Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Heat Help

I am working the oil fields in South Texas and living in my 2013 361REQS full time. The rv is in a pretty open area and gets beat by the sun all day long. I understand that it is an rv and not a home but I am trying to make it as efficient as I can to keep the heat out and the cool in. Th temperature during the day average is about 103 deg. When I get home in the afternoon the inside temp. is about 83 deg. and the a/c units dont ever turn off. I have cleaned the coils both inside and out. I also noticed that under the stairs there is a wooden type vent. I looked into the vents an saw the wiring harness that I would access from the basement. Went into the basement and checked with an ir gun and the air was 79 deg. coming through there when it was 99 outside so I packed that and the opening under the sink which also goes directly into the basement with insulation.
I was wondering if anyone new of anything I can put on the roof temporarily to help with the heat. I purchased a roll of radiant heat barrier to put on some of the large windows. Does any have any other ideas. Add a 3rd a/c?
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

I'm not sure I can help much with the heat other than what you have already done. I am a little concerned that you blocked off that vent with insulation. Is your converter behind that vent?
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

How about a Temporary RV shelter, aluminum poles and a custom tarp, to give you shade?
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #4

You could cover the windows with some kind of insulating material. I've seen RV's with aluminum bubble wrap taped over the outside of windows.

For my TT I cut out pieces of hard styrofoam insulation board to fit tightly inside the windows. Used them mainly in the winter to keep heat in, but I use one now in a window that gets direct afternoon sunshine to keep the heat out (aluminum surface facing outward, toward the sun). It makes a big difference keeping the interior cooler.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Have you covered your vents and skylights? I haven't found a blind yet for the skylights, but have used a vent cover in our bedroom to 1) help with the heat and 2) keep it darker in the early a.m. hours. This does help a little. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-Su...=rv+vent+cover

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Didn't think of covering the skylight in the bathroom. Covered that up with some of that radiant bubble stuff on the roof and that made a major difference that you could feel immediately. I think I will put that around all the windows as well since already bought a 25' roll
I could not find my converter yesterday when I covered that area up but I think I need to locate it because it could possibly get pretty warm if its in the area that I insulated.
I think I am going to see about putting some type of cover over the top temporarily. That should rally help also.
Thanks for all of the suggestions
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

I have the same problem at our seasonal site. No shade and pretty much both AC units run all day as well.
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote