Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

Help needed with freezing temps

This is my first TT and since we had such gorgeous weather this past weekend (70 degrees) I dewinterized and took it to the lake.

The temps are going to drop into the low 20s tomorrow night. What do I need to do to protect the plumbing system from freeze-related issues?
[/SUB]
ElectroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Team

If you have access to shore power use a small electric space heater set on low in the center of the trailer. Open all low point drains, drain hot water heater tank and outside shower. (This is what I do when I do not wish to winterize)

If no heat is available, winterize the unit.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...zing-Poll-2012
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

The only safe bet is to re-winterize the lines, fast and easy way is to open the low point drains and drain fresh water tank, then drain hot water tank, bypass hot water tank, put four gallons of pink rv antifreeze in fresh water tank, and turn on pump and open all spouts for a couple minutes till nothing but pink is coming out hot and cold side and don't forget to run the stool, and shower. We pushed it one year and broke every pipe in the camper going off the main line, it only took one night below freezing to screw us. It's way cheaper to buy four gallons of pink than replacing the lines.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #4

I was going to either run the electric space heater or the furnace overnight. What about using a compressor to blow all the water out? Is that a viable option.
[/SUB]
Old 02-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #5

Whats normal weather were you live 70's or 20's?

If 20's bite the bullet and winterise with pink RV Antifreeze.

If it typically stays above freezing, and only occasionally drops below 32* overnight then you can get a away with doing nothing or just blowing out the lines...assuming you have or have access to an air compressor. In my part of California we get overnight freezes about 15-20 nights, never stays below freezing durng the day and typically have a high in the high-40s or low-50's...I blow out the lines and have no issues.

Camco makes an adapter that is male hose thread on one side and air compressor quick connect on the other other. Walmart usually stocks it. Attach this to the city water inlet, then attach the air compressor (PSI set to ~40lbs). This pressurizes the plubming and lets you drain the lines buy running the sink and tub as well as opening the low point drains and outside shower one at a time. I generally empty the water heater tank first via the drain plug, but the compressed air will do that too -- just takes a bit longer.

When complete if the holding tank only has ~5 gallons or so, I leave it. There is plently of room for that to expand should it actually start to freeze. If you prefer you can dump it of add antifreeze to the holding tank.

Eitherway it probably just took me longer to type this that either blowing lines or pumping anti-freeze into will take.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

We also get out pretty early in may when there could be some freezing temperatures. If I leave 5 gallons in the fresh water tank won't that leave the fresh water drain full to possibly freeze?
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

My FW tanks drains are basically right off the tank...not much hose between the tank and valve. I guess it could freeze but haven't had any issues. The issue with freezing is exansion, so in that case wouldn't the ice likely just examand into the FW tank and not necessialy expand the hose to a point of rupture?

The Black/Grey holding tanks are different. There is a couple feet 2" pipe between the tanks and valve -- where I live it would be very uncommon to get cold enough for 2"ABS to freeze.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

We're just outside of Atlanta so the temps are generally warmer. The forecast is calling for below freezing temps overnight tomorrow and Thursday but highs near 50 during the day. Next week, there could be another night or two below 32 also. Since I'm still new and very excited about the TT, I've thought about staying in it overnight, hooked up to city water and shore power or a generator. If I did that, would I need to let the faucets drip or run a little?
[/SUB]
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

At 20 degrees the only safe thing to do is winterize with the pink stuff. Don't forget to drain the black and gray tank after you winterize. Also, pour at least 1 cup of antifreeze down the traps of all the sinks. If you decide to stay in the trailer, I would use the furnace and set the temp so it is comfortable enough to be in the unit with short sleeves. I would also open the cabinets where the sinks are located. You didn't mention if you had heated tanks. If not, I would definitely put antifreeze in the tanks.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Open the low point drains... open all the taps and the lever on the hot water tank.. if yours is like mine it will self drain. Once the holding tank is drained run the pump for 15-20 seconds to move the water out of the pump .. YES there will be a small amount of water left in the line but it will not hurt anything... water expands when freezing but with the line 99% empty it will not cause damage..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
The only safe bet is to re-winterize the lines, fast and easy way is to open the low point drains and drain fresh water tank, then drain hot water tank, bypass hot water tank, put four gallons of pink rv antifreeze in fresh water tank, and turn on pump and open all spouts for a couple minutes till nothing but pink is coming out hot and cold side and don't forget to run the stool, and shower. We pushed it one year and broke every pipe in the camper going off the main line, it only took one night below freezing to screw us. It's way cheaper to buy four gallons of pink than replacing the lines.
I would never put the pink stuff in my fresh water tank. There is no need and you just waste a lot of antifreeze, and make flushing your fresh water tank that much harder....you may have to fill and empty many times to get rid of the pink taste and smell. If you drain the tank, any small amount of water left in the tank will freeZe with no damage. It is only freezing in small, confined spaces that causes damage.

Just add a small take off hose on your FW pump. You can buy these winterizing kits anywhere RV stuff is sold and they are cheap. You drain your lines. Then buy 1 gallon of the pink stuff. Put the hose into the gallon and pump it through your system until pink stuff flows from every faucet, toilet, and shower. Be sure to isolate you hot water heater by turning the valves on the winterizing bypass. Given the small diameter of your water pipes, it usually takes less than 1 gallon to fill your pipes. Buy a second gallon to pour down your sink traps, in your toilet, and some into your grey and black tanks.

Has always worked for me and we usually have winters with some days as cold as -35.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

If i'm staying in the trailer with the heater or furnace running as the op has stated I wonder if the pink stuff is necessary in the fresh water system. If the temperature is going into the low 20,s it seems emptying all the fresh water(tank) drains and hot water(tank) drains as well as opening cupboard doors would be enough. I have done this as well as emptying my black and grey tank with waste tote and adding some antifreeze to them. You can always have a pale handy for flushing. I'm just worried about the stuff that is subjected to freezing. jmho
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
If i'm staying in the trailer with the heater or furnace running as the op has stated I wonder if the pink stuff is necessary in the fresh water system. If the temperature is going into the low 20,s it seems emptying all the fresh water(tank) drains and hot water(tank) drains as well as opening cupboard doors would be enough. I have done this as well as emptying my black and grey tank with waste tote and adding some antifreeze to them. You can always have a pale handy for flushing. I'm just worried about the stuff that is subjected to freezing. jmho
Best answer yet. If you are inside your TT and heating it, doing as you say is the best solution.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #14

To answer your question yes you can use an air compressor to blow out the lines. No need for the pink stuff. I have never used it in the water lines in any of my rv's. And it is -7 F today. Drain the freshwater tank and run the pump dry to get the water out of the pump. Put a little pink in the drains and you won't even have to leave the heat on.should only take about 20 minutes
Old 02-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post

Yes, having heat in the trailer and doing what you did is enough as mentioned din my first post. I`ve done this many times just using an electric heater. No need to do the full winterize if you have heat in the trailer with temps in the 20`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #16

The weakest link in my method might be the outside shower but I have removed the hose since I never use it. I've thought about keeping a piece of insulation in the outside shower compartment just to be safe.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #17

After 5 weeks in florida will be heading to Ky on Sunday into what is reported to be a wintery mix on Monday. Will be draining and bypassing the water heater before I leave so I can blow out the lines at a moments notice if I drive into freezing temps. In the past have done that at an Interstate rest area in about 10 minutes. Like someone said, remember the outside shower. If you are staying in the camper and using the furnace, that will send heat to the fresh water tank and lines so no worry there. If I don't do it before I will blow out the lines etc as soon as I get home.

Really no need to fret. Its a simple and quick thing to do.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote