain and flooding. But since we can't get a refund so close, we're still going to go. The campground said they didn't flood out last time like everyone else earlier this year. They are out of the river flood plain and a bit on a hill.

It should be interesting how bad the cabin fever gets in our little 184BH with 4 of us. Thanks to folks on here I already purchased a surge protector thingy for the power box. Went all out and got the self resetting one. There will be some pretty intense thunderstorms, so I'm glad I have it. I just wish I had the covers for the roof vents installed. But this should be a good test of everything. If all fails we're only a 1 1/2 hour drive from home. Wish us luck!
rangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Wow..good luck! Bring plenty of games!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #3

And to protect you (especially if you have to walk the dog)? It is well worth investing in some durable ponchos; as goofy as they appear, during deluges we always get compliments on our Swiss army surplus gear! Fits ALL sizes of adults, however as the DW, I need to wear a duckbill cap to hold the hood in place.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #4

Since it's close to home you probably already know the answer, but look for museums, local historical societies, and other indoor tourist attractions. Often many of these are free. We aren't above going to see a movie and getting a pizza afterward either. We can always find things to do.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

What park? I'm from the San Antonio area as well; always looking for a new place to visit!

Good luck this weekend! Hopefully the worst will be over Friday night. I'm not complaining about it though, we sure do NEED the rain!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
What park? I'm from the San Antonio area as well; always looking for a new place to visit!

Good luck this weekend! Hopefully the worst will be over Friday night. I'm not complaining about it though, we sure do NEED the rain!!
Jellystone. It is supposed to be a special Halloween weekend with "camper treating", campsite decorations, activities, etc that should be fun for the kids. I'm afraid most of it won't happen though, so the cost for going to that place is kind of wasted.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:42 AM   #7

If you are talking about the Jellystone Park Hill Country near Canyon lake -my family and I were there the weekend of the 9-12 Oct. The Halloween activities were fun the for the kids. If it rains I don't know what the park will do for the activities.

We enjoyed the park for many reasons but not for their TT sites. The sites are very close together. Our picnic table was right outside our TT door and it was right next to the TT next to us and their sewer drain.

Have fun/make fun
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

My son is too young for that yet but I look forward to camping on Halloween some day. Stinks about the weather, I hope you have a safe trip and make some memories anyway.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

We are headed out despite rain in the forecast as well. Going to Martin Dies Jr State park. A tree limb fell on our neighbors camper last time we were there during a storm, thankfully nobody was hurt. The fear of that happening again almost kept me away, but honestly, I just want to get away so we are going anyway!!
ctrom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

We camped at a Jellystone close to us here in NC over an Easter Weekend that was a total rainout. The park was great and moved everything that they could inside. The park was very accommodating.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

How U guys doing? ?? N Tx has had lots of rain 5" n counting. Stay dry n enjoy the rain.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch N Go View Post
How U guys doing? ?? N Tx has had lots of rain 5" n counting. Stay dry n enjoy the rain.
I have an aunt-in-law who lives in DFW area; her recorded rainfall amount over the weekend was 10".

We fared much better here in S. Central TX. It could have been A LOT worse. We got plenty of rain, but we desperately needed it. Glad we didn't get it as fast as they said we would.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #13

Well, we survived everything just fine. The rain wasn't as bad as forecasted, at least it wasn't thunderstorms, I should say. We were able to get setup Friday before dark and during a long break in the rain, so that was nice. It rained most of the night through Sunday morning but it wasn't terrible, just a steady rain. Luckily, the wind wasn't bad so we were able to keep the awning out and have an area to grill and hang out.

The park did most of the activities inside. But the big pool park, bouncing pillow and a few things like that were closed. The kids still had a blast with the other activities and Halloween related events. My daughter won 3rd place in her age group for her costume, so she was elated. My son got to play video games, so he was happy. Got the mandatory pictures with the bears as well.

The sites are definitely close together. I picked an end unit just for that reason so it felt like we were alone. Plus, very few people were outside and it looked like half the reservations didn't show up. We'll probably go back once a year, but it isn't a place for parents to relax. It also costs more than a normal camp ground. I felt like we are at an amusement park, keeping the kids entertained.

The best thing is that I didn't find any leaks, which the front window of the 184bh is known for. That was my number one concern with so much rain. I did find a problem with my pilot light going out. So, thanks to the forum, I started off small with just cleaning off the sensor. I also discovered the door was not sealing properly which is now fixed. I think the main flame is blowing out the pilot, but we'll see if these fixes work. If not, I'll make an adjustment to the flame or just get a new pilot assembly. It's only a few screws to replace.